Author Topic: clutch basket mods  (Read 874 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
clutch basket mods
« on: July 11, 2024, 10:51:28 »
With reference to a question posed to me on Stromtrooper, anyone know if Sharealike still doing the clutch basket rework / mod or is he now retired?
It appears that he was last active on this site in April 2024.

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
Re: clutch basket mods
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 12:08:58 »
Isn't the latest solution to chudder to fit the basket from the 1050?

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 13:27:34 »
I have closed down my vibefreev website but certainly not anounced retirement. See the email response sent to enquiries for SV, DL, KLV 1000 and 1050 cc clutch basket modifications.

"Thank you for your interest.

The very latest clutch basket for 2020 year and onwards for the VStrom1050 includes changes similar to my modification. These will prevent the old problems rearing their heads. My advice for the last few years has been to fit this in all SV, DL, KLV 1000 cc and 1050 cc engines. This basket fits all versions of the 1000 and 1050 engines right back to the year 2002. It looks just the same from the outside but with all new springs, gear and casting along with the manufacturers changes inside will be better long term than rebuilding high mileage baskets.

The genuine Suzuki part I now recommend is 21200-31Y20. It's available to order in all countries through genuine dealerships but they might not find it listed on their systems. Please don't be persuaded into fitting anything else."

Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 13:59:00 »
I'm interested to hear from owners of bikes with the new 800 parallel twin engines. Hired a couple of these recently on holiday abroad. Their clutches were excellent when taking off from rest and riding in any gear at any engine speed and fine if used for gearchanges rather than clutchless quick-shifter changes. But what I experienced when at idle with the gearbox in neutral and clutch lever released was not good. Vibration through the bike when waiting at a red light or taking a break from holding the lever in while waiting in traffic suggests the damping system at idle has prematurely weakened. Both engines as bad as each other with vibration and rattle that disappeared as soon as the clutch lever was pulled in. They had just over 5,000 miles on them from new. I can't say their life as hire bikes would make them more likely to suffer and owners and press would have picked up on this if they were like it from new.
Still have the old vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com email running.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 14:06:22 »
Good day John, good to hear that you are still monitoring this site.
I don't know whether you have had a chance to see the following post on Stromtrooper, https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/clutch-basket-upgrade.445362/?post_id=5731815#post-5731815 ?
Anyhow, I'll report back to them wrt your posted replies.
Thanks for replying to my query.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 17:03:52 »
Thank you for the link Gert. Not followed or contiributed there for many, many years. Changing the title of all my youtube contributions was a simple and easy way to inform the world that the new basket was the way ahead.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 19:37:05 »
Thank you for the link Gert. Not followed or contiributed there for many, many years. Changing the title of all my youtube contributions was a simple and easy way to inform the world that the new basket was the way ahead.

In light of visiting stromtrooper just now I came back to edit this post but time to do so has expired.
From my visit I see werks aka realshelby had continued to offer to not only modify "upgrade" old baskets but also "upgrade" the brand new 2020 and onwards baskets right up until MAY 2024? Certainly they must have known no upgrade of any kind was required for at least two years prior to that - or even before?? For the last two years werks look to claim that an extra bearing they welded on reduced clutch drag. If the same as the failed werks baskets that used to come to me, I suggest owners have a check it's (welded on bearing that is) not now broken away and rattling away behind the oil pump drive gear!! Broken bits of bearing and weld dropping into the sump is not good.

Offline richlandrick

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 11:30:37 »
Terry and Werks Performance was IMO very close to a charlatan.  And Greywolf took the easy way out instead of dealing with who stole other the theft of other people's work, he simply said Terry is paying vendor and therefore he wins. 

His departure from Stromtrooper was as it it should be. Without fanfare and without the protection of being a paying vendor it included a degree of humiliation for past deeds. 

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 13:56:24 »
That's worrying to hear about the vibes on the new 800, I'll be interested to hear more reports on them.
Good to know about the 2020-on model 1050's though, I didn't know that they had updated clutch baskets that don't need modification.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 19:18:32 »
Having just bought the 800 I'm also interested but with only 1300 miles on it I've not noticed anything yet & it's as smooth as a smooth thing. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2024, 21:00:49 »
Please don't get me wrong, these 5000 mile examples were very smooth when you were riding. Just clattered  their clutches when idling in neutral with the lever released. Pull the clutch lever in enough to release the clutch and all went smooth and refined.

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2024, 05:18:44 »
Clattery clutches seems to be a thing with bikes with slipper clutches which are essential for use with a downshifter (up/down quick shifter).

As a side note I see that gen 3 Yamaha Tracer 9's have noisy and granny clutches, there's a bloke in North Notts taken to fixing them (I've ridden two gen 3 Tracer 9's, one was brand new, the other with 4k miles and a grabby clutch).

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 05:59:41 »
Had the Gen1 and now Gen2 DL1000 both of them have,/had clatter...for me it's a 'characteristic' of the bike/engine and not something I would spend my hard earnt trying to rectify.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2024, 10:02:48 »
I have the gen 2 2014 on and for me the clutch chudder just became to annoying at about the 30k miles mark so I had it modified.
It was super smooth after but now at 45k miles it's coming back a bit, nothing like before but not as smooth as first modified.