Author Topic: Carpuride W502  (Read 343 times)

Offline tomstc

• Bike: DL1050DE M3, Yamaha MT-01 2005
Carpuride W502
« on: July 11, 2024, 10:13:10 »
Hi All

Here is my review of the Capuride W502 which I think fits really well on the 1050 DE
Little Caveat on this, I was sent this for free to review after a negative comment I made on another popular Youtubers video. And I am actually very impressed by it. This is genuinely my view I have not been paid by capuride but they did send me the device for free

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Carpuride W502
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 16:05:28 »
What were the negatives that you wrote about before they bunged you a freebie?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 16:35:14 »
 lol
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline tomstc

• Bike: DL1050DE M3, Yamaha MT-01 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 14:36:07 »
I think I mentioned them
"negatives to me"

Are that I would usually find these a distraction and that it will only be used for navigation.
Also the bracket that comes with it is too cumbersome
They did give it to me for free, and I have given my personal opinion on it, for the money I think its a great device and suits the V-STROM well

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 14:53:44 »
I've had a look, and can't really see what it actually does. Must be missing the point, but it just looks like a screen mirroring device. Why would I want my phone's apps in front if me while riding? Not knocking it, just genuinely can't 'get' it.

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 17:09:46 »
I quite agree Rusty. I ride my bike to get away from all that crap. My headset is for navigation and emergency phone calls. I also turn off my data so I don't get e-mails from my bank saying "beware of scams".

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 17:29:53 »
Horses for courses though right?
I can imagine it being useful to have your phone visible if you commute or travel for work and even if you're away on a long tour and have family who may need to contact you. Also many people use Google Maps to navigate if it's just a case of getting from A to B and many of the Sat Nav companies have started branching out into app based solutions rather than dedicated hardware because they know full well most people already have a GPS enabled touch screen in their pocket and don't need another one just to run maps. The buttons intercom units are usually a bit of a twat to operate, perhaps it's less of a distraction to have a big answer/hangup/pause/mute etc button on a screen.
If, and I say IF, the above apllies to you, then a device like this allows you to have a bigger, more weatherproof and more glove compatible device permanently attached to the bike rather than risking your expensive smartphone in the elements (ruined iPhone cameras anyone) and also needing to take it on and off the bike every time you stop for fuel/piss/cake/alloftheabove.

Personally, I like having comms with my riding group and I like knowing my parents could get hold of me in an emergency.
I would however like to preview who is calling before picking up as I'm in no mood for a PPI claim half way round a haripin bend ;)

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 17:51:14 »
My Tom Tom displays the caller on screen and also has accept/reject capability, so no problem there. As you say, Rix. It's horses for courses. Not for me though. And as for the 7" version - they look ridiculous on a bike

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 19:32:10 »
I don't use a phone while driving/ riding. I am, in way, so important that anyone 'needs' me in a hurry. And anyway when I'm out, 'I'm out. I always drive / ride with a satnav on.  Me, being excessively dim witted, need the Sat Nav to remind me what speed limit I am in and to shout at me when I go over it.  I approve of any gizmo that anyone else finds useful. Reviews, even when impure, bring these items to our attention, to pick up, examine, put in our shopping list or leave in the 'forget it' box.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.