Author Topic: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.  (Read 13792 times)

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
Re: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 23:51:59 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I'd think they'd make more money if they sold the cradles for cheaper so that people buy them. The blocks are a consumeable and if they have a larger install base the money would be coming from the block sales.
My thoughts exactly, they should look on it like printer manufaturers do, sell the printer for peanuts and make the money on the ink. Sell the holder for less and make the money on the blocks. Also for what I can see on the web site there does not look like any spring mechanism to keep the block in contact with the chain as it wears so how does that work. You are never going to get the whole use of the block unless the block has the ability to move up as it wears.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 00:22:42 »
The block is at the top of the swingarm, the chain runs over it, gravity FTW :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline putbinoot

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 10:38:32 »
Yeah I see that, I assume the bounce in the chain.
Any pictures of it on your bike.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 15:11:24 »
I was just updating my spreadsheet with the stuff I recently did. I earlier said the order came to £165, but this is wrong, it came to £142.76 (which is about €165.)

I took some pictures with my phone, since the chain waxer is hidden quite well it's difficult to get a good picture showing it properly.

Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline putbinoot

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 18:43:34 »
Thanks for pics, although I would not mind giving it a shot the price for the plate is just to steep.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 18:46:00 »
When I've eventually run down one of the blocks I can let you know exactly how many miles I got out of it. I think this is an important thing to know when you buy them. I'd wager it would differ between different bikes/riding styles, but probably not by that much. Countrysailor might be the first to get through a block so he can post too if he knows how many miles he's done. We can compare the two then :)

Offline 73bm73

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 15:38:34 »
I don't trust in this system any more...
It kills a chain within 2.000 km in winter weather conditions (water, salt,...)
See here:
(from the German V-Strom-Forum)

Offline putbinoot

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 15:54:37 »
Does not look to good by the video.

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 10:47:51 »
I have had the hard wax fitted for a few months now and am happy enough. I watched the video with interest and firstly noted the generally dirty condition of the bike in question.I note that the hard wax shown is hardly worn in and that it may well be that this chain was already in a bad unlubricated condition before he fitted it.  O & X ring chains have a sealed lubricant which sees to the rollers internal lubrication and depending on the quality of the chain should last the life of the chain. The chain ( mine included ) fitted by Suzuki is not one that most people would fit again, I do get a slight rusting on the outer faces of the links and twice in all the time I've had the hard wax fitted have taken an oil soaked rag in order to ease this, mainly for cosmetic reasons. If you read the FAQ you'll find Carbon for bikes make no claim to lubricate the outer case of the link and recommend fitting a nickel plated or similar chain to eliminate this.The rust which they say may happen is only surface.  Even in the video you can see the rollers are clean and shiny with no rust and there is a coating on the teeth of the cogs, this is where its needed in my opinion.  I shall when the time comes be fitting a quality X ring chain and will be happy enough to continue with the hard wax. Its like all things, pros and cons and personally I like not having oil flung all over the rear end of my bike and pillion passengers legs.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Strommer

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 11:35:04 »
I fell asleep during the video.....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Oldie

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:16 »
It was just a video of a bloke who doesn't look after his bike and looking for someone to blame. Any chain can attract a bit of surface rust if left unattended, just give it a quick clean for goodness sake.

He's probably made another video showing how the rubber wore away from his tyres after 10,000 mls.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 23:04:09 »
I've noticed my chain's side plates seem to get a bit of surface rust, the rollers and sprockets are lubricated though. You can test this by dragging a finger on them, it gives of a metallic residue. I took a wire brush to the sides of the chain when I fitted the rear wheel bearings, few minutes to work around the chain on both sides it looks as good as new. So far I am very happy with it, done 2000 miles it's all looking good down there. It also looks like the block might last a bit longer than they claim, I'm hopeful.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 12:28:20 »
Quick update: 7500 miles on and the chain hasn't even cut into the block deeper than about 6-7mm. The manufacturers claim 6000km (km not miles!) so I can safely say they have it completely wrong. The lack of oil means the side plates get surface rust on them. The first time I noticed the rust I used a brass wire brush to remove it. Since then I have wiped the chain with a clean cloth to clean it and then with a oily cloth just to prevent any rust. When it's wet I do this every weekend and when it's dry I do it every 2nd weekend (more or less anyway :shy:) It takes less then 5 mins to wipe it clean and wipe it with the oily cloth.

Not having any oil on the chain that flings off means I have a bike with a clean tail end except for whatever comes off the road. It also means there's no oil for dirt to cling to and form a grinding past to wear my chain down. When I wipe it clean with a cloth I can hear all the rollers spinning and it's a  good indication for me that things are still working. I have yet to check the front sprocket (will do that with the next service), but the rear sprocket looks to be in very good condition. The other nice thing about this is that it lubes just as well in torrential rain than it does in the dry. Since the chain drags over a block of carbon wax it also means the faster you go the more it lubes and vice versa.

Only problem I have is that I have rust around the rear metal parts on the bike that used to be covered by oil all the time, with out all the oil flinging everywhere I have to remember to ACF-50 things back there better lol

I have very high hopes for it now and I hope I don't get disappointed when I remove the front sprocket cover! I'll keep everyone updated as things goes along.

How are the other people with this getting on with it? Is it just Countrysailor and me so far?

Offline longman

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 19:37:50 »
Hi
I am following this post very carefully. I decided that if it works for you I will get one at the next chain/sprokets change. My current chain will last another 5-6k miles but when the time comes I want to put a new clean chain on and keep it nice and clean with carbon inserts. I hope you will keep posting good stuff about it so I can buy it as well. Thanks
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 20:46:27 »
You're welcome  :grin: Just ask if you have any questions or if you want an update on the mileage or something else related  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 14:44:12 »
Last weekend I removed the front sprocket cover and took some pictures of the chain, sprockets and the lube block. So far I've done approximately 7500 miles with the carbon wax system and I'm very impressed with it. I uploaded some photos to the original album and added some comments to them, here's the link.

In short, sprockets and chain are all looking good. There's no oily mess everywhere anymore, it's all clean and the block is hardly worn at all. Most importantly, I'm convinced that this was worth spending the money for.

Offline 73bm73

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 15:01:18 »
Being very impressed - nice and clean... :thumb:
But what happens with your rear tyre? Has your Wee ever seen a bend...? :neen:  :haha:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 15:16:07 »
I do a 186 mile commute every day, 99% motorway so it squares off a "bit", that was a week before the tyre got replaced :grin:

Offline 73bm73

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 15:23:03 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I do a 186 mile commute every day,...
Wow... :shock: That's a lot...

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 15:35:28 »
Seems the price has fallen to 150 Euros - this is getting more attractive....