Author Topic: Bike options for £1k  (Read 2426 times)

Offline temporaryescapee

Bike options for £1k
« on: July 15, 2011, 22:11:24 »
I am planning a week in the alps in September - was going on my own but a pal of mine wants to come along if he can sort himself a bike for £1k or so.

I am thinking Yamaha Diversion 600 or Suzuki GSX600 perhaps - any other suggestions at that budget?  Requirements are: not too big/heavy; comfortable; reliable.

Cheers
Andy

Offline frez

Re: Bike options for £1k
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 00:56:14 »
Pre-2000 CBR600F, Thundercat, GSXR600 if you are lucky.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Oldie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:23:29 »
Suzuki Freewind.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline bencav

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:54:31 »
Not the most fun bike, but have to say a diversion 600 would be a good bet. even better a 900 if you can find one!!

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:06:39 »
No bike at present.......

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:31:58 »
I have used this Hire Company many times before due to the fact that most rental companies don't let you take bikes into Europe unless it's one of their shaft driven bikes, this one does  :grin: & no mileage charge  :thumb:

Its a small business run from home, very close to ferry ports, Poole, Portsmouth.

I hired a V-stom 2 years ago & on my return went out & bought my own, I enjoyed it that much!! :thumb:

http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.uk/index.html

Offline biker1

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 10:08:20 »
201 to 2003 Fazer. Great little allrounder -  and my last bike so I'm biased. Just not all day comfortable the way a strom is. If you need upright riding and roomy, definitely get a TDM. You might also get a CBF600 for that sort of money - I'd take that over a Divvy.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:55:09 »
Thanks everyone - that's really helpful and much appreciated.

I'd not thought about hiring - that looks a really good option.  

I'm not sure how my pal is going to feel about it though.  We hired two Harleys from eaglerider.com and did a 2 week US trip in 2008 for his 60th (amazing trip but another story).  Anyway, he locked up the front at some lights, came off and slid into the back of my bike.  It cost him a big insurance excess and we had a hell of a fight to get them to return the deposit on my bike (they didn't want to accept that as it was a bike they were insuring that ran into the back of mine they needed to foot the bill!).

If he decides to buy you've given me some really good ideas.  If that VFR is tidy that looks like an option I would go for.  I also remember my ZZR600 fondly so that's another good shout - I guess the CBR600s and Thundercats are similar?   Also I'd somehow never come across the Freewind - looks good too.

It's good to have a decent sized list since I guess he will need to be a bit flexible.

I'll let you know what he ends up doing.

Cheers
Andy

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 21:53:22 »
Just got back from buying a tidy 600 diversion - a 98/S with 22k on the clock and 10mths mot for £700.  Not the most sexy perhaps but my (short) mate can get his feet on the floor and he was happy with it.  Roll on the alps in September now!

Offline bencav

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 22:11:03 »
Quote from: "temporaryescapee"
Just got back from buying a tidy 600 diversion - a 98/S with 22k on the clock and 10mths mot for £700.  Not the most sexy perhaps but my (short) mate can get his feet on the floor and he was happy with it.  Roll on the alps in September now!

Fantastic choice!!! What colour did you buy?

Carry a set of spare relays - Mine all failed in quick succession leaving me with no indicators in the dark on one occassion (mine was a 2002 bike with 12k miles)

and, just for the sake of it...Pics??

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:23 »
Quote from: "bencav"

Thanks bencav; going to give it a good service in the next couple of weeks and put together a list of spares to take so will include relays.  Any views on tyres since will change these before we go?

Cheers
Andy

Offline bencav

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:49:41 »
looks smart as a dart that!!

Sooo pleased it isn't the incipid turquoise colour - God I hate that colour!!!

Pity you hadn't sorted this a few weeks back - I had a brand new rear wheel, tyre and sprcket that I just gave to a diversion forum member.

Anyway...new tyres - Has to be BT45s, cheap as chips and gripy as you like, they are a fantastic tyre on this bike! I think there may be a struggle getting a rear with most tyres as it is an odd size, but BT45s never let me down for the worst few months of 2010, and they were an aging worn pair that were on when I got the bike.

Have a decca here if you need any assistance, they are a friendly bunch too:

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/

Have fun!!!

Ben

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:07 »
Quote from: "temporaryescapee"
Quote from: "bencav"

Thanks bencav; going to give it a good service in the next couple of weeks and put together a list of spares to take so will include relays.  Any views on tyres since will change these before we go?

Cheers
Andy

Looks good, hopefully it'll do the trip and you can sell it for more than you paid for it. Happy days all!
And we now have an idea of where to hire a crane from!!!
No bike at present.......

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 17:31:14 »
Have a decca here if you need any assistance, they are a friendly bunch too:

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/

Have fun!!!

Ben

Thanks again - I have passed this on to my pal to help him get up to speed.  His last bike was a triumph speed twin (the original, and not as a classic :old: ) so I am sure it will be helpful.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 20:14:29 »
We got round to servicing this in the last week - oil, filters, new pads and brake fluid (which clearly had not been changed for a VERY long time).

Bit of a shock when we got to the air box - was full of oil which had soaked into the air filter.  Used your suggested link bencav (thanks) and it turned out to be blocked breathers where oil had emulsified over the years - apparently a common divvy problem.

New bt45s going on Tuesday and then my mate is all ready to roll for our alps trip.

Now I've got to sort the eve.  Needs new tyres front and back.  I am going to go for anakee IIs I think based upon commentos from a few of you.  I've been quoted £220 including wheel removal a fitting - sound about right?

Offline frez

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 21:24:04 »
Seeing as a Diversion has no chance of going off road you may as well fit it with road tyres not adventure tyres. Sport Touring tyrse from Michelin, Dunlop, Continental and Bridgestone are all good. I've heard the Maxxis sport touring tyres are pretty good and cheap too.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 23:27:18 »
Ah my typo causing confusion!  The anakees are for my Vee, not the divvy.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 04:46:21 »
I think £220 fitted Ride in Ride out is a fairly decent price for Anakee II's

All you can do is shop around your area and get the best price. I usually get the tyres fitted to loose wheels and get my Little bro to refit the wheels - At least I know they've been done right. Over the years I've had some bad experiences with wheels not been put back on straight or the chain incorrectly adjusted.

Good luck on your tour - Jealous as owt
C'mon spring I want to get riding