Author Topic: Suzuki Panniers that open whilst riding....  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Drifter's Escape

• Username: Drifters Escape
Suzuki Panniers that open whilst riding....
« on: September 05, 2010, 19:59:27 »
Friday, lovely sunny day, headed off for the weekend with some mates. DL1000 08  stock panniers only half filled. Offside pannier springs open without warning and my clothes fly in all directions, my toilet bag with 80gig I-pod safely stored within dissapears under the wheels of a lorry to be flattened beyond recognition!!
I knew the stock panniers where a bit naff but, having used them in Europe the last couple of years I thought they would at least stay closed. Kind policeman who happened to be passing in his four wheel helped me retrieve the intact stuff and didn't bollock me for riding up and down the A68 without my helmet so many thanks to him.
Luckily one of the riders behind me managed to dodge my underpants and socks etc. My sleeping bag, which resembles a bouncing bomb when stored, was in the nearside pannier so that was lucky.
The panniers were definately locked shut (I had already done 20m) and they were only half full so it wasn't a case of over-filling. Anyway it gave us a laugh for the weekend and I had to endure the compulsory piss taking.  It could have been a lot worse than it turned out.
I was already looking at other boxes so I guess I'll move a bit quicker on that front.
Anyone else had self opening panniers?
  :shrug:
It's all good

Offline V-Strom-Mark

Re: Suzuki Panniers that open whilst riding....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 20:52:28 »
Sounds like you got most of your stuff back, losing the toilet bag and ipod is a bugger though.

I had it happen once. I had gone about 3km when the left one popped open, thankfully the shoes and shorts I had in there had the straps around them so they didn't end up on the road.  I find its pretty easy to close them and not have them latch, now when I close them I give them a good shove until I hear them click then give them a tug.  If I don't hear them click I'll open them up and do it again, even if they seem like they're latched.  

New panniers are on my want list, preferably some aluminium ones that open at the top!
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline Sven

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 23:21:38 »
This is the biggest problem/worry I have with these panniers as well. Like Mark, if I don't hear that click when they shut, I end up opening & closing them over & over again until they do. It ends up looking like I've got OCD or something!!!!
This has only served to worry me more now :angry-tappingfoot:

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 23:26:08 »
I got shot of mine - replaced them with Krauser luggage

Offline Drifter's Escape

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:36:28 »
I agree with the ritual thing. I have, and did, double check them before leaving as I have done every time I have used them. If you don't hear the click open them up and do it again. I don't think they close particularly well, the seal looks dodgy too. I guess that's why they come with the bike.
I don't think the road was particularly uneven but my guess is that it may have been a bump that caused it. I wasn't even aware of it until a mate caught me up and stopped me half a mile down the road!
It's all good

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:40:38 »
Quote from: "billc"
I got shot of mine - replaced them with Krauser luggage
I did the same, but only since I got a good deal on the panniers and racks 2nd hand else I'd have some Givi/Kappa stuff now. I never had a problem with the Suzuki ones opening, but then I did make 100% sure they were closed and normally I tugged at them a bit to make sure they don't open with some force applied.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Cyberglass

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:07 »
This thread is useless without PICS  :shrug:    :grin:
DL650 2004 sportbike slayer XD
Hornet 919 2002
R1 2005

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 14:20:34 »
There's a smiley for that!
 :text-worthless:

First use of that for me  lol
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline steve_icbinb

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 14:35:58 »
as a result of bike taking frequent naps, one of my givi e21's has a lock so worn that it is no longer secure. all I do is run a strap round it. not feefproof, but doesn't pop it's top over any bumps or whatever...

Offline Sparx

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 17:24:38 »
Whilst at Andy's last weekend several people asked me why I have ROK straps around panniers, not happened yet but one of mine clicks nicely the other doesn't so no chances :shrug:
Rode fast - Too old to 'die young'!

Offline Eric The Viking

• I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list!
  • Bike: Suzuki GSX 650 F, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XCA
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 20:32:15 »
I've just re-drilled the stock Suzuki frames and fitted Givi catches and pegs to take my Givi panniers, better and bigger in my opinion and they have a solid locking system. Easier than I thought it'd be and took about 20 mins per side, just left with a few extra holes in the frames now so looking for some suitable plugs to stop the water getting in.

Jobs a good'one :fix:
Keep The Shiny Side Up And Your Helmet Polished

Honda SS50, Kawasaki KH250 B2, Honda CB400/4 F2, Kawasaki KE125, Honda CB250N Super Dream, Yamaha RD250, Honda CB250N Super Dream (again), Honda CB750/4 F2, Kawasaki ZZR1100 D7, Suzuki V Strom DL650 K8, Suzuki V Strom DL1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 650F, Piaggio Fly 125, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XCA, Mini-Moto Ducati replica.

Offline Drifter's Escape

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 22:46:48 »
:sarc: I agree, I need to organise how to upload pics so I'll try to get that organised this week. I'll censor me shreddies though, I'm not sure they hit the ground hard enough to cause skid marks :neen:
It's all good

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 13:44:53 »
Had just written and posted on this subject under the heading OEM Panniers and then found this disturbing heading.
to quote from my posting...
The left hand ( portside ) pannier on my Wee-GT has been replaced 3 times since I bought it late July and still won't close properly without a great effort. 3 times its dropped down on me once when just about to filter 'tween cars ( nasty ). No problems with the right hand one which closes with a healthy click. Anyone else had similar problems? I know that Suzuki OEM luggage is not highly thought of and of course now have regrets about having chosen the GT when I could have fitted better gear for a somewhat similar price. The new stuff they are fitting to the Adventure model looks to be a whole lot better. Awaiting Suzuki head office decision re: the portside pannier and hoping for the best...
Am now chasing up Suzuki on this as have no faith whatsoever in these boxes.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Drifter's Escape

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 23:12:06 »
Countrysailor,  I have no idea why I haven't written to Suzuki too! Who / where did you write to?
Considering the I-pod I lost cost me £200 I think maybe I should.
Yours could have been a hell of lot worse than mine if you hadn't noticed it and hit the rear of a car during your filtering, I didn't notice mine had opened for at least half a mile.
It's all good

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:12:30 »
Coming back through the euro tunnel the other day I noticed a bloke with a set of oem luggage with straps around them, must be a known problem.

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 14:45:53 »
Hi Drifter, My Dealer, Premier Motorcycles is dealing with the matter for me.

Offline Drifter's Escape

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 16:15:18 »
Cheers countrysailor, as mine is now just out of warranty I will probably need to write to Suzuki. I'll be replacing them with something a bit more substantial, meanwhile as putinboot says, I'll bungie them!
It's all good

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 14:32:57 »
I'm told by Suzuki that they have only ever had one complaint about panniers opening unannounced before and I now know better from this site alone. I would be interested to see if there are any others that folks know about and start a list for Suzuki.

Offline boxer750

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 19:14:55 »
Just as I'm about to go on my first trip of a few days loaded up with luggage etc. I read of the mysteriously opening panniers. Looking inside mine, I think that stuff inside can get in the way and prvent proper closing. Not a good design.
Also what dweeb designed such an awful shape. OK for a sandwich box , and a few bits, but capacity is useless especially when  was getting paranoid about them falling apart, so not jam packing them like my old classic Krausers..
Oh, and while I'm grumbling (it's my age...), filtering was a nervous experience too, they are soooo flipping wide. The width of the whole shooting match on my Vee, means I will be forced to buy replacement pipes to get it as narrow as I can when I get new frames and ally panniers. I like panniers you can use as a seat when camping...

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:11 »
And this morning I was just thinking wouldn't it be nice if my panniers were to suddenly open and a pile of rocks were to fall out onto that moron who is tailgating me!
But, of course, if you wish to discuss this further we could just step outside!