Author Topic: Power cut  (Read 1091 times)

Offline gadgetmandb

Power cut
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:39 »
Anyone else have there DL1000 clock suddenly loose 6 hours overnight.
Checked battery all OK nearly fully charged.
I placed it on charge just to top it up and I'll check what the clock has done today, very weird though it was as though the bike had a power cut. !
Bikes owned.DL1000 k2 vario screen, Heated grips, Givi Top box & scotoiler.Heart broken when she was written off. Triumph Tiger 1050 SE Matt Grey/Black. Panniers heated Grips, centre stand, side stand, touring screen. Based somewhere in Dagenham

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Power cut
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:53 »
Hmmm. Probly just a simple case of alien abduction during the night. 'Missing time' experiences are quite common, apparently... :shock:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Sven

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:22:55 »
Quote from: "gadgetmandb"
Anyone else loose 6 hours overnight!

Yes............ I've had this on several occasions - usually after too many beers lol
 :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :obscene-drinkingchug:

Sorry couldn't resist that one

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:11 »
I'm sure I've seen a similar thread not to long ago. I had this myself, but on a Wee and it went away after I replaced the battery (my battery was knackered though.) I think what happened was that when I started the bike the clocks stopped getting enough current because the starter was using everything the battery had to give (working in the electrical industry you'd think I'd be able to come up with a more technical explanation than that...)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Strommer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:17:48 »
I placed it on charge just to top it up and I'll check what the clock has done today, very weird though it was as though the bike had a power cut. !

Yep (650)- battery died two days later, leaving me stranded....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline gadgetmandb

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 22:59:47 »
Quote from: "Strommer"

Yep (650)- battery died two days later, leaving me stranded....[/

That don't sound good !
Bike been OK since it's little top up, only took an hour to reach full charge.
Hmm started popping and farting again on a rapid fairly fast decelerate hope that's normal ?
Bikes owned.DL1000 k2 vario screen, Heated grips, Givi Top box & scotoiler.Heart broken when she was written off. Triumph Tiger 1050 SE Matt Grey/Black. Panniers heated Grips, centre stand, side stand, touring screen. Based somewhere in Dagenham

Offline gadgetmandb

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 23:03:39 »

P.s

Could have been aliens as there was a big flat grass (crop) circle on the lawn the next morning.
Personally I think it was the big Ginger Tom from next door lol.

Offline MadKev

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 23:07:59 »
If it happened a few days before your post, check the weather - cold and wet round here.  Couple of car batteries playing up their security systems, since diagnosed as batteries on their last legs shorting one cell when laid up overnight.  Hardly the first snap of winter but the feeblest go first.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 13:37:55 »
How old is the battery?  Over three years and it'll begin to be suspect.  Though many people say they get double that.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Axe

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:31 »
Mine does this almost all the time.

when I thumb the start button the clock re-sets to 1:00

It's done it for over 2 years that I've owned it and that's the only symptom, no problems with the battery or cold starting (other than one occasion when I hadn't run it for about 3 Months)

I've just learned to look at my watch when I  start the bike and adjust the time in my head as I go along.

8am start = Clock +7 etc etc

Does anyone know how to set the time on a Vee? I've never figured it out other than only starting the bike at 1am or 1pm.

Axe.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 13:04:49 »
Quote from: "Axe"
Mine does this almost all the time.
Does anyone know how to set the time on a Vee? I've never figured it out other than only starting the bike at 1am or 1pm.  Axe.

If it's the same as the WEE it's hold down both buttons.  

BUT what the manual doesn't tell you is that you hold down the left one first and then join in with the right one.  You need to hold them down for a fair bit.  After that the clock will flash and you use the right button to adust time and left one to select h/m.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Axe

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 13:55:22 »
Cool,

will give that a go tonight,  :ty:

Axe

Offline Axe

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:37:11 »
Yay it worked.

Thanks for the advice, who'd have thought you have to hold down the left button first?

Anyway, I now have the right time on my clock for the first time in years.

Ace.

Thanks

Axe