Author Topic: Oxford Mondial jacket v armoured leather patrol style  (Read 656 times)

Offline locksim

• Bike: DL650 AL8
Oxford Mondial jacket v armoured leather patrol style
« on: July 17, 2024, 19:29:08 »
I must admit I'm tempted to move on from leather after 40yrs!

The Mondial has great reviews. Anyone care to suggest if they are as good as they sound?

Thanks, Simon

Offline duck-strom

• Bike: DL650XT
Re: Oxford Mondial jacket v armoured leather patrol style
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 20:46:21 »
Hi Locksim

I have had the Oxford Mondial for about 3 years, it's a very good jacket. I've used it for commuting and touring and has never let in water in even the most torrential rain, and it dry's out easily. Pockets and vents are all good.
A couple of niggly points though;
The collar is quite wide and low, I am quite slim though. The adjuster on the collar is useless it simply keeps going back to werever it feels comfortable.
As with other jackets the bellows lining under the sleeve zips is prone to catching in the zip unless you are careful when you zip it up
The adjustable belts at the sides are massive, but again I am quite slim, I've put in extra web loops to cure this.

I would still recommend this for the price it's still a good buy.
Yamaha FS1E >Yamaha DT125> Yamaha DT175 > CB400N > Yamaha XJ650 > SV650s > Aprilia SL1000R >> DL 650XT

Offline locksim

• Bike: DL650 AL8
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 22:12:49 »
Many thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Simon

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 22:26:31 »
I concur.  I've just replaced my 7 year old Rukka kit with the Oxford Hinterland suit. One tenth of the price of replacing the Rukka.  With the collar,  I bought the separate storm collar which gees over the top and deals with it being a little low and difficult to adjust.  Decent enough quality at a good price.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 23:16:12 »
I've ridden with a Mondial for the last couple of years. Maybe more.
It's a game changer.
No water getting in to weigh the garment down, quick shake and it's dry.
Nice and snug so the armour stays very secure, very leather like in that respect.
The front vents in warm weather work very well.
Buy it.
Upt.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 11:29:19 »
As a recent convert to the Mondial kit I can say it's very comfortable, light weight and actually waterproof! It's very adjustable and allows very good, unrestricted movement. It does get a bit warm when it gets over 20c, even with the vents open, but I've got a mesh jacket for those days. Very happy with the jacket & trousers  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 13:12:39 »
I've had the Mondial Suit for a few years now. The jacket is ace and I've used it in all conditions for rides and tours. It has not let me down and is fully waterproof. It has some great features as already mentioned. If I needed to replace it. I'd get the same again.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 13:17:40 »
After many years of using leathers, mainly during the summer, they have now gone off to the charity shop.

For cold and touring I use RST Endurance jacket and trousers (removable linings), and for the summer an Oxford Dakar summer jacket (removable rain lining) and Oxford armoured jeans.

I know there’s the better protection of leather, but my latest kit is far more comfortable and a lot cooler in the heat.👍

Offline Sir Trev

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 18:02:00 »
I find my textile jacket (Alpinestars in my case) way more comfortable than my leather, so the latter has languished in the cupboard unused for years now.

Wear what you find most comfortable as you're more likely to be relaxed that way and ride smoother as a consequence.
We are the Goon Squad and we're coming to town - BEEP BEEP!

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 09:09:39 »
Quite like the Oxford Jackets especially for the price; I have the Churchill Jacket for colder days it's a trad style like a Belstaff in design, good armour, fitted a back protector.

Two years ago after cooking on the bike in the heatwave touring abroad I purchased the Oxford Arizona mesh jacket and trousers; now worn it for 2x2k mile mid Summer tours (upgraded the armour to D3O inserts) and have to say I am very impressed, followed Simon Weir's advice and usued layering items windproof baselayer, synthetic summer baselayer and a thin thermal Gore windproof jacket along with a set of waterproofs for all weathers....was a great system and the mesh works well to keep you cool, last week was mid 30's in France! I went for the grey as well to try to deflect the heat/enhance visibility (probably look a bit of a twat in all grey but Hello ho)

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 18:05:56 »
I’ve had the Mondial suit for a couple of years now and really like it. Never leaked and now thinking of buying a second one to use during the summer and keep the original for the salt season and colder weather.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2024, 14:41:17 »
My Oxford Mondial jacket has velcrow fastening on the copious inside pockets. Try putting you phone in one (Bloody velcrow) You need to use two hands. Comments about neck opening are spot on. I use and extra neck tube to keep the drafts and wasps out.
In truth it is a better jacket than I though it was when I bought it. Wait for a sportsbike shop price reduction / sale.
It is good, but not as good as my 20 year old Rev'it jacket, but then again modern Rev'it jackets are not as good either.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2024, 23:00:17 »
UPDATE - My Oxford trousers leaked badly during a trip to the Isle of Man. Sportsbkeshop were brilliant and replaced them without question.  On my next trip to Normandy,  the new pair leaked.  I may just have been unlucky but I have returned both and bit the bullet, replaced with Rukka.  Wallet hurts but I should stay dry.