Author Topic: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.  (Read 13793 times)

Offline Countrysailor

Re: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 17:49:10 »
Good Pics and info Juv. I don't do anything like your mileage so would be unable to show how good this system is. Like you I am well happy with mine as well as the fact that I can expect even better miles from it than the makers suggest.  :thumb:  :thumb:
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline macvisual

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 07:02:34 »
Top tip;

Call into your local garden outdoor store, buy 5 gallons of 'CHAIN SAW OIL' for under £10, it's anti-fling and marvellous stuff.

I've been using it for 2/3yrs now with fabulous results on my DL1000 chain, I also use it to top-up my Scottoiler under the seat.

Cheap as chips and excellent oil for any chain, trust me.
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline Strommer

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:04 »
Hard wax chain greaser...

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 10:09:52 »
You can't use that, Its past its sell by date Strommer.  :old:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 13:59:02 »
12440 miles and counting... the block isn't even halfway and the chain still looks very good (inspected it this weekend.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline longman

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 15:11:15 »
Thanks for an update. I am really looking forward to the end of your review coz my eventual purchase depends on the results you will get.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 15:20:57 »
Thanks for the update Juv, I was going to ask how its going. I don't do anything like the mileage you do so it looks like we have a cracking buy in this system. It seems like we are the only 2 that are using this. I know there have been knockers on here but you are proof that it works, its clean and in the long run not an expensive item. The final proof will be when you examine and report on your chains life.
 :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 16:51:05 »
I'm certainly very happy with the results as it saves me a lot of hassle on chain maintenance. It's not entirely maintenance free, I still wipe the chain with a cloth every 2-3 weeks to clean it a bit and then wipe it with a oily cloth to stop the side plates from rusting. It still gives me the opportunity to check that all is good with the chain, but it's very easy and fast. One of the best things is still how clean it all is, I'd hate to have a chain driven bike that for the kind of miles I do that doesn't have this system on it. I might buy a gold plated chain the next time around, it shouldn't have the side plate rusting issue (or am I mistaken?)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 19:30:33 »
I have in mind an X ring gold one for the same reason but I've a few miles to go yet afore that's needed.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 16:55:27 »
Another quick update: I noticed that now that the salt is all cleared from the roads and we have less wet days the side plates on the chain are no longer rusting so easily, make sense really. The last 4 or 5 times I've only wiped it clean and didn't put any oil on it like before. Still looking good, I'll keep an eye on it.

13297 miles now.

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2011, 17:31:15 »
Re: Salt. Same here, no rust.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2011, 13:34:42 »
I installed the Carbon For Bikes system @ 54235 miles with a new DID 525 VX chain (116 link) and new sprockets front and rear (15/45, Sunstar brand if anyone wanted to know.) I just replaced the chain and sprockets now @ 70351 miles. They lasted 16116 miles, but in reality I should have replaced them 1k ago. The chain had several stiff links and at the end I could feel them running through the footpegs. The last two days I rode to work and home very slowly (well it felt like it was very slow :grin: ), 75mph indicated, maybe I'm paranoid because I've had a chain snap on me before. I've seen chains looking a lot worse than this one so I think I'm being overly cautious. Bear in mind that this chain had been on the bike through part of winter and had seen a lot of salt and water. Sprockets weren't worn half as bad as I normally had them when I used chain oil. I could see the rear was slightly worn by looking very closely, the front was worn at a slight slant rather than having hooked teeth as I was seeing with oil lubing. That said, I did occasionally wipe the chain with an oily rag after cleaning, more for keeping rust on the side plates at bay than for any kind of lubing purpose.

Yes, the big question: how does the solid wax block look?
The block is about halfway worn, perhaps a bit less. I figure it will last for the life if the new chain. We'll have to see as it is summer now (or so they tell me...) and there's no salt involved so the chain might last longer than the previous one. The manufacturers claimed 6000km but I have had 16000 miles from it, I'm very impressed.

One thing I have to mention is that I only ever adjusted the chain once in the entire 16k miles it did. The adjustment was minor, not even a quarter of a mark on the swingarm. I put this down to initial chain stretch rather than actual wear. When I removed it the chain slack was still in spec (though I tend to like a chain that's a tad more slack than the inch or so of play they specify.) To be honest, if the chain didn't have any stiff links I would have been happy to leave it on until 30k as the sprockets would likely have lasted that long.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2011, 19:44:38 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
The manufacturers claimed 6000km but I have had 16000 miles from it, I'm very impressed.

Can't help thinking that if you had adjusted the block and sacrificed more of the block you would have got more life out of that chain.  The convenience of the block seems reasonable, though I'll be expecting my scottoiler to nurse my chain and sprockets to 30k.

FYI my chain and sprockets are just at 9k and I adjusted the chain for the first time recently.  Still got 3/4 marks left and no stiff links.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2011, 20:01:30 »
There's no need to adjust the block, the chain rubs on it all the time. The faster I go the more it rubs, the slower the opposite. If it's lubed well it will shave less of the block, if not it will pick up more, it's much more accurate than any oil lube system can be. The difference is that there's no wet stuff to flow into the seals, maybe they need it to stay soft or something?  :shrug: The upside is there's no oil fling and the chain doesn't collect dust in the oil to make a grinding paste of it. The best thing for me is the low maintenance, I was willing to pay for it and I'm happy with 15k from a chain and 30k from a block. Otherwise I'd have to clean and oil the chain twice a week in good weather and almost every day in bad weather if I did it manually. I had a Tuturo, it was useless after a while, I don't know if a Scottoiler would be any better, but I'm never going to find out anyway :grin:

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2011, 20:04:07 »
Thanks for the update Juv. I don't put in nearly the miles you do so I won't be buying a wax top up for a good  while yet.

Offline longman

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2011, 21:50:11 »
Thanks for an update Juv, it looks like my solid wax system will be arriving soon:) was waiting for the end of your review to make my final decision.
Longman

Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2011, 21:57:01 »
I'm happy with it, but maybe the Scottoiler blokes shows state their case too before you make a decision?

Offline longman

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2011, 22:15:47 »
I want maintenance free:) I had a look at your chain and I like the idea of doing almost nothing. don't want the scotoiler because of the weather adjustments necessary. Also I am fed up with the oil on my bike:):)
Longman

Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 00:08:47 »
OK I don't know how long a rear chain lasts on a Wee.  But I have just replaced the rear chain on my Aprilia 750 at 21500 miles.  This is on a bike that uses a 525 chain and produces approximately 70-80BHP at the rear wheel.
So on reflection 16000+ miles on a chain doesn't look that good to me.
How long do you blokes get out of a rear chain using normal chain lube?

Keith
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline ADV.john

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:45 »
On my last Bike. Aprillia caponord. Using a self lubricating system.( home made) I got 23k no wear to rear sprocket only wear on front sprocket. v-twin with 105bhp. I'm using the same system on my Wee up to 9k & all is well.  I think the only  upside to yours is, You have a very clean rear end  & swinging arm area. Mine is oily & needs cleaning often.
Plus mine cost me a few pence to make &  Â£1 to charity ( I bought the idea from some one).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles