Author Topic: Anakee 2  (Read 33424 times)

Offline Countrysailor

Re: Anakee 2
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2012, 19:37:12 »
All well with me now. Had a crackin' ride today with full confidence in the tyres, that little flip movement has vanished and I'm circulating any empty roundabouts 3 or 4 times just for the joy of it.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline frez

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2012, 19:06:48 »
Reply from Pirelli:

Thank you for your recent email regarding Pirelli Tyres,

Brand new tyres (all Treads/Makes) will need a 100 Mile "Scrub in" duration to bed the compound, as heavy braking and heavy acceleration must be avoided in order to bed the tyre in this course of mileage advised.

Regards,

Mannie

Pirelli Moto UK
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2012, 08:42:09 »
Interesting link to a very recent 'scrubbing in' incident (anecdotal, and not anakees)

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... of-me.html
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:29 »
Should've fitted Anakees :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2012, 22:37:02 »
Just had my new rear fitted, in time for my trip to Ullapool for the ABR rally  :)

Think I'll be taking the scouring pad and soapy water to it just to make sure  :auto-dirtbike:
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2012, 22:37:26 »
Getting new Anakee 2's fitted next Thursday. Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich best offer for Ride-in-Ride-out is £299.... talk about expensive! This will be the last time this bike goes to Orwell as even the simplest of tasks performed there costs me more than £100 a time! Part of me wonders if they're constantly screwing me because I paid sticker price for the bike (I paid it because the bike is worth that to me, and I had at that time more money than sense). Do stealerships flag customers as "suckers" when they pay sticker price? I'll bet they do!

Anyway... this thread has convinced me to change up for the A2s. Currently rolling on Maxxis Tyres I had fitted in Winter 2010 as an "emergency replacement" for the at-that-point entirely worn out Deathwings. The front Maxxis tyre is practically new in terms of wear, so I'll be bringing that back with me as an "emergency spare". The rear Maxxis is, however, more bald than Captain Picard on Chemotherapy (at least, on the center line anyway)!

The Deathwings gave me less than 7,000 miles. The Maxxis have given me slightly less than 10,000 miles. I'm hoping to at least match that with the A2s!

Annoying thing is I'm going to be doing the run-in in heavy rain, with (obviously) soaking wet roads. That makes for miserable riding for at least 100 miles, but it has to be better than riding on a treadless rear as I am at the moment ;)
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2012, 06:23:28 »
Most other people seem to get quotes nearer £200, so your quote is way over the top.

Go somewhere else !
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline stibbs

« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2012, 07:20:33 »
Quote from: "LaKraven"
Getting new Anakee 2's fitted next Thursday. Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich best offer for Ride-in-Ride-out is £299.... talk about expensive! This will be the last time this bike goes to Orwell as even the simplest of tasks performed there costs me more than £100 a time! Part of me wonders if they're constantly screwing me because I paid sticker price for the bike (I paid it because the bike is worth that to me, and I had at that time more money than sense). Do stealerships flag customers as "suckers" when they pay sticker price? I'll bet they do!

Anyway... this thread has convinced me to change up for the A2s. Currently rolling on Maxxis tyres I had fitted in Winter 2010 as an "emergency replacement" for the at-that-point entirely worn out Deathwings. The front Maxxis tyre is practically new in terms of wear, so I'll be bringing that back with me as an "emergency spare". The rear Maxxis is, however, more bald than Captain Picard on Chemotherapy (at least, on the centre line anyway)!

The Deathwings gave me less than 7,000 miles. The Maxxis have given me slightly less than 10,000 miles. I'm hoping to at least match that with the A2s!

Annoying thing is I'm going to be doing the run-in in heavy rain, with (obviously) soaking wet roads. That makes for miserable riding for at least 100 miles, but it has to be better than riding on a treadless rear as I am at the moment ;)

Hi pal, drop Orwell, they're too pricey!
Go to autofit in Britannia rd Ipswich, ask for adey and he'll sort you out. I'll bet you save at least £90 on Orwell. Good luck. :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2012, 07:32:59 »
£89 front- £115 rear. Fitted by local independent, who only gets spanish or french made michelin tyres. One bloke was there having a worn out chineese pilot road changed. There was no guts to the main carcass of the thing. Scary when you see how thin the carcass is compared to a spanish one

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:57 »
As has been said, you're getting ripped off, cancel it and find somewhere else. Also, assuming the Maxxis tyres you have are the dual sport Presa Detour ones, you can use the Maxxis on the front with an Anakee 2 on the rear without problems. I did about 15k miles with that combination and it worked well. The Maxxis will be worn out more or less when you need your next rear Anakee 2 and then you can put new Anakees front and rear again.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline frez

« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2012, 13:52:29 »
Got a pair fitted today for £211 by my local mechanic. Too early to tell what they are like but they felt fine on the ride home.

Offline frez

« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:49 »
Initial thoughts.

At very low speed coming into the drive I could hear/feel the chunkier tread pattern. On the damp roads this morning the turn in was quick, and the bike held its line well. I have a lot more confidence in the grip than on the old worn Road Attack 2s, but that would be the same with any new tyres. Nothing bad to report.

Offline ChrisGrandaB

• Bike: V=Strom 650 (K7)
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2013, 22:28:18 »
Been looking at replacing my tyres with Anakee 2's and need some advice.
Sorry if its been covered already.
I'm in NE England and can get 2 x Anakee 2's for £178 online with free delivery.
Anyone got a rough idea how much I should be expecting to pay for fitting, valves, balancing etc?
Any NE strommers recommend a fitter?
Also need MOT and service at same time so may be able to get a cheaper combined price ?? :fix:

Offline ChrisGrandaB

« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2013, 22:37:25 »
Also, pardon my ignorance but when you say;

Quote from: "Juvecu"
The Anakees turn a lot faster than then the Trailwings, you'll get use to it quickly :thumb:

What exactly does that mean?
Does it mean I'll be able to corner a bit faster with the better grip?

Also, can you please expand on "scrubbing in"?
I'm a newish biker and am still on my first bike with its original tyres.
Cheers.

Offline frez

« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2013, 23:33:59 »
Phone around for fitting prices, I would guess somewhere between 20 and 50+vat for the pair, so get some quotes.

Turn a lot faster means less input by the rider to initiate a turn. Often times as tyres age and square off with use you have to use more and more input to initiate a turn, it goes unnoticed because it is a gradual process over a long period of time. Then when you get new tyres with a fresh round profile you immediately notice how much easier the bike is to turn.

Scrubbing in refers to the light use you give new tyres while they are new and shiny as most tyres do not give optimum grip when new but can take say 100 miles to get to a state that they are giving very good grip. Some tyres even feel a bit slippy when brand new. Basically take it easy on the throttle and brakes when you have new tyres on until you are happy with the level of grip.

Offline ChrisGrandaB

« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2013, 00:40:32 »
Thanks Frez.
That makes perfect sense but I guess you don't know what you don't know!
I'll be careful!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2013, 09:04:43 »
Quote from: "ChrisGrandaB"
Also need MOT and service at same time so may be able to get a cheaper combined price ?? :fix:

Try Darren at Newsham Motorcycles (01670 353155) for both tyres and MOT. The premises are a bit run down but he's a perfectionist and will treat your bike with the care it deserves. He's very competitive on price too but will not fit tyres not purchased from himself. It's where I go for tyres etc and well worth a look  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline frez

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2013, 13:25:48 »
Got to try the wet weather performance of the Anakee 2's last night. It was raining all the way home, not heavy rain, but enough for the road to be wet.

I found the front to have a hint of twitchiness when going over uneven surfaces on occasion, for example cats eyes. I found the rear to have a hint of spin up under hard throttle on occasion.

My first impressions of wet weather performance are that they are not as good as the Pilot Road 3s (PR3's) but better than the Road Attack 2s (RA2's).

Given the winter weather and most of the commute being in the dark at the moment I haven't used them edge to edge in the dry but nevertheless they feel pretty good.

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2013, 16:31:24 »
Going to put an Anakee 2 on my rear wheel.  The book says H rating but surprisingly I've found some places selling V rated cheaper than H.  Is their any disadvantage in fitting the higher speed rating V tyre instead of the normal H rated.  I wondered if there was likely to be any difference in wear rates.  Any input welcomed

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2013, 17:02:48 »
There will be very little difference between the two tyres. In many cases the same tyres are simply marked differently by the manufacturer ! In other cases the V rated tyre may have a slightly heavier duty construction so would be slightly heavier and may have a higher weight rating too. I used V rated tyres on my Vee mostly because they were only £4 more than H rated ones. The argument for using H rated rubber is often made with the question 'how often do you sit over 130 mph' ? Well, that's why I used V's...

P.S. with the secondary throttle butterflies removed speeds around 145mph are possible on Autobahns.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'