Author Topic: fitting a Zumo with a 3CS  (Read 1242 times)

Offline cdo1uk

fitting a Zumo with a 3CS
« on: August 23, 2011, 20:19:11 »
I wanted to fit a 3CS from Eastern Beaver, mainly for fitting my Sat Nav and 12v suply. I was searching to find out if anyone else had fitted one to see how to run cables etc, couldn't find anything so I have done one, if your interested.  The Satnav I have wired into is a Garmin Zumo 660.

You can run the cables without stripping all the plastics off but I found it easier to do this as it gives more insite into how and where you run the wires.

I stated by feeding the power leads from the Zumo 660 down between the screen adjuster and faring, its tight but does fit.

Fitting the 3CS is really simple, just wire up the negative and live wires but don't fit the in line fues yet. You need to undo the two bolts at the side of the tank and lift the tank up so you can get under the expansion tank. Here you will find the plug that the 3CS plugs into and takes its switched reading from.

once you lift the tank you need to locate the plug to connect the 3CS, its cable tied together with the other wires, here...

undo the cable tie, take apart the plug and fit the new one inline...

refit the cable tie and ignore it for ever more.
lower the tank and refit, now you can find room for the relay and fues holder.... there should be plenty of room in and around the battery box area....  Now plug in your .... whatever you want to fit, in my case the Zumo 660, and fit the fuses.

switch on the ignition and fingers crossed you've done it right and it should be fine... easy.

Here is the Zumo 660 with the ignition on and taking power from the bike

and this shows it works as I turned off the ignition the Sat Nav now wants to turn off...

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: fitting a Zumo with a 3CS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:49:25 »
Does the 3CS have an unswitched outlet along with two switched, IYSWIM? That way it could power an intercom & GPS leaving the unswitched for a battery charging plug. The wording on the Eastern Beaver site seems to imply 1 + 2 and it does seem to be a very neat / tidy / small solution.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 21:01:35 »
Nice 'How to' cd01 !

The 'three circuit solution' allows you to choose on ordering whether you want 3 switched, or 2 switched and 1 unswitched circuits. Some people like their GPS not to switch off with the ignition, just do it manually I suppose...others want a power outlet to be unswitched to run say, a compressor without the ignition (and threfore lights) on as well...I got the 3CS on mine (2+1) and it does enough for me without going for the 8 circuit power solution! I run a charger plug-in line direct to the battery without using the 3CS (use slightly longer bolts on battery for more ring connections!)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:07:36 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
Nice 'How to' cd01 !

The 'three circuit solution' allows you to choose on ordering whether you want 3 switched, or 2 switched and 1 unswitched circuits. Some people like their GPS not to switch off with the ignition, just do it manually I suppose...others want a power outlet to be unswitched to run say, a compressor without the ignition (and therefore lights) on as well...I got the 3CS on mine (2+1) and it does enough for me without going for the 8 circuit power solution! I run a charger plug-in line direct to the battery without using the 3CS (use slightly longer bolts on battery for more ring connections!)

Thanks for that clarification, I like the idea of the GPS being switched so if I leave it switched on it won't flatten the battery when I forget it's on  :shy: And it does look like a neat installation in the pictures   :clap:

I'm used to having one of the small DIN sockets that's always live, so a compressor can be run from it / use it to charge the battery.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:43 »
I like the 3CS, but I don't think you have to worry about a flat battery if you leave your Sat Nav on (unless you left it overnight).

I left my live battery connected 660 on, showing location info & playing mp3's through the external speaker for 4 hours in Germany, had no problems starting the bike. Even more amazing was that this was in a public car park in a busy part of town (Koblenz) & it was still there when we got back to the bike!

Not knocking the 3CS in any way, its a fab bit of kit...I'm just too skint to get one... :violin:

Offline dsb79

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 21:16:09 »
Where can I get something like this within the UK?

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 22:52:41 »
It's make your own or order from him. He's a solid bloke, you can trust that your stuff will turn up. I've ordered some stuff myself from him in the past as have many others on here.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline dsb79

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:22 »
Ah that's good then ill order it on pay day then

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.