Author Topic: First service costs  (Read 5987 times)

Offline frez

Re: First service costs
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 13:07:33 »
Quote removed

Having checked the invoice I was charged 10.19 for a filter, 24.19 for oil, 1.06 for gaskets (oil plug gasket I suppose), 10.21 for consumables and 55.00 for an hours labour, and then 20% vat on the lot.

I can't imagine what the consumables charge was for. It has an automatic chain oiler so it definitely wasn't for chain grease, and I can't imagine they would use brake cleaner on it after just two weeks and 600 miles. Anyhow, I have sent them an email asking them what the charge was for...
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 13:57:12 »
I can't imagine what the consumables charge was for

Windscreen washer? :shrug:
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 14:01:31 »
Maybe the soap he used to wash his hands and the paper towels he used to dry them? If he's like me and he used disposable vinyl gloves those would count too? Could have been the air the mechanic had to breath while working on your bike?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline frez

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 14:12:38 »
Yes I was thinking vinyl gloves, and maybe a smear of grease.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 14:50:49 »
If they squirt a bit of WD40 somewhere, that gives them enough excuse to charge for consumables. But main dealers have always been a rip off.

The first service charge, or when it was labour free was never anything to do with the manufacturer, it was down to the dealer whether they charged or not. Many dealer will not give you your 600 mile service free now, and it used to be mostly only the labour you used to get free anyway. Most of them would have high prices for the oil & filter anyway, and add stupid rip off charges like 'consumables' to get their pound of flesh, they will usually get these parts cost up to at least £50 +. Now most of them have even stopped the free labour, and you have to specifically haggle for it when you buy a new bike.
When I've bought new bikes in the last few years..... I buy a genuine filter from the dealer and give it to my local mechanic. He just does an oil & filter change, stamps my service book for the 600 mile service and just charges me around £45.
I never use main dealers for servicing.... even when the bike is still under warranty. They are rip off merchants and deserve not to get any servicing business.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 14:59:58 »

Quote removed

Having checked the invoice I was charged 10.19 for a filter, 24.19 for oil, 1.06 for gaskets (oil plug gasket I suppose), 10.21 for consumables and 55.00 for an hours labour, and then 20% vat on the lot.

I can't imagine what the consumables charge was for. It has an automatic chain oiler so it definitely wasn't for chain grease, and I can't imagine they would use brake cleaner on it after just two weeks and 600 miles. Anyhow, I have sent them an email asking them what the charge was for...[/quote]

Yes it will be the crush washer on the sump plug.... With VAT that's £1.27, for one single f***** crush washer !

Use a copper washer, they will last for many years of oil changes.

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 15:04:05 »
£60.90 for the 600 mile service, just had the 4000 mile service done, that was £135.10. Done at Johns of Romford where I bought the bike and can thouroughly recommend them  :thumb:

Offline FragglePete

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 19:03:13 »
Quote removed

A definately +1 for the blokes at Shrewton - used to take my VFR750 there when I worked down at Middle Wallop (was sort of on the way) but haven't used them for a while as I've since changed job.  However, I think I'm going to start using them again as I haven't been too happy with my local bike service place.

Pete
FragglePete

Offline exbandit

• Bike: DL650ALOXP
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 20:17:41 »
Quote removed

bloody hell how can they get away with that,id never go back.
Exbandit

Offline exbandit

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 20:22:40 »

Quote removed
I discussed the service intervals with the salesman and at that point the service costs were made clear. I can understand that you would feel a bit miffed,  <!-- s:angry-tappingfoot: -->:angry-tappingfoot:<!-- s:angry-tappingfoot: --> after all you've just spent umpteen thousand £££s with them!

I will probably get the next couple done by main dealers to make sure that the warranty isn't rendered invalid. Then one of my mates will be doing the bits I can't. (He doesn't know this yet though... <!-- s:grin: -->:grin:<!-- s:grin: --> )

My current car (company) didn't need a service until 12500 - why do bikes still need a first service at all? <!-- s:shrug: -->:shrug:<!-- s:shrug: -->  <!-- s:shrug: -->:shrug:<!-- s:shrug: -->[/quote]

that is a very good point,I think cars have been on the line of this for many yrs now.
its about time the motorcycle industry got on the same line,I can't see why not,or is it just a final way of getting a few more pounds off us?.
Exbandit

Offline Spencert231

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 20:43:06 »
I was always under the assumption that we had to use a Suzuki dealer for servicing in order to to keep within the rules of a warranty, wrong! I just picked up on the CBF1000 forum that providing the bike is serviced by a recognised garage it uses authorised Suzuki parts and the service is stamped your bike is fulfilling the criteria set by the manufacturer.

Spencer

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 20:44:10 »
I think the main difference is that car's have their engine and gearbox oil separate. They can use specific gear oil that can handle the shearing forces better. Sure you get bikes that have a separate gearbox, but there are other factors to consider as well. The other major factor is that motorbike engines are more 'high performance' than cars, generally revs higher and power to capacity rating is higher. Then there's also the fact that motorbikes have less oil because there just isn't that much space to keep a lot of it. Cars have much more oil and that means they can handle more contaminants which increases the time they can use the oil.  There's probably some other stuff that I can't think of now.

Some manufacturer's do have longer service intervals, I think the new Ducati's are on a 7.5k service interval. You'll notice that all the newer bikes on longer service intervals specify good fully synthetic oil.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline baz tarred

• Bike: Vstrom 800re
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 20:52:21 »
Slightly off the topic of 1st service costs, I've just had the  20.000mle service done by Steve at Bladerunner Motorcycles, valve check, throttle body synch, new chain and sprockets fitted the whole shebang including parts £350 and he comes to you and you can watch and learn if you want. He came recommended by Longman,I'm well pleased.  :lala:

Offline exbandit

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 16:47:36 »
Quote from: "findoutnow"
600 mile service at M@S newcastle was £152 a month since ,and yes I did feel cheated especially after paying £20 for a ride on a demo bike.  ###  no doubt they will read this.
is that normal I can understand a deposit in case you drop it but that's a cheek to ask for that when you could be spending £1000s of your hard earned cash.
Exbandit

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 17:56:09 »
I have been on the Suzuki website and asked if they have a set price or any comment...watch this space....
No bike at present.......

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 19:03:53 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"
I have been on the Suzuki website and asked if they have a set price or any comment...watch this space....
This reply from Suzuki today:

Thank you for your recent email.

Firstly, with regards to the first service, this is not offered free of charge by Suzuki GB however; we would suggest that you discuss this with your selling Dealership as some Dealers will offer their customers a free first service.

Short, sweet and sore arsed from sitting on the fence!
No bike at present.......

Offline vaiocatering

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 18:59:40 »
hello all

my 600 mile service was due and in the end I did it myself for the grand total of £60 for parts, synthetic oil,filter,K and N air filter,top quality plugs and chain oil all on the famous auction website at great prices :sarc: ,bless ebay

went over every visible screw and nut on the bike to look for the obvious.
found that the Mexican  mechanic  that had fitted the sump guard to the bike before I collected it had only fitted 3 of the 4 required bolts to the bike (sounds better now as no vibration at higher speeds) (it has been driving me mad)

there were no washers fitted to the rear sump guard nuts either

brakes all fine as only 650 dry miles with factory grease still visible.

bike now runs a lot smother and more  responsive,nearly at 1000 miles so can open her up a little more and feel the power of the DL650.

the dealer I got my bike from went bust(Stratford upon Avon),the nearest Suzuki dealer to me was (lemmington spa) and they wanted £130 for oil and filter change only and a few checks  :angry-tappingfoot:

they kindly explained that only the stealer dealer I bought the bike from would do the first service for free as Suzuki do not offer this bonus any more the same as most dealers now I understand.

I took the bike to my new Suzuki dealers as I have moved up north to a  warmer climate recently  and I explained my situation with the service problems,the bloke  had a little look around the bike and then he stamped my book and  told me I looked genuine......warranty en tact and result

result and  :welcome2:
sometimes purple is the only way

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 09:08:50 »
Seems to me that if a dealer asks you to pay for a test ride then you should consider yourself very lucky. They have just given you a warning about what kind of people they are and you know you should never do business with them.

Walk away!

Offline metbandit1

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 22:06:28 »
Quote from: "Mad Phil"
My son paid £40 at Castledines, Leicester.. Really good dealer, I have used them for 20+years :thumb:

Surely just parts only?

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 15:10:25 »
The first service on my we strom was parts only.  Stil thought £8 was a bit steep though.
As for service intervals, I think they are very short on the weestrom.
My Aprilia has a servce interval of 6250 miles with oil and folter change every 12,500 miles (although I change every 6000 miles anyway).  And the 1500 Goldwing (OK so its almost a car) 8000 miles.

Keith
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA