Author Topic: Handlebar Shaking/Wobble  (Read 493 times)

Offline Chrisjames

• Bike: DL650 V-Strom
Handlebar Shaking/Wobble
« on: July 19, 2024, 11:54:01 »
Hello all,
Wonder if anyone can give me advice, I had Conti Trail Attack Tyres on my 2014 650 V Strom, found them great lots of miles on them and handled great in the wet and dry. Now I've come to change them I've decided to put the same tyres on again and just in time to go abroad in August. However since they have been changed I'm getting a slight wobble/shaking in the handlebars, anywhere from 30/35 onwards, I went back to the garage and spoke about it, he rechecked the tyre and the balancing and said their are OK, however didn't have this before the tyre change, he had also done a pre tour check on the bike too, so to check for any issues needed addressing before we go. When coming off the throttle if I take my hands off around 40mph as its slowing down the handlebars can get more aggressive shaking. Its not awful when riding and keeping throttle on but you can tell there's a slight shaking, my main concern is when I went into a roundabout, I felt it wobble when I was leaning and it made me feel uneasy.
The mechanic did notice that the tyre ever so slightly kicks out when spinning on the balancer (like a buckled wheel but not to that extreme) but we checked that and the wheel is fine.
I've contacted the supplier but haven't received a reply yet.

Just wonder if any of you have any thoughts on this?
Many Thanks

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Handlebar Shaking/Wobble
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 12:41:30 »
A bad tyre would definitely cause a bad balance. I'd push for a replacement tyre, maybe you just got really unlucky.
As an alternative thought. Loose headset bearings are a classic for the shake off the throttle.
Mine started out as a tiny vibe through the bars which I only noticed on long runs as I started to get pins and needles in my hands, I couldn't even feel the vibration as such. Shortly after this stage I started to get a weird feeling of the front end not holding a line as well as it did before. Eventually I noticed the wobble at speed and then finally the full tank slapper off throttle downhill. All happened in about 2 months during a heatwave. I don't know if the heat had any effect due to expansion of different materials etc but replacing them sorted the lot.

Offline Chrisjames

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 13:14:33 »
Yeah I get what you mean, I'm going to put some more miles on it this weekend hopefully and see how I feel, and then take it back to the mechanic and ask just to recheck the bearings, wheels and steering head.
My thoughts are that I've done some miles on it last few weeks and its been fine, and this has only started as soon as the tyres are changed, like I noticed it in the first few miles and ever since, done about 150miles on the tyre so far. So that's got me thinking would it be the head bearings if it was fine last week and then an issue as soon as the tyres were changed?

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 13:17:11 »
Chris, this is not unusual on many bikes.
If you can control it by keeping your hands on the bars then it's probably OK....but....there's always a but....low speed wobble can lead to high speed weave.
 Before going abroad ensure the bike is steady at touring speeds and loads. If not then you'll have to do some'at. That some'at might just be a few miles to take the crown off the tyre.
Upt.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 13:18:39 »
To reply to the last post Chris...
It's the tyre, but probably OK.
Upt.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 13:21:55 »
The garage should be contacting the tyre supplier on your behalf.
If the slight 'kick out' is noticeable & they've checked the wheel is not buckled, did they check that the 'kick out' wasn't in the tyre itself?
Yes, have the head bearings checked, although if you've had a 'pre tour check' the head bearings should have been part of that?   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Chrisjames

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 13:24:51 »
Thanks Upt, Yeah I get that, I have done some motorway riding to see what it would be like at touring speed and again its not too bad, just that I can tell its not right, and likely the tyre and some mileage may crown it off as you say.
I'm hoping to do some mileage this weekend, so ill do some full up, ill load my panniers etc and put some weight on then to test touring conditions too. I'm leaning towards its just the tyre and should be fine after some miles.

Offline Chrisjames

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 13:28:05 »
Quote removed

I've contacted them as I bought the tyres direct from the supplier and had the mechanic fit them.
Yes the kick out as such was coming from the tyre he said, he had a chalk marker under the tyre and spun the wheel and you can it stepping out and touching the chalk.

Will get the head bearings rechecked, but yes I would have thought it would be part of the pre check

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 13:36:47 »
Fair enough, if you bought the tyre elsewhere then the fitter isn't responsible.
Another reason to buy tyres from & have them fitted by the local garage. You don't save that much in the end.  :icon_wink:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 17:04:06 »
Me ,especially as it is the front, I would get rid of the tyre, and get another.....From somewhere else.  :icon_wink:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2024, 21:43:59 »
Might be a coincidence but sometimes the problems you describe can be caused by something coming loose at the rear of the Bike.

For example,  if you have panniers or a top box that's had a mount come loose ...

Just a thought as I've seen this many times .

With regard to the tyre you've had fitted,  a little run-out shouldn't cause such issues if the wheel has been balanced correctly.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2024, 22:25:10 »
I had similar on a new tyre and was eventually replaced and the issue disappeared. Having had the owner of the tyre shop moan at me and blame me for it, the lass who does all the custom facing told him to shut his face and they popped a part worn tyre on and the issue disappeared. They then agreed to replace the tyre (this was despite the tyre manufacturer stating immediately that it should be replaced when I contacted them).

If the fault occurred (and reported) within 30 days you should be entitled to a refund/replacement.

Offline Chrisjames

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2024, 11:28:53 »
Might be a coincidence but sometimes the problems you describe can be caused by something coming loose at the rear of the Bike.

For example,  if you have panniers or a top box that's had a mount come loose ...

Just a thought as I've seen this many times .

With regard to the tyre you've had fitted,  a little run-out shouldn't cause such issues if the wheel has been balanced correctly.

Thanks for this I'll take a look and check everything at the rear too.

Offline Chrisjames

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2024, 11:33:06 »
I had similar on a new tyre and was eventually replaced and the issue disappeared. Having had the owner of the tyre shop moan at me and blame me for it, the lass who does all the custom facing told him to shut his face and they popped a part worn tyre on and the issue disappeared. They then agreed to replace the tyre (this was despite the tyre manufacturer stating immediately that it should be replaced when I contacted them).

If the fault occurred (and reported) within 30 days you should be entitled to a refund/replacement.

Yeah I wonder if I can contact Conti directly and speak with them to advise.
My bloke did the balancing with a manual balancer rather than machine, I'm trying to see if can get someone to balance it for me with a machine just to check it.
My asked my local dealer if you like if they could just do a balance on my front wheel if I take the wheel to them, said they will not work on loose wheels, even though they have to take the wheel off to balance it??? its getting ridiculous with dealers these days - I just want you to balance the wheel, and I am happy to pay for it

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2024, 15:04:44 »
  There are not many dynamic motorcycle wheel balancing machines about,I have only ever seen one, and that was at a police vehicle maintenance building in Sheffield.
   If you lived nearer I would check it for you.
Ian Mc.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 18:13:01 »
I've got one but it's knocking on a bit , still works though  :old:

So if you're ever visiting the big smoke,  pop by , I'll make sure its balanced :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂