Author Topic: Carry a tyre repair kit  (Read 5522 times)

Offline ADV.john

Re: Carry a tyre repair kit
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 10:49:38 »
I've used this on my tourances. they worked a treat.
http://www.stopngo.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 14:57:57 »
Three days after I had a puncture from a two inch screw professionally repaired, I got a three inch roofing nail through the same tyre.   :shrug:  

Plugged it myself using Stop n Go kit, I'll let you know how I get on next month after I do a 2k tour on it  :grin:

(if it pops and I die, you have my permission to use this thread as a warning about the dangers of repairing your tyres  :thumb: )
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline scep

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 15:00:52 »
Quote from: "mx_ritchie13"
... but I've also been told that the worms won't work on my Tourances because of the metal banding within. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
All kits I've seen have a dirty great reamer to cut any steel belt strands near the hole so they don't chop the worm/mushroom bung off. It's one reason why the hole is then too big (over 3mm for V rated tyres) for a professional repair.

Offline mx_ritchie13

• Service Not Self
  • Bike: 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1989 Honda C90
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 14:16:11 »
Quote from: "Hutchie"
I've been on Tourances for over a year now, 3rd rear and 2nd front.
I love them.

Never been any issue doing the wee worm thing, the scary bit is you have to make the hole bigger, but just do it, it works out a treat.
Thanks Hutchie much appreciated.

Ritchie

:auto-dirtbike:

Offline Sparx

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 20:20:40 »
Personally I don't want a flat tyre at any speed or location!
For the last 30+ years I have had all new tyres filled with OKO or equivalent gloop.
Had a piece of fencing strainer wire go right through and back out of my GL1100 wings rear tyre as I was Leaving a campsite in Germany.
Pulled it out with pliers, two green spots on tyre to show where puncture would have been & rode home at usual velocity, no probs.
Also believe cooling effect helps tyre life, almost 10,000mls on original trail wings and still legal tread left.
Had wee tyres done at 'Brightona' a month after buying it new, will certainly get same done to new Anakees when I eventually change them.
First time I used said stuff was on my CX500, part of prize given by Kent police at a road safety competition, they used it in all their high speed traffic vehicles.
Rode fast - Too old to 'die young'!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:08 »
Ditto.. I've been using Ultraseal for about 10 years and never knowingly had a puncture since. Very useful if you're traveling abroad and don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and maybe having to wait days sometimes for a new tyre!

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 21:22:30 »
So is the OKO / Ultraseal stuff really that good??  There must be a downside?

I had always thought it was over promoted and paid no attention, may have to think again if it is draw back free.

Offline scep

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 01:04:58 »
Quote from: "stromonoff"
a) if the puncture(s) self-seals then you may not know that your tye is damaged
b) if it doesn't self seal then you need a repair kit anyway
c) tyre fitters / repairers everywhere will curse your name  :grin:

Offline Strommer

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:48 »
Quote from: "scep"
Quote from: "stromonoff"
a) if the puncture(s) self-seals then you may not know that your tye is damaged
b) if it doesn't self seal then you need a repair kit anyway
c) tyre fitters / repairers everywhere will curse your name  :grin:

a) - sounds like a bonus....
b) - always wondered about that - guess that would be the ultimate "drive slowly till you get home" repair
c) - price they charge I want a Braveheart blue face (UIltraseal spray) on any fitter that replaces my tyre - the comedy value must be worth £50 alone  :neen:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Sparx

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2011, 19:07:24 »
In answer to scep. It shows a bright unmissable spot where the hole was,
 I have never known a puncture it can't seal, which is why 'old bill' use it,
and the latest stuff cleans off the rim quite easily, I do tell the fitters it's in there though so they don't get a bootfull.
Last lot cost around £20 for both wheels, remove valve core, insert goo, refit/reinflate tyre, JD!
Great peace of mind when running for a ferry!
Rode fast - Too old to 'die young'!

Offline Strommer

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 20:09:58 »
Quote from: "Sparx"
... I do tell the fitters it's in there though so they don't get a bootfull...

No sense of fun... :shy:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline scep

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 21:51:03 »
Quote from: "Sparx"
In answer to scep. It shows a bright unmissable spot where the hole was,
 I have never known a puncture it can't seal, which is why 'old bill' use it,
and the latest stuff cleans off the rim quite easily, I do tell the fitters it's in there though so they don't get a bootfull.
Last lot cost around £20 for both wheels, remove valve core, insert goo, refit/reinflate tyre, JD!
Great peace of mind when running for a ferry!
fair enough, I might have a look  - what do you you use and where from?  ta.

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 21:59:20 »
the ultra seal can sometimes cause the tyre to become unbalanced /vibraton at speed and is a right pain in the arse to clean up if you do change the tyre
the met police don't use it in their bike tyres

badger1050

Offline exbandit

• Bike: DL650ALOXP
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 15:38:37 »
I got a kit as shown here.
for the sake of a few pounds its well worth having one under the seat
I remember back in the 70s we would dream of such things as this and a battery compressor
was somthing that only dr who would have had.
and as for mobile phones,hell I'm showing my age................ :old:
Exbandit

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 14:02:58 »
I followed this thread a while back but never acted on any of the good advice mentioned.  More fool me......

This morning I just got a puncture in the front tyre (middle of the tread) on the way to work.  I had no puncture repair kit so had to call the AA.

The chap arrived and we found a piece of what looks like a shard of ceramic tile embedded in the tyre.  The wound is about 3mm x 4mm and in the thickest part of the tread.  The bike was new this year and only has 2400 mile on the clock.  He left the 'foreign body' in the tyre, squeezed a tub of green Slime in via the valve, reinserted the valve body thing and pumped the tyre up to full pressure. The checked for air leaks with soapy liqud.

The AA chap left me with a Slime leaflet entitled 'Instructions for the tyre repairer'.   (The leaflet has the AA branding on it so they seem to be working together in using this stuff.)  The leaflet states 'The use of Slime tyre sealant does not affect the repairability of the tyre, assuming all other criteria for undertaking a repair are met.'
It also has a safety information section:
'Do not drive faster than 65mph.  ... Ensure you arrange a permanent tyre repair as soon as possible, at the latest within 500 miles of the temporary repair.'

I rode it back home very very gently.  Now I'm not sure what to do, especially as it's the front.  The tyre (OEM TrailWing) is almost unused except for the small puncture wound that I now have.   What do people think about getting it professionally repaired?  Apparently that means taking the tyre off to fix it from the inside.  I'm assuming that makes for a much safer/stronger fix than a temporary mushroom plug from the outside.  I don't ride that fast generally anyway so I am thinking that a permanent professional repair will do me for now, until I can justify some Anakee IIs....

Any thoughts or helpful perspectives would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 14:30:16 »
I'd have the tyre taken off and wash out the Slime. It easily washes out with just water, might need to use a plastic bristle brush to help it come off quicker. The hole is very small and I would plug it myself and be happy with it until the tyre needs replacement. If you feel more at ease letting someone else do it then that's up to you. Don't bother trying to remove the tyre yourself, it's a damn hassle and you'll likely mark the rims on your shiny new bike. In my experience everyone has a different opinion, the worst ones I've heard have often come from people working tyre shops (and some of the best ones too for that matter.) If it looks like the bloke is just trying to sell you a new tyre then he probably doesn't care a rat's about your safety or about giving an honest opinion about the repair.

Get a tyre repair kit and a mini compressor, then next time you have to get an old tyre replaced hit a nail into it at an angle (not so deep that it damages the rim inside) and pull it out. Now repair it with your tyre repair kit and you'll know what to do when the smelly stuff hits the fan in the middle of nowhere on a cold and dark night when you're on your way to stop an alien invasion and time of is of the essence (or something similar) :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 15:02:34 »
Thank you Juvecu.    That was a swift reply!   :ty:

I'll find a tyre repair place then and get it fixed professionally, I hope to use the tyres for a good while yet.  Although they might swear at me when I tell them about the Slime.  I'll blame the AA though.

You've got me thinking.  I might carry some Slime myself for a while until the tyres are old enough to get replaced.  Then, as you suggested,  when they are old and knackered I can practice the plug method without fear of wrecking a perfectly good tyre.

Do the mini compressors just clip onto the battery or do you have a power outlet installed on your bike?  (is that naive?)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 15:19:24 »
Others will probably be along with opinions too, you might want to wait for those before assuming I'm always right (not that I will hold it against you :grin:)

As for the connectors on the pumps, it depends on the pump. IIRC the Slime pump has a connector that can connect direct to the battery and that you can quickly connect to if you need to. It has clamps too and I prefer to use the clamps. Don't know what the Airman has, but it's probably one of those or one that goes in a cigarette lighter socket. It doesn't really matter what it uses, you can even cut the wires and install what you want it to have. The Airman is smaller than the Slime pump, if my Slime pump keels over I'll get the Airman next time, it's cheaper and takes up less space. You only really need it in an emergency so, IMHO, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even a small bicycle hand pump could get the pressure high enough (20 psi?) to get you to the next service station.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 22:45:55 »
Thanks again.  I'm still a beginner so it's great to be able to get some good advice and opinions from helpful and experienced people like you. Cheers.

Anonymous

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:35 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
Quote from: "Hutchie"
My whole day out was grand, but for the sake of 30 quids worth of bits under the seat, I could have spent the day waiting for the AA to get me home.

As the Boy Scouts say 'Be Prepared'

:)

I've seen so many cheap arsed tyre repair kits go wrong, and end up needing a new tyre anyway and the solution? DON'T use the AA, use the RAC instead, they are far more bike orientated and friendly. They repair punctures and the fix is life of the tyre and done by a professional.

Do they do the repair roadside or do they move the bike to a repair centre?

Been with the AA for about 20 years and called them about 5 times (which isn't bad given the rusty old shonkers I drive / ride). I'm considering leaving as 3 of the 5 times I was waiting for well over 2 hours. Wife has never had to wait more than 20 mins. While I 'get' the protect vulnerable people thing and all that, if it is at my expense paying the same money, maybe time to jump ship. :shrug: