Author Topic: Carry a tyre repair kit  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Hutchie

Carry a tyre repair kit
« on: June 11, 2011, 23:18:26 »
I know it's been said a few times on here, but really, a puncture can ruin a great day out.

I was riding over to meet the blokes this morning, bike was handling like a pig, thought it was me being out of sorts or something. About 10 minutes from Buxton, stopped to check the tyres (only been riding like this 40 minutes like)

Big old tooth in the back tyre, like from a dog or something. I was pissed right off, although the tyre is getting replaced next week anyway. So, got the compressor and the repair kit out from under the seat. 3 minutes work and a fag later, I was back on the road.

My whole day out was grand, but for the sake of 30 quids worth of bits under the seat, I could have spent the day waiting for the AA to get me home.

So, if you haven't already. Buy a wee slime compressor, and a repair kit, mine uses worms, not plugs. After the repair, I took the bike over some serious amounts of gravel and crap, and the tyre was fine.

As the Boy Scouts say 'Be Prepared'

:)

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
Re: Carry a tyre repair kit
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 00:07:23 »
+1

Tyre repair kit: 20 quid
Airman compressor from Wilkos: 7 quid

Both fit nicely under seat. Have ridden 2000 hard miles on a plugged back tyre...

At the least it will get you home. At best it will save the tour that you've been planning all year.  No brainer really.
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 00:10:33 »
Compressor - check!
Repair Kit - check!

I also have a digital tyre pressure gauge.

+1 to carrying a repair kit and a compressor, I've never needed to use mine, but the small monetary outlay is worth it if you consider the amount of hassle a puncture can cause.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:21:25 »
I just carry a can of that gunk stuff that you squirt in if you get a puncture. I ride a lot at night and I don't fancy my chances trying to do a passable drilling/plugging job with just a LED torch.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:13 »
Worms?
Don't you find, that they run off... and try to blow the living hell out of each other with Bazooka's... yelling things like "Armageddon!!!"... or try to bridge stupid gaps (maybe holes in the tyre... who knows...) before the Suicidal ones try to walk off the edge? lol
Or is this not the type of Worms you are on about? lol

Offline Strommer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:14:08 »
Puncturesafe for me.  I do keep my old plugging kit at work though for communal use.  Compressor under the seat too.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline longman

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:54 »
I don't have one on my bike but reading all the posts convinced my to buy a compressor and a kit. Any advice please which one it the best buy and where did you get it from? Thanks
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:40 »
Would be interesting to find a compressor small enough to fit under the seat that doesn't cost the world. I have one for the car but it is too fat.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:52:55 »
I have the Slime pump, but I'd buy the Airman if I knew about it back then, still the Slime very good.

Screwfix sells the Airman: http://www.screwfix.com/p/airman-compac ... ssor/83667
don't know where Scep gets it for £7, he'll show up and tell soon I guess :)

As for a plugger kit, I bought a fancy one with mushroom plugs, other people prefer the ones with the brown rope thingies (like Hutchie's?) Here's a link to the one I have on Ebay, I paid £24.98 for mine, that one in the link is more expensive, but if you search around you'll probably get it for a bit cheaper. I believe the rope ones are much cheaper and probably just as effective, but I bought what gives me most peace of mind if I have to use it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Strommer

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:19:06 »
Quote from: "wasabi"
Would be interesting to find a compressor small enough to fit under the seat that doesn't cost the world. I have one for the car but it is too fat.

Wilkinsons - £10.  Fits under the seat at the rack end very easily.  Also have one for the car.  Used about once every two months to pump up other peoples' tyres at work.  Not had to use it myself in anger...yet...

A disgrace to biking...

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:57:27 »
Do you treat it as a permanent repair or change the tyre when you get back?

Offline scep

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 12:57:55 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Screwfix sells the Airman: http://www.screwfix.com/p/airman-compac ... ssor/83667
don't know where Scep gets it for £7, he'll show up and tell soon I guess :)

That's what it was in Wilko's when I bought it a few years ago! It's a perfect fit for the hole under the seat and it has a little compartment in that you can stick a load of spare fuses in.

I too have the "mushroom" style plugs and the one time I used it found it easy to do and effective - it  lasted until I got a new tyre. Others swear by the "sticky worms" :shock: . The one thing you do have to watch out for with the mushroom ones is to ream out any steel belt threads so it doesn't cut them.

Offline scep

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 13:08:54 »
Quote from: "wasabi"
Do you treat it as a permanent repair or change the tyre when you get back?
They are meant to be temporary, you are meant to ride at less than 60mph to the nearest tyre place - but what else could they say?

Note that in repairing it - especially if you have to snap belt threads - then you have probably made the hole effectively unrepairable by a tyre shop - they will not repair any hole over 3mm diameter.

As far as I'm concerned if a) it's in the back tyre b) it's a in a chunky bit of tread b) it's not a z rated tyre then my repair is as good as they would do in a shop. The only repair I've done lasted 2000 miles until I replaced the tyre through normal wear. I just had a puncture repaired at a shop and it seems to be the same method as my own kit, for which they charged £36  :shrug:

disclaimer: this information is for entertainment purposes only -  I do not personally recommend repairing your tyre and then riding it as normal. :grin:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 17:45:51 »
If I had to repair the rear tyre with my kit I would consider it good enough to ride on until the tyre needs a change. On the front I think it would be situational, I'd lean towards replacing it.

Offline choppsie

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 17:51:45 »
Hhmmm, I'm now convinced I should have a compressor and repair kit

Gonig to order Airman from Screwfix and some mushrooms from EBay.

I commute and I'm taking my Strom to Portugal in the summer so would be daft not to have this kit under the seat!!!

My GSR had a mushroom repair on the back tyre that lasted until I replaced it

Offline Spencert231

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 22:43:20 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
If I had to repair the rear tyre with my kit I would consider it good enough to ride on until the tyre needs a change. On the front I think it would be situational, I'd lean towards replacing it.

Mmmmmm! not quite convinced that either tyre warrants a different line of thinking, but I am sure somebody will enlighten me.

Spencer
Man without a bike  :limp:

Offline scep

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 23:02:36 »
Braking and control live at the front. If the front tyre pops at speed you will probably fall off; if the back tyre pops at speed you might not.

Having said that tyre tech is pretty good nowadays, especially tubeless, but I agree with Juvecu. No evidence, just a gut feeling.

Offline doebag

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 14:13:23 »
An aerosol of guk under the seat, saved me twice, once on a very wet and windy motorway hardshoulder.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Spencert231

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 22:20:21 »
Quote from: "scep"
Braking and control live at the front. If the front tyre pops at speed you will probably fall off; if the back tyre pops at speed you might not.

Having said that tyre tech is pretty good nowadays, especially tubeless, but I agree with Juvecu. No evidence, just a gut feeling.

Well Scep I have read many of your comments on various threads and would have to say you speak a great deal of sense, as a rule. However, not wishing to argue the case about where braking begins or ends or indeed where control begins or ends. But, traveling at car park speed control is a matter of pointing it in the direction and breaking is done at the back.

However, since your comments and Juvecu are subjective it is difficult for me to be convinced.  Especially since the bike is steered (controlled) around corners by the back wheel (tyre included).  Whereas the front breaking is done in an upright position and on a straight line.  So the question is which tyre is most important when going around the corner? Now me I say the back is most important because if a steady power is on to get you around the corner and the bike balance ratio is 40/60 so the front is already up and nobody in their right mind is going to start front breaking.  

Spencer
 :limp:

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 22:24:44 »
All I know is the first puncture I fixed using the brown sticky worm turd things, I didn't read the precautions, and promptly rode for 7000 miles, high and low speed, on and offroad.
If it was the front, I'd want to worry about it, but that's the 3rd puncture I've repaired now, with no adverse affects whatsoever.

All depends on where the puncture is, and how much it will play on your mind. If it worries you, bin the tyre, or have a 'professional' repair it.

Just my usual personal experience, no arguments or advice intended.