Author Topic: petrol guage  (Read 375 times)

Online luv2andy

• Bike: DL650X L0
petrol guage
« on: September 23, 2024, 11:00:41 »
Can anyone give me details of the distance I can ride when the fuel gauge  has gone to the last digit ? Thanks.

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
Re: petrol guage
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 12:04:05 »
No is my answer  :grin:

But please feel free to find out for us (whilst carrying a spare bit of fuel in a can) and then let us all know  :thumb:

Steve T

:sunny:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 12:22:01 »
If it is like the gen3 650 ?
Last bar flashing is 6 litres left , both bar and pump sign flashing is 2 left. So 60 and 20 miles left ..ish?
Reset trip 1 at every fill up and you will get a feel for how long the range is in different situations.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2024, 16:40:52 »
Post moved from Introductions to the General Section.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 07:11:29 »
If I recall correctly, the last fuel indication bar starts flashing with roughly 4.5L remaining in the fuel tank. The fuel symbol joins it by flashing at 3L. Both remain on flashing until empty.
It's generally not a good idea to run the tank empty since the fuel cools the pump.... no fuel equates to a hot fuel pump motor. If you do have to ride the fuel tank until empty, as soon as it stumbles, shut 'er down.

Another point, is that there are many reports on google, of riders having ridden their V-Stroms to the point where they have run out of fuel and have then discovered that their fuel tank was not completely empty. When they refilled the fuel tank, they where surprised that by the amount of fuel that it took to completely fill the tank vs the fuel tank fuel capacity.

I found that often after the bike has been stored for a while with a less than full fuel tank, that the top block on the fuel gauge didn't show up after I filled the tank. This is due to the fuel gauge level, that works on a resistive wiper system, not making proper contact for some reason. Many have posted their cures for this. I find it easier to make use of one of the trip meters to monitor the fuel range of that fuel tank.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 07:38:23 »
Thanks Gert. I was not  100% sure in my earlier post if it applied across gens, but for later reference, this from my '22 gen 3 Owners manual. Note I made a mistake, it is 5l not 6l as I originally posted.But the range remaining is not far out. And the pump blinks first? Weird ,I could have sworn it was the other way round ,but...

Online luv2andy

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2024, 11:20:50 »
.... so no-one knows the answer  :dl_ninite:

Yes I could ride with a fuel can and experiment but I thought someone may have done that already...
It's just that I would like to know when to start panicking or stopping on a remote b road in France which is often the case... 

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2024, 12:32:41 »
The Gen 1 owners manuals available in the downloads section (K4 and K9 both agree, sadly there is no L0 specifically but I can't imagine it will be different) that the fuel lights are as follows.
Flashing fuel pump icon only - 4.5L remaining. As near as damn it 1 gallon so you have somewhere near your average mpg left in miles.
Flashing fuel pump icon and flashing last bar - 3.0L remaining. 0.7 Gallons, do maths as above.

I see it this way.
First fuel light, start thinking about fuel, see if there are any on your planned route or keep an eye out if not following a set itinerary.
Both flashing, find fuel pronto, after 5/10 miles or so get searching for the closest fuel station and head there regardless of your route.
I do find the Suzuki guage a little cautious and have ridden several miles on the second light, only to find I can get less fuel in than I should.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2024, 16:45:46 »
Last year I ran the range left countdown on my 2014 1000 till 0 about 2 miles from home, made it home OK then ran the bike in the garage every few weeks till it ran out of fuel. Removed the tank to do the fuel strainer and there was till three quarters of a litre left the bike couldn't use. Granted it was on the centre stand but the front wheel was on a paddock stand also.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2024, 19:22:40 »
Personally, as everyone rides differently and no bike, despite being the same model is ever the same, relying on someone else's findings could land you in a spot of bother.

Best experiment yourself as only you Will know your bikes characteristics and limitations.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2024, 20:01:47 »
My advice, fwiw, don't experiment. If you're concerned about running out when touring, then just fill up regularly. I will fill up at the first petrol station in the morning, then do no more than 150/200 miles before filling up again.   
You've (well I have) got to stop every couple of hours so make it at a petrol station.  :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline SteveH

• Bike: DL1000, Honda Silverwing 600
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2024, 09:07:08 »
Your mpg changes with speed.
The old theory that if I'm on reserve I'll ride faster so I get to the petrol station quicker is wrong 🙂

Online luv2andy

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2024, 13:29:22 »
Thanks for all the individual response (s) to the fuel gauge.
Around a gallon seems to be the one I'd hope was correct, and in that regard one could presume that 50 miles was available. Unless as suggested I go faster to get there quicker :)
And yes I also fill up in the mornings if available and can rest assured that 200 miles is available at least. I mean when touring. I have also diverted to a town or two after a certain point knowing the chances are higher of finding somewhere to refuel. Probably that's the idea of knowing how far it is to the next nights stop over etc. I mean / the diversion bit. Knowing exactly... 

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2024, 06:50:28 »
Maybe invest in a fuel cell for when touring, as added peace of mind wrt possible running out of fuel.
I found many useful tips on long distance riding preparation, from those who have successfully completed an Iron arse adventure, https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/index.php