Author Topic: fork seals  (Read 723 times)

Offline jilljoy

fork seals
« on: June 15, 2010, 21:04:54 »
can I change them without having to split the forks,ie  pick out old seals and slide them off and slide new ones on.please don't think it is a daft question as I have never done this before ,and a friend of mine says he did his seals this way.also what oil do you recommend.instructions on how to do this will be appreciated.

thanks

Offline Hutchie

Re: fork seals
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:24:42 »
You can , but that is a really hard way to do it, and you could end up with wee bits inside your fork legs, or scratch the fork leg (which would be rather bad)

Before I first did fork seals I thought they were mystical engineery scary things, and that I'd bugger it right up.

Was dead easy really, after reading the manual and websites about 10 times. I don't like doing them, but it is nothing like as hard as it seems. Have a wooden broom handle handy, you can shove that down the fork leg to jam any damper rod bolts as required.

There'll be a ton of writeups on the american sites, have a quick nosey , and think about it. If you have a vice and a wooden broom, plus a socket set and allen keys, there's nothing really to it.

Alternatively, local independent bike shop will do it for about 50 notes.