Author Topic: Anakee 2  (Read 33423 times)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Anakee 2
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2012, 13:59:45 »
Plenty of videos on you-tube etc of owners binning their bikes on new tyres, usually within sight of the supplying dealers.

Offline frez

« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2012, 14:20:11 »
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2012, 15:01:58 »
I've never bothered scrubbing in Anakee 2 tyres, I ride as normal right after fitting them. It has to be said that I've been lucky enough not to ever have rain the same day I get new tyres *touch wood*, but then I'd ride accordingly if it is wet anyway.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2012, 15:21:23 »
Quote from: "frez"
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=2&f=74&t=1148047&mid=0&nmt=Tyre+%22Release+compound%22
Interesting read. I had a pair of Anakees fitted this morning and tiptoed away from the fitters, dawdled round the first roundabout, went for a 5 mile charge on the motorway then headed out onto some lovely twisties. 60 miles later had full confidence in them. I'm sure it is just a head thing, as soon as I relaxed after a few miles they felt planted, chalk and cheese with the discarded Trailwings. If I had read this article beforehand I could have probably dispensed with the tiptoe bit. Well happy and thank you to all the pioneers on here who tried and then recommended them.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline frez

« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2012, 15:28:39 »
In spite of the article I linked above I do still think it is important to be careful when you first fit new tyres.

On the one hand, at the very least, the profile is going to be different so will take a little getting used to, and then at the extremely bad end of things, the tyre fitter might have put his greasy hand on the tyre when fitting it and not cleaned the grease off it afterwards.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2012, 19:01:15 »
Looking at how little difference there is in how the Anakee's surface looks now compared to when it was new and how hard it is to see how far over I've been, I'm pretty convinced that they don't need dollied as much as I did but, I'd rather be pottering about than trying to figure out the way back to the road....

It's markedly different from the TWs as there was a very distinct surface change from new to even slightly used.

I'll know the next time.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:59 »
Strange thing with the front tyre.  It is directional, but seems to be the wrong way around, with the arrow properly pointing in the direction of travel.  The v pattern is the opposite from what you'd expect.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2012, 18:15:05 »
I had the same thoughts about fronts until one day I was working on the front end and it suddenly all made sense. It is right, it just looks wrong.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2012, 19:27:16 »
rear for accelerating, front is for stopping, hence the tread pattern is reversed.

took me a while to figure out what was wrong with them when first fitted too!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2012, 11:54:17 »
Had a good ride out yesterday on the new Anakees. I know from everyones feedback that they are super grippy etc but am I alone in noticing that there's a  small spot when leaning that just feels like a little drop. It's as if you come off the rounded bit onto another section. Looking at the profile there is a section that tapers up to the sidewall. I'm sure it's fine and I must just drive on through it and know they will hold. It's almost imperceptable, but there. Any comments on this?
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline mjc506

« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2012, 12:00:27 »
No, I felt it too. I think the profile changes a touch, but you can ride over it, no problems there :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2012, 10:28:42 »
Me too, feels weird, like the bikes letting go or twitching over a crappy surface.....I hate that feeling and it'll make me go back to the Tourances!

Offline Glider65

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2012, 07:42:22 »
So, having dropped my Wee about 300 yds from my house, 0030 March 1st 2005 (I'd been looking at it for a couple of weeks) because I turned VERY sharply left on brand new tyres, in the damp, I would say you need to run them in!

but went looking for any video evidence of such escapades:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:20 »
Seen the top one before.
Have always managed to fit new tytes when is lashing it down. Last rear was put back on bike in the dry. Did have a few small twitches in the first 50 miles  and that was taking it easy. You still have release agent on them. A coating smeared on the mold so the tyre can be removed when ready. New format of not it'll have some silicone left on it. Possibly if there saying its ready to race. It might have had a machine pre scrub the tyre before dispatch.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:11 »
There is still a release agent and the surface of the tyre is still shiny when you get it fitted.

There is a requirement to run it in but I guess the distance you choose to use to run it in depends on the rider, if its dry then for me under 50 miles, if its wet... probably longer, would need to wait for it to be dry!
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline frez

« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:32 »
I've never had a new tyre let go on me, and whilst I don't ride 100% when they are brand new, I don't baby them either.

The only time I have had tyres let go are when the tyre or the road has been contaminated with oil/diesel, one time was when the bike was recovered on a dirty flat bed so the tyres got contaminated and I started riding my R1100RT sideways :)

My theory, and I could be wrong, is that riders that experience a tyre letting go when new have either a tyre contaminated by the fitters greasy hands or greasy ramp/floor, have hit a patch of contaminated road, or have suffered a 'moment' with the new profile and done something daft.

Accidents would be far more common if all tyres were slippy from new.

Offline frez

« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2012, 10:47:25 »
I asked the following question of a few tyre manufacturers this morning:

"Is a 'release compound' used when molding motorcycles tyres? Do brand new motorcycle tyres give less grip until they are 'scrubbed in', and if so, how long does this 'scrubbing in' phase take?"

Avon have responded with:

Hi Phil,

We do not use any release agents on our motorcycle tyres, but brand new tyres will require 'running in' and below is our standard recommendation.

When new m/c tyres are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power until a reasonable 'running in' distance has been covered. 100 dry miles (160km) is the recommended minimum (discount any wet miles covered).

Tyre should then be visually examined and their inflation pressure re-checked before riding.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ash Vowles
Motorcycle Design Engineer

Offline frez

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2012, 12:23:11 »
Michelins response (which implies they do use a releasing agent):

The requirement to bed in new tyres is not just because of the releasing agent.  It is also to check that the tyres are seated correctly (not spun on the wheel), as well as to help scrub off both, fitting lubricant and possibly releasing agent and to prepare the tyre.  Going from a near worn out set with very little tread movement that has worn to your driving style, to a brand new pair that will have more tread (tread movement) and therefore feel different to the worn pair.  You could also be changing tyre manufacturer and tyre requirements, as in going from a touring tyre to a more sports orientated set up or vice versa.  We, as well as the tyre dealer would recommend running a new pair of tyres in for at least 100 miles.

Offline Sven

Anakee 2
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2012, 14:04:00 »
Was in a tyre fitters last saturday. Saw a poster on the wall by Dunlop. Said exactly the same as Avon & Michelin - we recommend 100 dry miles & don't use full power at first, then check tyres & pressures. Think they're all just covering themselves against any sort of claim really!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2012, 15:59:15 »
+1 to that, legal yap yap and their way of saying: "We're not sure that tyre won't delaminate on you so take it easy for a while so that if it does you won't be falling too hard" (...and if it does we're just going to tell you "we told you so!")
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog