Author Topic: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.  (Read 13790 times)

Offline Countrysailor

Hard Wax Chain Greaser.
« on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:32 »
I just received and fitted one of these Carbon for bikes. Quoting from the website.... Solid chain lubrication involves a compact graphite-based material which also contains other functional components. The lubricant can be attached to any motorcycle toward the back of the swing arm in the form of a lubricating rail housed in a retainer. There is also an option to integrate it into the chain guide on motocross motorcycles. Lubrication is based on the abrasion of the lubricant via the movement of the chain. This abrasion transfers the lubricant to the chain. It’s distributed over the entire chain and chain wheels thanks to its good creeping ability. This creates a thin, permanent lubricating film within the entire system. The chain is even lubricated while driving in the rain.  
The fitting instructions involved a little head-scratching and the missus reckoned it took me 2 hours though' that included going next door to borrow a 7mm spanner( never used that size in me life before 8mm 10mm even an occasional 9mm)and having a chat. The written instructions in the 5 language manual wern't the best but its all figurable.( Is figurable a word? )Anyways did the 20km (their words..I made it 14 miles)and checked all for tightness, all good and a slight groove taking place on the carbon. Supposedly this going to last me for 6000K ( over 3500 miles ) and the replacement carbon going to work out at 35 euros so price is okay and the beauty of it is, no mess. I bought and started to fit a Tutoro chain oiler but read about this carbon system and decided to try that. If anyone wants a Tutoro ( twin nozzle ) a fiver to cover postage and me losses and its yours. Will let yoo'se know how this carbon thing is working out meantime you can read all about it at
http://www.carbonforbikes.com
Cheers All
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Countrysailor

Re: Hard Wax Chain Greaser.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 14:50:34 »
Just a little update on this. Its doing a great job and I'm more than happy with it. Working great rain or shine.Won't have to even think about it again for a few thousand miles other than tensioning etc.

Offline Countrysailor

Re: Hard Wax Chain Greaser. ( Tutoro )
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 14:29:13 »
Tutoro now sold.

Offline Pheonix62

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:55:54 »
Hi Countrysailor,
I have visited the site carbon for bikes, and I am tempted also to try this method.
Have you any updates on the product? is it still performing well and what mileage have you covered now.  The reason I ask is that I would like to fit one before the wet/salty weather is upon us, and I have a couple of euro trips planned for next year.  

I was about to purchase a Scottoiler system for the Vee and then I came across your post, I have heard of these solid systems but have never had any feedback from one who uses them.

Regards

Vince  :grin:

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 17:02:48 »
Hi Vince,
I am delighted with it, no mess but the chain stays greased rain or shine and the wear rate seems to be in accordance with their claims.The fitting was easy and spot on for the wee-strom.Figured out from the instructions the way you Got to bolt the bits together and there's a little adjustment to get the chain running along the centre of the wax pad and that's it for the next few thousand miles.
Cheers
Bruce    :thumb:

Offline Pheonix62

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 20:05:33 »
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the reply, I shall most definitely purchase one of those for my Vee.

Its good to know that there are alternatives to liquids that actually work are are quite inexpensive compared to the other big players.

I'll let you know once I have purchased and fitted the system to mine.

Cheers
Vince  :ty:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:10:34 »
I'm curious how this is working for you. Are you still happy with it, had any trouble at all, how is the chain looking?

Did you purchase it from their website or is there a UK distributor?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 00:43:08 »
Hi Mate, Delighted so far, have noticed that I have had to give the outside of the links a wipe with an oily rag twice now but the bit that matters, the rollers have this nice coating at all times. Still ( due to that great winter we,ve just had ) only got 2500 miles on the bike and the wax block has only got a small groove, less than half the chain depth so as it wears down a bit more that may well take care of the sides as well. The no mess in the rear wheel and swing arm is a plus. It looks like the block will last the 30 / 35000 Klicks they estimated. All in all happy with it. I bought it direct from them and it was ( if you study the bits first unlike me ) a half hour job to fit.
Still not fitted me bulbs yet but going to do it soon as off to Ireland at the end of the month for a few days and it'll entail a bit of motorway night riding and the brighter the better for that.
Stay Happy
Bruce

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 14:49:13 »
Thanks for the update, I think I'll be getting one of these in the near future  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:43 »
So do I buy one of these or a do I buy a tin of Chain Lube from the local shop? Now lets see.....chain lube £7.50.....what? €180 to lubricate a chain?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 14:23:29 »
I have a Tuturo chain oiler, it's messy even if you have set to the lowest possible flow. It's affected by the temperature, if it's cold it flows less/not at all, if it's warmer it flows too much. It gets blocked up too, which takes time and a lot of effort to clean. The oil is flung in all directions in line with the chain's rotation. I do ~190 miles a day, 5 days a week, get up at 6:30am and get home at 7:30pm. When I get home I don't want to go out to clean and oil a chain. It's needs more oiling when it rains, one week full of rainy days would be 5 times oiling at night. I literally have 2.5 hours at night to eat, shower and do whatever else before I need to settle down for bed again (I try get to bed at 10pm *cough* I need my beauty sleep *cough*) Not trying to make it sound gloomy, but the money layout for the solid block system is something I can justify by the above mentioned situation :) If I was using the bike any less I probably wouldn't even think of this as a valid solution.

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 14:48:07 »
I knew I was doing' the right thing with the hard wax, ( past experience ) and you've just confirmed mate. I don't seem to worry 'bout such things. It'll take a load off you. I know it seems pricey but 30 to 40,000 kilometers ( 25,000 miles? )
equals a lotta cans of spray at what, a tenner a pop? let alone the extra 'Muck Off' to clean up the mess.
I'm happy enough.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 18:16:53 »
Just ordered this, came to £165 at today's GBP/EUR exchange rates, that's for the holder and 1 block. I'll have a Tuturo chain oiler doing nothing soon :thumb:

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 21:59:45 »
I'm sure you'll be pleased mate.
Stay Happy   :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 22:06:54 »
The Tuturo will be finding a new home with Dracula when I take it off the bike. I'm using it as an excuse to lure him to my hideout for a chat and a brew.

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 22:14:25 »
Just an update to my earlier posting, having re-read the website it states 6000km life, don't know why I had it in my head 30,000, anyways at 34 euros for a refill block ( £28? ) once you have the fitting I still reckon its as cheap as cans of spray or whatever. what's the price of a scott oiler again, they don't exactly give them away and you've still got mess and refilling to do. Regarding the Tutoro, I bought one and fitted it but never put oil in it 'cause I could see it was a pony bit of equipment that was just waiting to get caught up in the chain and the piddly little syringe thing was going to need hiding better than I had it thereby making more hassle to fill. Passed it on to a mate who has now reverted to a can but they don't make a hard wax kit for his bike so he's back on the spray.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 23:02:36 »
I replaced the soft wire they supply in the Tuturo tubing with some steel wire from a wire coat hanger. It keeps the nozzle perfectly placed, haven't had any problems with that since. I did this after half of my twin nozzle got ripped off, it's probably still lying around at the side of some road. I took a cigarette lighter and shrunk the plastic back around the remaining nozzle and that's done about 15k miles like that. I think a thinner oil might work better than the engine oil I've been using, but a thinner oil might fling more.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 20:18:15 »
I installed my solid block chain lube system today. I started by removing the old chain and cleaning all the old oil and gunk from the bike. Had to run it all over twice with Gunk Degreaser (great stuff) before it looked half decent. The cleaning took me ages. I then installed the solid block system and put on a new chain (I'd forgotten to get new sprockets :shy: have some on order that I will put on next weekend.) I must say, I'm quite impressed with my £40ish chain breaker and rivet tool. I forgot to remove a link from the chain because of the 45 rear sprocket so I have to get a new link and do that next weekend. Overall I'm happy with the way it looks and looking forward to not having to clean oil from everywhere constantly. It turns out there are a lot of silver coloured bits on the bike, I always thought they were all black  lol

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 21:39:21 »
While I would be tempted to buy this if the unit was around the same price as the block, but £130 for a bit folded metal is in my mind taking the pish.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 23:34:08 »
It is quite expensive, but it's not cheap crap at all. It comes with what looks like good powdercoating and all the nuts, bolts and washers that you need. Granted, the material is not worth that, but I think that if you tried to make one and finish it that well you'd probably end up spending close to what this one cost. I think it is a long term investment, It will fit my next Wee when this one eventually kicks the bucket (or curb or old lady's car, etc.) How long the blocks will last me is something I will have to see. I'm hoping it lasts me 2 months at least (about 7000miles), but I might be a bit optimistic. I'd think they'd make more money if they sold the cradles for cheaper so that people buy them. The blocks are a consumeable and if they have a larger install base the money would be coming from the block sales.