Author Topic: Chain episode aftermath  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Chain episode aftermath
« on: September 01, 2010, 22:21:10 »
With the recent chain snap I ended up with the rear chain guard mount broken off. I have the bit that was broken off lying around in the garage somewhere. Does anyone know what the swingarm is made from (some kind of alloy?) and what my options are for very securely reattaching the broken off bit? I need to get it fixed quite urgently so that I can fit a new chain guard again (I got a shiny Cymarc one off Andy.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: Chain episode aftermath
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 17:49:09 »
A local engineering firm should be able to weld it back on for you, it should be as strong as new. This will bugger up the finish though.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 16:44:07 »
Can anyone recommend an engineering place that would be able to do the welding? It would if it's within about an hour's ride from Warwick, if possible. If I were closer to Cymarc I'd have bugged him for it, but unfortunately I'm quite far away.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 20:25:37 »
You could always try using liquid metal type stuff, you've nothing to loose from giving it a go.
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 22:27:27 »
I've found a local bloke who might be able to do this, a neighbour (also a biker) is getting the number for me. For peace of mind I'd prefer if it is welded with no chance of coming loose unless the chain snaps and rips it off again.

Offline rat

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 22:21:30 »
If you haven't already had it repaired give me a pm and I'll let you have my friends details he's based near Coventry and would be able to sort your problem out. Regards Rat. :fix:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 14:13:44 »
Actually, I haven't had it fixed, it turned out that the welder the bloke knows doesn't 'do aluminum' so I'm still looking. I'll PM you. Thanks  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 21:09:56 »
So the story is finally coming to an end. I got details from rat for a bloke called Geoff Brown. I called Geoff this morning and he gave me his address, jumped on the bike and went out to him. He TIG welded the broken off rear chain guard mount bit back and build it up a bit more to reinforce it. He also helped me get the stuck bolt out of the front mounting and tapped both holes so that their thread were good again. All that for £20, very reasonable. It took us about an hour to get this done (I say 'us' as I had to remove and replace the rear wheel so he could weld up the other side of the mount too.)

I told Geoff I want to throw his details on here for anyone else in the area that wants something done. I understand he is a biker himself and he does a lot of jobs for people with bikes on top of his other business. He was a pleasant bloke, we chatted about a bunch of random stuff and I even got a cup of coffee out of him. So if you need something done, his details are as below:

Geoff Brown
Linear Projects
Martindale Road
Coventry
CV7 9ET
T: 07966 465 844
E: sales(at)linearprojects.com

I'll probably put up pictures later on.

Thanks rat  :thumb: