Author Topic: Trousers  (Read 1441 times)

Offline milano_jon

Trousers
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:42:43 »
I'm new to riding so went out and bought me some waterproof trousers with Knox protection (bit like these: http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/pr ... white.html). Thing is, it's summer and I'm sweating buckets and feeling uncomfortable off the bike.

Are there any viable alternatives to these or leathers that offer good protection and keep my skin on (if I come off)

don't need to be waterproof, as I'll use the ones I have in the rain.

Cheers
Orange 2010 DL-650GT-L0

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Trousers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:24 »
Jon,

Have you seen the Draggin Jeans or similar products?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:01 »
Leathers are good, but my god you sweat,

I'd try the raggin Jeans,
or as an alternative wear some very thin cotton PJs under yoour trousers .. stops them sticking  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline milano_jon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:54 »
Quote from: "Andy V-Strom"
Jon,

Have you seen the Draggin Jeans or similar products?

Yes, but reading reviews, they don't seem to offer good crash protection. I'm new to riding so probably being over cautious.
Orange 2010 DL-650GT-L0

Offline milano_jon

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:14:34 »
Quote from: "Catballou"
Leathers are good, but my god you sweat,

I'd try the raggin Jeans,
or as an alternative wear some very thin cotton PJs under yoour trousers .. stops them sticking  :grin:

Thanks Cat, but won't wearing more layers make me even hotter?!
Orange 2010 DL-650GT-L0

Offline baz tarred

• Bike: Vstrom 800re
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:21:27 »
I recently had an "off" I am soooooo glad I was all in leather. Get them vented, wear a base layer, but always wear the right gear mate.

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 13:12:15 »
You can get armour to go in the draggin's too aparently

There are a few schools of though around this issue, some say that you should wear textile / leathers no matter what, others say jeans are more viable because you suffer less with heat fatigue and so are less likely to have an off

my view is wear what you are comfortable with, I wear textiles all year round apart from the very hottest of days when I wear jeans, this is a personal preference and not the most sensible I know but I suffer badly in the heat

Base layers are key in all weather in my opinion, you need something that's going to wick the sweat away in the heat and then textiles can be worn all bar a few days a year ;)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline milano_jon

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 13:16:32 »
Base layers seem like they might be the solution for me then. Any suggested ones? URLs appreciated.
Orange 2010 DL-650GT-L0

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 14:01:15 »
I have some ace HG textile gore-tex pants for winter but right now I am commuting in a pair of draggin cargos  on dry days and also have a pair of draggin jeans. They have knox knee armour and you can also get hip protectors. I wouldn't use them on a fast rideout but on my commute they are ideal and the cargos are smart enough for work as well. That said I also have a pretty fast road bike (bicycle) and have clocked 46mph on that (downhill admittedly ) in nowt more than a pair of bike shorts , a t-shirt and a polystyrene helmet :shrug:
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline bigdunk

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 16:59:25 »
I wear leathers but if its too hot I wear a pair of hood jeans(kevlar lined and knee and hip armour)

Offline spender

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 17:21:22 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-RK-MESH-MOT ... 2c54b9b1df
has anyone tried this type of gear ?
what's your thoughts...can it do the job at £40

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 22:17:33 »
I've got a similar jacket, lovely in the hot waether but I have no confidence in it now after talking to a bloke who came off wearing one and it basically fell apart, they may have got better since then  :shrug:
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 13:45:59 »
I wear textiles all year around, mine are the Akito Desert ones. They have wind and thermal inners that zip out when you don't need them. They also have vents that can unzip and Knox armour inserts. They are c-o-o-l (bloody Americanism filter...) enough without any inners to work well in the summer, and warm enough to get me through the winters. A quick google for "Akito Desert Textile" should get you enough info on them. They are also priced fair IMHO. I've had an off in mine (~25mph) and they did the protection job well enough.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 14:10:02 »
I wear Hein Gericke textile trousers when its really cold and leather trousers the rest of the time. I wear Draggin Jeans when its exceptionally hot.