Author Topic: Vstrom 800DE's on techincal hold?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline KokoEd

Vstrom 800DE's on techincal hold?
« on: July 21, 2024, 17:50:27 »
Good evening all,

I'm trying to buy an 800DE at the moment but my dealer is unable to regsiter the bike. On the evening of the 12th they got an email from Suzuki saying the 800 DE was on 'technical hold' and they can't register/release the bike.

Its been over a week now and still no word from Suzuki about what is happening.

Is anyone else in a similar situation or have heard anything from Suzuki?  There appears to be little to no informaion online.

Offline Bobmc

• Bike: DL1000 K6 and DL650 L3 Honda Vf500f2 Honda Vf750 Honda VF1000r Honda VFR750 Suzuki DR350 Kawasaki KLX 450r BMW G 650 GS
Re: Vstrom 800DE's on techincal hold?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 19:52:33 »
According to MCN online there is a technical issue with tyres. Existing owners told to stop riding and is also holding up delivery of new bikes

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 23:52:57 »
Suzuki UK has launched a recall which relates to its V-Strom 800DE adventure bike, with the OEM tyre on the machine being at the centre of the action.

It isn’t said what the issue is, only that customers should stop riding their V-Strom 800DE (the V-Strom 800RE and V-Strom 1050DE aren’t affected) and contact their nearest Suzuki dealer to begin the process. Should the bike still be on the OEM hoops, the ones it left the showroom on, the customer can then request for the bike to be picked up and taken to their nearest dealership where the tyres can be swapped out. Suzuki will then return the bike to the owner and any costs incurred will be sent back to the manufacturer.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 05:35:31 »
Interesting. I can't see any recall notices on Dunlop's site, and that tyre is still advertised. This would seem to support the idea that the o.e tyres fitted on new bikes are not the same as the ones we would buy *off the shelf".

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 09:07:49 »
Could have been a bad batch of tyres that were only supplied to Suzuki though? Or an issue with the installation process.

I keep seeing videos that claim OEM tyres are the same as the ones we buy, and other videos saying they're not so who knows.

Fingers crossed that whoever is affected by this gets their tyres swapped quickly so they can get back out on the road  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 08:56:04 »
Interesting. I can't see any recall notices on Dunlop's site, and that tyre is still advertised. This would seem to support the idea that the o.e tyres fitted on new bikes are not the same as the ones we would buy *off the shelf".

Rode a significant distance on two of these bikes last month. The front end kept going lite mid bend and caused some concern. Frightened me big style the first time as thought it was me or my pillion. It was slow tight turns, more often a gentle downhill with no throttle or on the level again no throttle and slight over run. Took me most of a weeks solid riding on nothing but mountains with hills and hairpin bends to fathom out when it would happen. Front was the original Japanese Dunlop, rear swapped out already for another brand. 5 000 ish miles from new. Checked front pressure at a garage airline which showed down a few psi so put four more in. A little better but still unsettling so took the bike back end of day two. bloke at the hire shops headquarters said they had many problems with the front tyres on the vstrom fleet. Replacement was much better but by no means brilliant. On same tyres but not so badly worn on the front.
Both bikes front tyres were heavily cupped. Due to heavy braking in a straight line. Braking in corners was also very easy due to the fantastic discs and very rigid upside down forks. I put the issues down to the blocky tyres simply not being up to the performance of the bike. The second bikes front tyre probably not so badly worn at the same miles from new because its front brake lacked much of the feel and power of the first bike. All that weight and performance on a narrow blocky tyre which didn't feel to have much integrity in its carcas can't be good. None of the hire fleets stroms still had their original rears.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline stoatsngroats

• Bike: VStrom 800 DE
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2024, 15:28:22 »
I’ve had my 800DE collected this morning and tyres will be replaced tomorrow with Metzeler Tourance, front and rear.

I’d called My dealer on Monday last week, to check about a recall and at that stage he was unaware of anything, but contacted me on Friday last and advised to stop riding the bike - they would arrange to collect this week.

On Saturday I received a letter from Suzuki GB which gives a few more details, but doesn’t go into detail,about the defect with the tyre, just that the rear tyre is the concern, but they’ll replace both.
All without cost to me.

On the whole, I’m happy with  SuzukiGB and my dealer working through this.
Quiet applause will do.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2024, 17:58:17 »
In the last Front End Chatter podcast they were talking about this recall as an example of how to do it, and comparing how KTM are handling the "chocolate" cam issue recently.No recall , but something going on they say, not good public relations.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2024, 19:06:32 »
Ahh here is the right place.. sorry.
Belatedly KTM cams.
Pics at 1.30 .

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2024, 19:18:09 »
 pretty curius about this   as   the same tyres  are fitted to  the de1050    mixtours  ?
    I had abaslutly no problem with them at all wet or dry  ..the rears were  toasted  well before 2k miles    so I bought a  2nd hand rear to  wear out withthe front   ..the 2nd rear   wore out and the front  was still good  at 4k miles to go again   ..
         it must surly be a bad batch of tyres  on certain vin numbers id think  ..tbo  apart from the tragiv wear rate on the rear   I thought them tyres were pretty good 

seems very strange  to me   that the tyres  are only  being recalled /investigated on one model of bike   ...???
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2024, 11:10:34 »
"There are 304 affected machines registered in the UK" so likely an identifiable production batch. Seems as if Dunop aren't co operating or they can't meet demand as Metzler have been supplying replacements. Wonder if Metzlers are also being used as replacement in other markets?
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2024, 14:58:54 »
If the Metzelers are as good as the Tourance Next seem to be on the KTM,  owners should be happy.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2024, 20:17:08 »
Are Suzuki replacing the tyres with Metzeler tourance Next 2's?
good vote of confidence in Metzeler.

Offline stoatsngroats

• Bike: VStrom 800 DE
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2024, 07:42:37 »
I have had the Torrance’s fitted, not the Next 2.
Quiet applause will do.

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2024, 17:33:22 »
It would be nice to hear how you get on with them.
I am looking to replace the tyres on my cb500x and these are one of the options after I have spoken to my insurers to see if going from the standard 160/60/17 which has limited choice to a 150/70/17

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2024, 00:00:31 »
Limited choice on a 160/60/17 ..? Its one of the most common sized tyres on the market.  :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2024, 18:00:09 »
Yes it is but not with a matching 19'' option. The bigger choice of 110/80/19 front tyres only have 150/70/17 rear options.
I have looked at the Anakee Adventures but some people have said that they are not that good in the rain when part worn. and are very noisy. My road option would have to be the road 6 but I was not as keen on them on the 1050 even though my previous Pilot roads 2,3,4 and 5's have been fantastic in the wet or dry.
This is about as far I want to go off road

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2024, 19:24:56 »
Anakee Adventures are a great tyre, I've had several sets and never had any issues, even when worn.

Are they noisy..? , not really if you compare them to say, the older tourance,  scorpion STR's or conti TKC 80's.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2024, 19:56:54 »
I've got Anakee Roads (certainly quieter than Anakee 111s on the road) and they are 10% off road tyres like those dusty tracks deecat, no puddles or big gravel or rutty terrain but my bike is not an 800DE so I'd expect the Michelin Adventures would be the choice like kwackboy suggests. OK, personal views but you have to experience them (any tyre) yourself to have experience and not just "I've heard" type comments. I haven't put any Pilots on my bikes but won't use them because 'I've heard' they won't last like Anakees. There you are with the problem.

Tyre choice becomes a bit like supporting a football team........  :shock:
So how's it going so far then?