Author Topic: Led light conversion  (Read 646 times)

Offline Adamsale

• Bike: DL650 L4, Honda PCX125
Led light conversion
« on: July 12, 2024, 19:07:15 »
Hi,

Looking for advice please. I ride a 2014 DL650a and would like to covert my headlights to LED. I’ve seen some LED bulb conversion kits on line and wonder whether it is as simple a process to change as they indicate?

Any help and steers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Gillie76

• Bike: DL650A K9
Re: Led light conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 19:10:23 »
Hi mate, I swapped mine out for Auxito LED bulbs I got on ebay. Did the sidelights, headlights and rear light. For my K9 it was just a simple swap out job 👍

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 21:37:12 »
Hi Adam.

I'm sure you're aware of the issues you can have with LED bulbs - if the actual emitters are too large you'll get a floodlight effect from the reflector as it is designed for more of a point source light (a tiny filament) and that will blind/seriously piss off anyone coming your way - so, the best kind of LED bulbs to look for are ones which emulate the elements in an ordinary H4 incandescent bulb.

For the past 18 months I have been using these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/I.html?_from=R40&_nkw=NOVSIGHT+HB2+H4+9003+LED+Headlight+Bulbs+Kit+Hi%2FL+Beam+Replace+13000LM+60W+White&_sacat=0

Which do just that.  Ignore all of the advertising bullshit - the numbers are bollocks and increase every time the auction is renewed, just to keep up with the Joneses (or the Jin-Pings) ### but the bulbs are excellent and are just a straight swap. 

35W draw each - so, less strain on the battery, and Bright AF - but you can't use the rubber boot as the lights need access to fresh air for the radiator fans (they still seal around the housing though and I've never had condensation in the lights and I commute in all weather).  The fans do make a noticable noise if the ignition is on with the engine off, they start quiet and ramp up as the lights get hot - but you'll never hear them with the engine running.

For sidelights I use these:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294830686026?var=593183304882

But there are literally thousands of different ones out there, so, pick your poison.

Hope that helps.
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 18:35:03 »
Thank you blokes I’ll look at both your suggestions and take it from there.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 18:42:22 »
Hi mate, I swapped mine out for Auxito LED bulbs I got on ebay. Did the sidelights, headlights and rear light. For my K9 it was just a simple swap out job 👍

Hi could you kindly post an email link for the correct bulb/s. It would be much appreciated.

Cheers John

Offline Gillie76

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2024, 18:47:32 »
I'm not sure what the correct bulbs will be for your bike as it's newer than my Gen1. Just find out what the codes are for the bulbs you want to change and then search for Auxito on eBay. I'm happy with mine so far 👍

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2024, 18:56:46 »
   Personally I wouldn’t bother changing to LED,the headlights on your L4 bike are great,I have a mate that has changed his and is thinking to change them back,he gets lots of flashing as the are so bright,and he says they don't have the distance coverage that the originals do.
Ian Mc.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2024, 19:05:56 »
Interesting comment thank you one I’ll to take into consideration.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2024, 07:34:14 »
Does the point raised in discussion in https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39259.0 still not apply, when converting to LED headlights in the UK?

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2024, 15:19:15 »
A motorcycle with LED bulbs fitted will (or can) pass an MOT providing the emitted beam pattern complies. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 19:12:15 »
Personally I wouldn’t bother changing to LED,the headlights on your L4 bike are great,I have a mate that has changed his and is thinking to change them back,he gets lots of flashing as the are so bright,and he says they don't have the distance coverage that the originals do.

It took me about 3 sets before I found a bulb that worked well and had similar coverage. Ultimately, they don't seem to "reach" as far, but the light they emit is whiter, so you can see more, just not quite as far. You will not outride the visible distance at night doing NSL on an unlit road, even without high beam and aux lights on.

You should always try to get bulbs with fans, LEDs produce heat and that has to get out somehow. LED bulbs without fans will either be running way below their rated power or will die in short succession.

You must check the beam pattern of your new LED bulbs to avoid blinding other drivers, simple to do, just put the bike on the centre stand facing a wall (as far away as possible) and mark out the old beam pattern with masking tape. Put the new LED bulb in, and check the pattern is the same.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2024, 19:18:11 »
I must admit to now being in two minds about LED. One of the reasons I consider it was my riding buddy said he found my headlights difficult to pick up when following him so thought LED might give a better result overall.

There seems to be no definitive way forward that produces the all round end result one would hope for by changing to LED.

Thank you all for your valuable contributions.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 19:34:09 »
Uprated halogen bulbs will make a significant difference if you've not gone that route already. I've been running a pair of Osram Night breaker Lasers for nearly 5yrs now and they're still going strong. Much brighter and whiter than standard bulbs. Failing that, a pair of LED aux lights will make a big difference to how visible you are, even if they don't give you that much extra light to see by.
Both would be relatively cheap and easy upgrades without the complexity.

Offline chrisj

• Bike: None
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2024, 18:35:44 »
Uprated halogen bulbs will make a significant difference if you've not gone that route already. I've been running a pair of Osram Night breaker Lasers for nearly 5yrs now and they're still going strong. Much brighter and whiter than standard bulbs. Failing that, a pair of LED aux lights will make a big difference to how visible you are, even if they don't give you that much extra light to see by.

I'm running those in mine. Way better than standard bulbs.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2024, 17:17:03 »

Hi and many thanks for the advice. I ride a 2014 DL650 and to be sure I buy the right pair of bulbs do you have a link for them that I could follow please. Cheers John.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2024, 17:19:10 »

Hi and many thanks for the advice. I ride a 2014 DL650 and to be sure I buy the right pair of bulbs do you have a link for them that I could follow please. Cheers John.
As above