Author Topic: Rear Huggers  (Read 2779 times)

Offline blackops

Rear Huggers
« on: April 03, 2011, 14:30:08 »
Thinking about fitting a rear hugger to my wee do any forum members have one fitted and if so what make is best.Regards Jed.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Rear Huggers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 14:38:47 »
Pyramid huggers get good reviews and we get a forum discount for them (check the Member Benefits section.) You'll likely get a few reviews and pictures if you search for 'hugger' on the forums.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Squirrelciv

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 20:56:47 »
Wish I'd never looked at this thread... Now I want a belly pan & hugger :shy:  Off to look for piccies :thumb:
Live long. Live well. Live happy.

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:37 »
I have a pyramid hugger, does a reasonable job of keeping crap off the rear shock. it's not perfect  but much better than not having one at all and certainly looks the part.

I had some 'issues' when I first fitted it in that the chain wore through a bit at the front thanks to my chain being a touch loose but that's long since gone now (to be honest I think the bike shop probably did a better job of re-fitting it when they installed the lubetronic)
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Euroned

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 13:55:12 »
Quote from: "jonH"
I have a pyramid hugger, does a reasonable job of keeping crap off the rear shock. it's not perfect  but much better than not having one at all and certainly looks the part.

Agree completely, looks the part but certainly does not keep all the crap off, but you should look at your rear shock without one!!!

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 14:31:01 »
If you're simply looking to protect the shock then a shock tube might be an alternative if you're not sold on a rear hugger.

http://www.shocktube.co.uk/
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Squirrelciv

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 19:36:11 »
Too late. Just ordered the hugger...

...and the mudguard extender...

...and the belly pan...

What's happening to me?!?!?!?!? :crazy:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 20:17:19 »
Excessive shopping... might be an indication that your feminine side is overpowering you  lol

Offline blackops

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 20:23:30 »
Quote from: "Squirrelciv"
Too late. Just ordered the hugger...

...and the Mudguard extender...

...and the belly pan...

What's happening to me?!?!?!?!? :crazy:
Which make did you get I bought the Pyramid looked to be the best value.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 20:56:15 »
I thought that all Stroms came with shock protection?
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Squirrelciv

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 21:27:46 »
I got the pyramid kit. True to their word, they did provide a 10% discount when I mentioned the site. Kit comes by the end of the week and should be fitted by Sunday. Piccies will follow :thumb:

Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 23:02:20 »
I had the Powerbronze hugger and pyramid mudguard extender. Had the dealer fit them before I picked up my brand new 1000GT K8. I run my bike in all weathers like many of you and I was soon dismayed to see that the hugger dumps huge quantities of muck, grit, salt water and anything else you can think of directly on your chain. It actually power blasts the chain with this muck especially when you are riding on the motorways. This is because you have to remove the original chain guard and there isn't really a chain guard as such on the hugger. It merely extends over the top of the chain so all the muck and water washes down inside the hugger directly onto the chain. This vague attempt at protecting the chain actually doesn't. it just stops little children putting their fingers in the chain as you spin the wheel around. All the muck buggers the chain really quickly as I found even if you keep cleaning and lubing regularly. So mines off (the hugger) and has been for a few months now. The chain stays in much better condition I have found with just the standard chain guard. The shock is fine too. As for the total amount of crap on the rest of the rear of the bike, there isn't much difference actually so I don't miss the hugger.

Sorry if I sound as though I'm raining on someones parade, not trying to do that but many of us have found the same thing with these huggers, especially if you do a lot of miles in the winter. They are useless on the strom!  :shrug:

Offline Squirrelciv

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:12:34 »
Hmmm, have to watch out for that. Thanks for the tip.  :thumb:

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 20:24:05 »
Quote from: "Commander"
I had the Powerbronze hugger and pyramid Mudguard extender. Had the dealer fit them before I picked up my brand new 1000GT K8. I run my bike in all weathers like many of you and I was soon dismayed to see that the hugger dumps huge quantities of muck, grit, salt water and anything else you can think of directly on your chain. It actually power blasts the chain with this muck especially when you are riding on the motorways. This is because you have to remove the original chain guard and there isn't really a chain guard as such on the hugger. It merely extends over the top of the chain so all the muck and water washes down inside the hugger directly onto the chain. This vague attempt at protecting the chain actually doesn't. it just stops little children putting their fingers in the chain as you spin the wheel around. All the muck buggers the chain really quickly as I found even if you keep cleaning and lubing regularly. So mines off (the hugger) and has been for a few months now. The chain stays in much better condition I have found with just the standard chain guard. The shock is fine too. As for the total amount of crap on the rest of the rear of the bike, there isn't much difference actually so I don't miss the hugger.

Sorry if I sound as though I'm raining on someones parade, not trying to do that but many of us have found the same thing with these huggers, especially if you do a lot of miles in the winter. They are useless on the Strom!  :shrug:
Pyramid one has a lip to protect the chain if you get my drift? Might work better?

Stu

Offline ADV.john

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:36 »
Mine came from pyramid. But has a puig sticker on it ???

But does the job good. However they tell you once you have recieved the hugger that you need to trim down the plastic lip on the cover next to the top of the rear shock ( I forget what its called)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles

Commander

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 20:34:51 »
Got to say that looks far better than my Powerbronze unit that I took off. I can see how the muck probably won't go straight down onto the chain in quite the same way. Although the Powerbronze is still basically that shape but with a less angular chain guard moulding, if you see what I mean. You are obviously pleased with it and if it was doing what my Powerbronze unit was doing I'm sure you would have spotted it and heaved it off!  Splendid!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 07:20:31 »
I'm not really interestd in a hugger, but what I would like is something on the left-hand side of the Wee to stop my poor passenger's left foot getting covered in crap when it rains.

The exhaust does a pretty good job on the other side.

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 17:27:44 »
Iggy, it looks like you have pannier rails, why not put a peice of Perspex or plastic on the inside of your left pannier rail. This will protect your passenger and not interfere with pannier when they're needed.

Stu :thumb:

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 19:14:40 »
Quote from: "StreetHippo"
Iggy, it looks like you have pannier rails, why not put a peice of Perspex or plastic on the inside of your left pannier rail. This will protect your passenger and not interfere with pannier when they're needed.

Stu :thumb:

Yeah - good idea Stu. Something to investigate - usually I only attach the rails a few days before a big trip and take 'em back off again straight after, but I reckon they'll come out sooner to check on this.

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline Squirrelciv

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 23:26:20 »
Fitted the kit today and am a seriously happy bunny. Hugger looks ace and the belly pan is to die for. More chuffed than Mr Chuff of No1 chuff street, uppered chuffed, chuffedville.

Piccies to follow. :lala: