Author Topic: Not a good start to the weekend  (Read 2080 times)

Offline V-Strom-Mark

Not a good start to the weekend
« on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:39 »
Nice sunny afternoon, done work nice and early.  I thought I'll just take a ride up and see mum (any excuse to go for  a ride). Sit through the Spanish inquisition for a bit (How's Jen, How's work etc, etc, etc..........).

Start back for home (you can guess what's coming).

WHAM!

The bike and I are skidding down the road, the bike is on top of me and I getting rather worried. We come to a stop and I hear a car screeching off around the corner.  (Fu*ker, isn't sticking around, A**hole!)

The car that hit me was stopped on the right hand (nearside) curb, dropped off a passenger and turned left into me without looking, then fled the scene. The bonehead lost his front bumper and licence plate after hitting me so it wasn't too tough to get an ID in the vehicle.

I was able to pick myself up and was thankful that the panniers, as bad as they are, had kept the bike off of me for the most part.  What surprised me was the number of people that had heard the crash and came out to help, I don't know how many people offered me water etc. while I was collecting myself.  Thankfully a woman driving behind me saw the car hit me, she called the police and gave a statement when they arrived.  The driver of the car came back after about 15 min.  he was given a bollocking by the police and charged with failure to remain at the scene of an accident right there.

On the plus side I was doing a little less than 40kph (25mph) at the time, the textile trousers, jacket, boots, gloves helmet etc, did their job, but they all have to be replaced.  Just a few aches and grazes but nothing too severe.  

It looks as if my riding is done for this year, the bike will require a bit of repair if it isn't written off, mostly cosmetic but it wouldn't steer in a straight line when the tow truck arrived, both rider footpegs had snapped off as well as the clutch lever.  

A few pictures from my Blackberry:

bike where it ended up on the opposite side of the road facing the wrong way.

upright again, you can see the silver paint on the black part of the exhaust and the smashed pannier where the car hit.

you can just see the scratches in the road where I first hit the tarmac.

The car was stopped just behind where the silver Ford focus is and turned into the road on the right of the picture.

If you're going to leave the scene of an accident this isn't the best thing to leave behind!

The insurance adjuster is going to contact me of Monday so no  :auto-dirtbike:  for a bit, just a little  :limp:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline dogpuf

Re: Not a good start to the weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:38:52 »
Real sorry to hear/read about your accident - totally unnecessary accident the bloody careless idiot  :GRR: .

Sounds like a real bastard that knocked you off your bike, then fled the scene  :crazy:

At least your OK which is the main thing

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline jeyre60152

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:41:27 »
Glad you're OK.
 :limp:
He probably realised that he'd left some evidence....Dickhead.....and that's why he came back.

:thumb:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:07:07 »
A good job your OK - any accident you can walk away from is a blessing   :thumb: They'll soon have the old girl on 'er feet again, but I suspect winter will be on it's way for you soon anyway - time to get the skidoo fired up !!!
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:03:24 »
The good thing is you escaped relatively unscathed and they caught the fecker,  bike can always be repaired or replaced but you can't ;)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:06:18 »
Glad you are OK - hope you get it sorted quickly.

Offline Sven

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:16:57 »
Sorry to hear the bad news.
The main thing is that you are OK. Hope you get it all sorted & back on the road ASAP. Don't let it put you off V-stromming :thumb:

Offline steve1962

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:11 »
Bad news about the bike , but at least you are OK and the culprit has been apprehended .
Hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon .

Steve

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 10:42:39 »
Shit!

Pleased to hear you are OK.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:15 »
###  ###  ###  ###  ###

Glad you are OK, the sheer disregard some drivers have for other road users is disgusting
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 15:12:22 »
I just love the fact that the arsehole left his number plate at the scene and had to come back with tail between legs, no doubt hoping the cops hadn't showed up yet. I'd love to have seen his face when he got out the car and realised the bumper was missing!

Glad you're OK, bikes can be fixed.

Offline mechcanico lee

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 15:45:02 »
Your OK that's what matters , bike can be repaired, all car drivers I treat as numb nuts, any junctions, over taking, treat it as though they will do something stupid that way your ready for it , but saying that sooner or later something will happen .
Hope bike isn't to bad , take care
Lee

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 20:41:04 »
Glad you are OK after that, it's always a relief if you can come out of something like that relatively unscathed. You might feel worse on day 2 after the accident. Make sure to get yourself checked out if something feels wrong.
I bet the idiot car driver wouldn't have come back if his bumper didn't get left behind ###
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:07:14 »
Thanks everyone.  Was a little sore today, both body and head (I think the latter was due to a few single malts last night  :shy: )  I went to the towing company compound this morning and took a few more pictures and had a good chat with a bloke that worked there who incidentally spent a year working in Bermuda, and quite a bit of time in the UK.  We ended up chatting about bikes, football and cricket.  I always had believed in the sterotype about tow truck drivers and their ethics, I was certainly proved wrong!! If there are members on here in that profession I sincerely apologise.

I'm off to the hot-tub to soak away some of the aches,  and I see a bigger dent coming in that bottle of scotch!

Oh, 2112, I refuse to own a skidoo, we have a Bombardier 800cc 4 wheeler instead, its used for towing the mower and plowing the driveway in winter, HONEST!  :grin:
Mark.

Offline Big Tez

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 16:38:54 »
Glad to hear your okay  :thumb:  Any excuse for a single malt ! Highland park is my favourite  :obscene-drinkingchug:

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:19:02 »
Sorry to hear your news and glad to hear your okay. Be interested to hear the B#"'^:ds punishment, lifetime ban wouldn't be too much......
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline coopmick

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 11:24:39 »
Glad to hear your OK. hope they throw the book at the driver  :angry-tappingfoot:
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 16:15:03 »
glad to hear you're OK, and also glad the tw@t that hit you got an extra bonus from the rozzers  :obscene-drinkingchug:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 19:56:15 »
Just an update.

It seems the bike is written off, the appraiser was up to $5000 in damages before looking at the bent left fork scuffed tyres etc.  I'm just waiting for the adjuster to let me know what settlement they will offer, probably won't seem like nearly enough!

The accident, as minor as it was, did put me in hospital for a bit.

I had been sore for a couple of days afterwards, no big deal I thought, but the following Thursday (six days after the fact), I woke up and was in a lot of pain.  I guess I was as white as a sheet and sweating like crazy.  I got myself to the hospital emergency room, saw the triage nurse who took my details and then sat in the waiting area.  The next thing I remember I was being loaded on to a stretcher, being taken into one of the emergengy rooms, having lines stuck in my arms and being hooked up to the monitors.

My blood pressure had crashed, that's why I passed out and they were trying to figure out where the internal bleeding was.  It turns out when I hit the road I damaged my spleen and it had developed a balloon of blood that eventually burst, dumping its contents, and then some into my abdomen.  I spent two days in intesive care, while they stopped the bleeding, with tubes stuck everywhere including places that really make your eyes water. :bawl:   Another two days in recovery being poked and prodded every two hours and finally sent home at the end of day four where the first thing I did was have a shower!  

Thankfully they didn't have to remove my spleen as, although you can live without it, it would have left me much more succeptable to infections and viruses etc.   Now I have to see what the personal injury settlement is like from the insurance company, I've had one week off work and still need one more, plus I can't do any running, heavy lifting etc for another six weeks.  I can't afford to aggravate the injury or the spleen will have to come out!

Had I gone to the hospital at the time of the accident, I might not have had to go through all that! You live and learn!

Jen is pretty adamant that I'm not getting another bike, but we'll see what happens come spring !:grin:
(the orange strom is quite nice)
Mark.

Offline ScottishKeith

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 20:23:34 »
that's some bad luck you have had.
Glad to hear you are recovering now.
You have got till the spring to get another bike so just take your time and make sure you heal up.