Author Topic: Chain adjustment - axle alignment question  (Read 2003 times)

Offline stromonoff

Chain adjustment - axle alignment question
« on: October 13, 2010, 14:00:44 »
Just adjusted the chain on my wee for the first time (bike is new to me).

I have tightened the adjusters on both sides equally but the markers (and confirmed by measurement to back of swing arm) is around 2 or 3mm different left side to right side.  I am guessing it must have been like that before I started.  It is due for service in 600 miles anyway so tempted not to play too much.

My question is, do I need to re-adjust this or is it within tolerance for a few hundred miles?  I only do essential maintenance myself and generally leave as much as possible to the experts, but will have a bash at it if it is outside tolerance.  Is 2 or 3mm acceptable?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Chain adjustment - axle alignment question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 14:10:09 »
I would say no, don't leave it, you do need to re-adjust. If the back wheel is not straight the bike will not track properly round bends and will constantly be losing grip momentarily. If this happens on a slippy surface, well....

It really is something you should learn to do and practice will bring confidence. Try it.

Offline ScottishKeith

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 14:40:28 »
Sometime the marks on the swing arm can be out so the best way is to line the wheels up with a stright edge then remeber how far the marks are out for future reference.If you need a guide on how to do it this way then let me know and I will post some it up for you.
I found the marks on my swing arm were out by 2mm.
If the wheel is not inline then you can normally feel it when on the bike. :auto-dirtbike:  :grin:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 14:59:01 »
Shit! Just realised this might be my problem too! I was putting the slightly uneasy handling down to having installed dogbones to lower the rear 25 mm ...but I adjusted the chain at the same time, too, of course. better check this out. its bin irritating the ***k out of me! I'll search the forum for hints on how to... :fix:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 15:38:21 »
Just to throw a spanner in the wheels, my marks on the swingarm are accurate. Good advice I can offer is that you should never have the chain too tight, rather a bit of extra slack than too tight. Always check the amount of play with the bike on the side stand (as opposed to the centre stand) or when sitting on it. Also, when you adjust it, tighten it a bit, then double check that it's still accurate before you properly torque it (100Nm for the rear axle.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 15:59:12 »
Quote from: "ScottishKeith"
Sometime the marks on the swing arm can be out so the best way is to line the wheels up with a stright edge then remeber how far the marks are out for future reference.If you need a guide on how to do it this way then let me know and I will post some it up for you.
I found the marks on my swing arm were out by 2mm.
If the wheel is not inline then you can normally feel it when on the bike. :auto-dirtbike:  :grin:

If you could give some guidance on that I will give it a shot.

I used the guide marks but also measured distance to the back plate of the swing arm (where the adjusters are).  Both about 2mm so am guessing it is slightly out but would like to be sure before I start messing again.

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 16:06:54 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Just to throw a spanner in the wheels, my marks on the swingarm are accurate. Good advice I can offer is that you should never have the chain too tight, rather a bit of extra slack than too tight. Always check the amount of play with the bike on the side stand (as opposed to the centre stand) or when sitting on it. Also, when you adjust it, tighten it a bit, then double check that it's still accurate before you properly torque it (100Nm for the rear axle.)
Thanks Juvecu, I think I adjusted it correctly and evenly on each side, got chain to 30mm slack and tightened up the axle nut and torqued up tp 100nm.  What I didn't do was note the position of the markings before I started (Doh !!) but I think both sides were adjusted the same by me, so must have been out before.

Went for a test ride and seemed fine before and after.  May have a play with it some more, and if can't bottom it out I will take a run to the local dealer and get them to checked it over.  wouldn't want to risk it.

Offline Sven

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 20:12:47 »
When I put mine in for its 600 mile service, I stayed & was chatting to the mechanic (non-Suzuki dealer).
Part way through whilst about to adjust the chain, he said to me your chain adjustment marks are out - 5 showing on one side & 6 on the other. So out came the laser guages & when checked, my back wheel was a mile out!!! When he set them up dead straight, the marks were exactly equal (ie. 5 on each side). As I hadn't adjusted the chain that was how it was set up by Suzuki or the Suzuki dealer. So don't assume that it must be right because Suzuki set it up. If in doubt check the wheel alignment yourself or have it checked by a dealer/mechanic.
I probably didn't notice anything wrong with the way the bike handled as I'd been running it in & taking it fairly gently!!

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 23:37:15 »
Yip, can well believe that.  The bike has only done 3k and the chain was quite slack at the outset so I am wondering if it has ever been adjusted !!

Just spent half an hour this evening getting the thing lined up with the markers, (yes I know, should take 5 minutes !!).  Seems like there was more adjustment available at one side than the other but its bang on now.

I will get the tape measure out tomorrow and check it back to the swing arm pivot point just to make sure.  

If there is a another clever way to check the alignment on the wheel itself I would be interested.  I guess a laser level on a tripod touching the two edges of the tyre and shing to a point forward of the bike may be a good way.... if consistent on both sides it should be aligned.... I guess ?

Thanks for the advise and guidance blokes.  It'll be easier next time no doubt. :ty:

Offline Cyberglass

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:57:34 »
I don't use the marking when aligning my wheel I use a steel rule and go from the edge of the axle block to the edge of the swingarm where it meets the adjusting plate.  never failed me yet.

I will go out and take a few pictures later on of what I mean and post them up.  :thumb:
DL650 2004 sportbike slayer XD
Hornet 919 2002
R1 2005

Offline Sven

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 08:37:30 »
Don't just go by the marks on the swing arm - they could be wrong. Mine were correct but a lot a not!!
The only way to do it is to check the wheel alignment ( eg. that the back wheel is exactly straight & in line with the front wheel). You can do this at home with straight pieces of wood or string & measure either side of the back wheel compared to the front wheel. Again if not sure take it to a dealer & have it done by them.  They use guages - the latest ones being laser. They clamp a laser to either side of the back wheel & clamp a plate to the front wheel. The laser shines from the back wheel & puts dots either side of the front wheel. This shows if the back wheel is straight compared with the front. You only need this done once - just memorise where the marks on the swingarm are (ie. 5 on both side or 5 one side & 6 on the other) & whenever you adjust the chain just check the marks are still in the same ratio.

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 23:10:19 »
Probably been done before, but think I have now worked out how to do a DIY laser alignment check.  Thought I would post in case it helps anyone.

1. Required items 1 laser level (about £5 on ebay) and 1 long spirit level (although anything flat and dead straight would do).

2. Make sure the bike is vertical then hold the long spirit level against sides of tyres with the laser. Fairly high, just under the disc.

3. Align laser against garage door / wall whatever as far ahead of the bike as possible.  Mark vertical line with chalk on the garage door / wall, spin wheel and check mark is still correct.

4. Then repeat above on the other side of the tyre, (so you have two vertical chalk marks on garage door)

5. Finally, use the level aligned dead straight ALONG the bike - I used fuel filler cap and centre of luggage rack as guides.  Place laser on the top at the level shining along the length of the bike, as below, and mark the vertical on the garage door as below.  This chalk mark will be higher up but if it is central (vertically) between the left and right marks then the wheel is aligned.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 20:50:46 »
So the real question is: are the marks on your swingarm accurate?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 21:35:34 »
I reckon 1 mm out  :thumb:  :fix:  :grin:

Although the test ride tomorrow is the final confirmation  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 21:37:07 »
Pleased to report all perfect !! :lala:  :lala:  :lala:  :lala:  :lala:  :lala:

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 21:51:48 »
I don't think it needs that level of accuracy. I'd say you need to ride it more.

Offline stromonoff

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 00:33:02 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I don't think it needs that level of accuracy. I'd say you need to ride it more.

I did, my 10 minute test ride ended up as an hour and a half  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:14 »
Cool way to check!

My ultimate test after chain adjustment is very careful but very firm application of just the rear brake to see if any skidding can be provoked... But do not try this at home! And it'd be no good if you have linked front and rear brakes.

Geeza