Author Topic: Carry a tyre repair kit  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Carry a tyre repair kit
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 23:00:21 »
Spencert231, I think it's more a "peace of mind" thing than any actual science or concrete evidence thing, at least for me. Chances are I'll repair it and if it feels right I will keep using it, but I would be cautious the first 1000 miles or so after the repair or at least until I forget I have repaired it lol I'm probably just as likely to get a nail in the tyre at 80mph and go down because of that than a repair, but that's not something I can control. Bit difficult to explain, but maybe you understand my way of thinking a little better now :) You'll have to decide for yourself, none of us are going to really know that any repair is perfectly safe (or not?), we're all just putting down our experiences and opinions.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 00:56:30 »
Spencer - it's not often I admit to being 'subjective'  :grin:  but I am in this case, it's just how I feel about my bike. I'm happy having a plug in my big old fat melon of a back tyre but would not be comfortable with a patched front tyre flapping around at 1000 RPM in front of my face.

Having said that, it's hard braking that tests repairs IMO, not cornering: watch the front tyre ... it must compress to 1/2 it's normal height with the the full weight of the bike and rider (plus deceleration multiplier) on it, whilst the back tyre is as happy as larry, off the ground at times and having a nice rest  :thumb:
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:33:59 »
ABS looks scary! :shock:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Spencert231

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:18:16 »
Okay, I submit.  I in all honesty would probably play it the same way Scep, Juvencue and Hutchie I was looking for confirmation and playing "devils advocate".  Since there is no objective trials done out there we have to work with experience, anecdotes and instinct (confidence) in what feels right.  Thanks for taking time out to add your comments and hope others have gained something from it.

The video on ABS was very good enjoyed it used to have it on my Tiger 1050 and wish I had it on my GSR600 when I came to an abrupt stop.  My next bike will have ABS no question about it.

Spencer
Man without a bike  :limp:

Offline exbandit

• Bike: DL650ALOXP
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 17:20:22 »
I have just received an airman compressor £12 ebay delivered.
to my amazment it fits under the seat even with the scottoiler in the spot were the tool kit was
that has been placed a little lower down.and I still had room for a repair kit,so no reason not to carry one. :fix:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
Exbandit

Offline choppsie

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 19:09:48 »
Like exbandit, I ordered the Airman Compact which fits lovely under the seat right at the back behind the standard tool kit. I need to get a better band to hold the kit in place as it is pushed forward slightly but really pleased with it.

Just need a mate to get a puncture so I can go to the rescue!

Repair outfit in the post along with my mirror extenders - All good :)

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 19:51:24 »
Quote from: "Hutchie"
My whole day out was grand, but for the sake of 30 quids worth of bits under the seat, I could have spent the day waiting for the AA to get me home.

As the Boy Scouts say 'Be Prepared'

:)
Sorry need to disagree 100%

I've seen so many cheap arsed tyre repair kits go wrong, and end up needing a new tyre anyway and the solution? DON'T use the AA, use the RAC instead, they are far more bike orientated and friendly. They repair punctures and the fix is life of the tyre and done by a professional.

So I lose a bit of time but if my attempt to repair, the puncture goes wrong then I'll be forced to call the RAC anyways who may condemn my repair and recover my bike home, so day is lost and new tyre needed. Instead of hour and a half lost including repair and back on the road without another thought.

PS: The AA are tossers when it comes to bikes in many of my friends experiences, the RAC are excellent :thumb:

EDIT: PPS If I did the repair, I don't think I would settle down and forget all bout it afterwards worrying it was leaking so for peace of mind and considering I am riding in the UK I'll get proffesional assistance that I pay for each an every year. If going to Europe? Then I would invest in a puncture kit and pump as you suggest just in case the local morons won't repair
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline choppsie

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 20:02:54 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
EDIT: PPS If I did the repair, I don't think I would settle down and forget all bout it afterwards worrying it was leaking so for peace of mind and considering I am riding in the UK I'll get proffesional assistance that I pay for each an every year. If going to Europe? Then I would invest in a puncture kit and pump as you suggest just in case the local morons won't repair

Purchased for this express purpose. I am travelling to Portugal in a couple of months and want a little peace of mind. :)
The repair would be to get me somewhere where I can get a professional repair or a replacement tyre

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 20:22:55 »
Quote from: "choppsie"
I am traveling to Portugal in a couple of months and want a little peace of mind. :)
Just got back from the Algarve and hired a car for 4 days, and it would appear that indicators are only for the use of visitors to their country not for the Portuguese themselves, and the don't mess about on roundabouts AT ALL!!

Strangely they are some of the most pleasant nation of people I've met ........ when NOT behind the wheel of a car :limp:

Take it steady out there, it's worse than riding in Swindon!!

No really it's a lot worse :crazy:

Offline choppsie

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 21:05:01 »
I am traveling to Portugal in a couple of months and want a little peace of mind. :)
Just got back from the Algarve and hired a car for 4 days, and it would appear that indicators are only for the use of visitors to their country not for the Portuguese themselves, and the don't mess about on roundabouts AT ALL!!

Strangely they are some of the most pleasant nation of people I've met ........ when NOT behind the wheel of a car :limp:

Take it steady out there, it's worse than riding in Swindon!!

No really it's a lot worse :crazy:

lol - I know what you mean. We own a small place down in the Algarve and have witnessed some amazing driving ;) The Portuguese are lovely but when it comes to driving or Money watch out.

I worked in lisbon a few years back, that is what made me fall in love with the country, but one place I wouldn't drive. Algarve yes, no problem but switch on ESP, Porto and Lisbon, naw, too scared..

This will be my first ride down there as I onlt passed my test last August, somethign I wanted to do ever since buying the place. Some of the roads and the mountains passes, made for a bike....

I also know what you mean about Swindon  lol  lol

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 22:14:53 »
So glad you know what I'm saying, I'm an ex 15 year white van veteran and they scared the poop outta me down there :violence-uzi:

Offline exbandit

• Bike: DL650ALOXP
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 21:49:28 »
Like exbandit, I ordered the Airman Compact which fits lovely under the seat right at the back behind the standard tool kit. I need to get a better band to hold the kit in place as it is pushed forward slightly but really pleased with it.

you say you need a mate with a puncture my mrs says I just need is some mates. :violin:
Exbandit

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 21:54:25 »
each to his own Mister Tigger.

All I know is what I've experienced. 3 punctures, slammed the wee worms in, forgotten about the punctures. zero loss of pressure, lots of miles on the tyres after that repair.

Whatever works best for you.

Right, now, where can I order more wee worm things from ? only got 2 left ;)

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 23:13:32 »
If going to Europe? Then I would invest in a puncture kit and pump as you suggest just in case the local morons won't repair
You're much more likely to get a repair as you move out of western Europe* as they don't care about the draconian BSAU159f, and the average Joe can't afford to throw a £100 tyre in the bin everytime he gets a second puncture for example. So their tyre service and repair skills tend to be much better than the UK's IME. The main reason that you should carry a tyre repair kit in Europe and beyond is more to do with the fact that you might be out of range of a phone signal and/or several hours from the nearest recovery/repair van.

N.B. If the RAC or AA repair your tyre in situ (I.e. they don't remove it from the rim and check and repair it from inside) the repair is no better than a DIY one.  In fact they probably use the same kit that's under my seat (which will make the hole bigger than 3mm in diameter and therefore unrepairable under  BSAU159f.)

*Of course in Germany if you get a puncture they make you buy a whole new bike  :grin:
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline choppsie

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:30 »
Quote from: "exbandit"

you say you need a mate with a puncture my mrs says I just need a some mates. :violin:

Get a puncture and I will be your mate  lol  lol

Offline choppsie

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 08:24:08 »
each to his own Mister Tigger.

All I know is what I've experienced. 3 punctures, slammed the wee worms in, forgotten about the punctures. zero loss of pressure, lots of miles on the tyres after that repair.

Whatever works best for you.

Right, now, where can I order more wee worm things from ? only got 2 left ;)

Here is what is under my seat :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-AND-M ... 2a0f63f8b9

Offline mx_ritchie13

• Service Not Self
  • Bike: 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1989 Honda C90
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 08:26:55 »
Hiya Hutchie,
                   what tyres are you riding on as I want a puncture repair kit but not sure which one to go for. I've read that the worms are very good and that is what I was going to go for, but I've also been told that the worms won't work on my Tourances because of the metal banding within. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ritchie

:auto-dirtbike:

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:24 »
Should be using Anakee II's anyway :neen:   :lala:

However are not all Tyres made the same way with the metal weave inside, being radial Tyres? It's how I imagined all Tyres both car, bike, lorry etc etc So don't think the Tourances are going to cause you problems with the worms

Offline mx_ritchie13

• Service Not Self
  • Bike: 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1989 Honda C90
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 10:19:43 »
Thanks for the advice Mr Tigger.

Ritchie

:auto-dirtbike:

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:03 »
I've been on Tourances for over a year now, 3rd rear and 2nd front.
I love them.

Never been any issue doing the wee worm thing, the scary bit is you have to make the hole bigger, but just do it, it works out a treat.