Author Topic: Mick & Deb's view of the 800RE  (Read 874 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Mick & Deb's view of the 800RE
« on: July 09, 2024, 16:12:49 »
My/our thoughts on the V-Strom 800RE.  (& a bit of a comparison to the 650)
Obviously you can read & view lots on information about the 800 but these are just our personal thoughts & observations after owning it for 3 weeks & 1000 miles.
After almost 11 years riding the V-Strom 650 (with Deb as pillion) & over 57000 miles we both thought it would be good to have a look at the 800.
The DE was quickly eliminated, not just the spoked, tubed wheels but also the height.
After much deliberation, questions asked, articles read & a few visits to the local dealer it was time for a test ride.  Thanks to Powerslide in Derby it was a very easy operation. On return we put our order in. Agreed the PX of the 650, confirmed all the accessories we wanted fitting, deposit paid & were told 2 weeks max. We got the call on the 13th day to say it was ready.
We were always happy with the 650, it was as much as we wanted, to do what we wanted to do. It was good enough for our 2 up riding & had plenty of room & comfort for us both. We did have to make a few modifications, of course, but it was pretty good from the off.  We were pretty sad to see it go.
The short ride home on the 800RE was soon to tell us a few things that might/will need changing for us, well, Deb in the main. The bike we took out on the test ride didn’t have a back box or panniers. Although we did sit on & ‘try for size’ a DE that did, for some reason it’s different. We knew that the Suzuki panniers sit a fair bit higher than the Givi we had on the 650 & had been concerned they would be interfering with Deb’s legs. Although they didn’t seem to on the DE they do on the RE. Also the back box is a problem. Never needing a back rest with the GIvi on the 650, the Suzuki box is higher & the hinges stick out more catching Deb in the ‘wrong part’ of her back. Also the pillion foot rests are also an inch or so higher causing more bend in Deb’s bad knee.  We are in the process of sorting these out, mainly hoping that getting the seat resculpted  & raised on the pillion part by an inch or so plus some form of backrest will sort it.
Of course, this may not occur with anyone else’s pillion nor will it matter if you ride solo, but I thought it worth noting. (Plus I believe Givi will be doing panniers & they sit lower but the off side one is contoured to fit around the exhaust & is smaller than the nearside too)
For me, the main problem is the usual buffeting & wind noise from the stock (touring) screen. Working on that too & it’s better than it was after lowering the screen & pushing the bottom out with 15mm nylon spacers but I’m sure I will get it even better.  The bars are a bit lower than I liked, so risers have been fitted. The footrests are also a bit higher than I’d like but unlike the 650 I can’t see how a lowering kit could be fitted, might have to live with that.
Initially, when we took the test bike out I thought I thought it felt lighter when pushing it around. Once I had all the hardware fitted I think it’s about the same as the 650, maybe a bit heavier to push around. However, once on the move that all goes & it rides & steers great, you don’t feel its weight at all. The seat height is also lower than the 650 & I can get both feet flat so that helps when coming to a standstill. (The Nitron shock I fitted added a little bit onto the 650’s height)
The suspension is great, well, compared to the 650. Obviously the upside down forks work better & the rear is better than the original 650’s.  Together they make the bike a very nice ride, even our potholed roads.
The brakes are also far better. I was never that unsatisfied with how the 650 brakes worked but there’s no comparison really. Front & rear are both excellent.
The engine is something else. It pulls well in all gears from pretty low RPM, & it’s far quicker than I think I would ever need. It’s as smooth as silk too, I can feel no vibrations at any revs. I don’t need to say too much about it as you can read plenty of articles telling you about it.
The quickshifter? I’ve never had a bike with one fitted so I doubt I’d have missed it if it wasn’t fitted to the 800, nor would I have it fitted as an extra …. but…..         
Is it necessary on this bike? No, I don’t think so.
Is it good fun? Yes, definitely.
Even Deb likes it because she doesn’t get that ‘changing gear feeling’.
Personally I liked the look of the 650  but I think the 800 looks better, well it does until you go round & look from the front. I don’t like the look of the headlight or the beak but I can’t see them when I’m sitting on it.
I’ve not ridden the bike at night yet so I can’t say what the headlight is like. There are reports it’s not great, but we’ll see (or maybe not, if those reports are true).
Are we missing the 650 now? No, not one bit! If you’re thinking of changing then go & test ride the 800, it is a great bike. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Mick & Deb's view of the 800RE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 16:28:23 »
Interesting. Engine sounds like good fun. Agreed on the Glee's brakes. Words like 'adequate' or 'sufficient' describe them, rather than 'excellent', 'powerful' etc.
Stick a picture up of the front pegs please, let's see how different they are. Give the bike to Mark at Cymarc for a week?
Screens. Always the bloody screens.
Have fun on the new toy, it'll be summer soon - maybe.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 16:53:30 »
Nice report Mick.
Feeling for Deb, that does look tight. Hopefully the seat will be the fix.
The picture of the front actually makes it look better than the others I've seen. Still looks better than a GS and from the side it's very 650 similar.
Upt.

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 17:19:50 »
Excellent report, I'm a bit scared to have a test ride..  might be expensive

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 17:52:31 »
Nice write up Mick. This is a bike am interested in. You could try moving the top box back an inch or so, I've done this before, you need to make up new longer supports for the top plate to move it back.
 Also try SW Motech adjustable footrest, expensive but comfortable and lower than the oe rests even on there higher setting. The 650 one's for the 1000 so they might fit the 800.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 17:58:21 »
Here you go Rusty. They do appear to be bolted to the frame but the n/s has the side stand on the same fixing so not sure a plate, as fitted to the 650, would be feasible, but I'm not a mechanical engineer.  :)
I was thinking of getting in contact with Cymarc to see if he'd make some stainless plates to fit  the area highlighted. As you can see the plastic ones are already marked!  ### He sells them for & I had them on the 650.
Plus, when the back rest arrives it may push Deb forward a bit & I'm thinking a plate, like he did for the 1000, to move the box back a bit might be necessary.   
PS cheers Porter you replied as I was typing the above
Mick

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 18:15:30 »
Nice review Mick, but not what I thought your view would be.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 18:21:24 »
Can't afford to buy breakfasts any more Martin, got to replenish the bank account!  :icon_wink:
Mick

Offline GreyOldGeezer

• Bike: 800 RE
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 18:26:39 »
Mick, great review and handy to have photos, where/what make are the crash bars you have fitted? I'm having trouble identifying a set that will fit the RE.

Offline Sir Trev

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 18:31:38 »
Crump - my test ride on a 800RE was very expensive but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how you've managed to get 1k miles on yours Mick - it hasn't stopped raining since I got mine...
We are the Goon Squad and we're coming to town - BEEP BEEP!

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2024, 19:11:49 »
GreyOldGeezer mine are Suzuki OEM. Silly money, but I thought they looked to give good protection. I believe Givi do them & check out SW-Motech.
Sir Trev, we just dried the gear out after every ride!  :rain: :whistle:   
Mick

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2024, 19:43:28 »
Super round up there Mick.  :thumb:

You've given me more info elsewhere about the height of the bike and I agree with the suggestion that a test ride could well be expensive.  :shock:

Perhaps contrary to you and Deb(s) our bike is not our investment in holidays, just an odd adventure a few times in the year. (Our long journeys to Strasbourg and Germany to visit two of our children are in the car for logistic reasons more than desire.) We camp for a few days usually with others about a days journey from home as our biking  fun.

We may well spend less money now on the 650 to bring it up to our current needs, lowering and better luggage but that does not mean I see that new bike alternative a very tempting proposition, in fact I'm disappointed I can't find bigger reasons to change.  :icon_no:

Enjoy your the RE, I am truly envious!  :icon_drool5:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 20:55:29 »
If anyone is looking for engine bars for the RE I have the Heed ones which work out a lot cheaper than the Suzuki ones which need you to add the accessory bar which on its own is over £300 !

On the issue that Mick is having with the top box I fitted the Givi rear rack kit to a Suzuki top plate which has the adjustability to be able to move it back and also makes it sit a bit higher allowing me to carry my Abus dee lock in the gap between the Givi plate and the Suzuki rack.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 21:06:03 »
Thanks for the pics, Mick. Left side looks busy. How are you going to get 'race shift' with that setup?  :grin:

Offline deecat

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 21:26:34 »

They do I have had mine on the 1000 ,650 ,1050 and now the 800 so getting my monies worth.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2024, 22:10:11 »
deecat, have you got a bit more info on the rack & back box set up please?
Was it all Givi, top plate & Givi top box, or have you managed to fit a Givi top plate & use the Suzuki top box somehow.
I have the Suzuki top box & buying a new Givi one is out of the question at the moment. ☺️
Mick

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2024, 11:23:50 »
Mick, here's wishing you and Debs many safe and happy miles on your new bike.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline deecat

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2024, 11:41:34 »
Mick, I have the Givi SR3125 rear rack kit to which I have fitted my old  genuine Suzuki ally top plate.
It fits our Givi bag or Top box so I am not 100 percent sure if Suzuki use the same mounts these days.

I wanted this as it has the support bars under it to fit to the frame to stiffen thing up in case we take the kitchen sink on holiday.
When I bought it I was surprised it was higher but the bonus for me is I can carry the dee lock under it.
I have also used the quick release give rails from my previous 1050 which needed a bit of modifying to fit.

For years the wife always wanted a top box on the bike but as we get older she has found it a bit more difficult to get off the bike after a few hours riding  and she now prefers the Givi laptop bag, which allows her to swing her leg over it to get on and off.
If you need any close up pictures of the rear carrier let me know.

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2024, 11:47:18 »
Great review Mick and it's good to read that you take Deb's view and needs for the new bike seriously too. After a test ride on an 800 some time ago I was smitten. It was better, much better than I expected and I couldn't really fault it, the only thing that stopped me buying one was the price. I was riding my DL650A at the time and decided to wait for a while and pick up a used 800 with all the extras that I wanted already fitted at a very good price.

A short time later I found a DL1000A 2014 fully kitted at a very fair price and bought it instead but one day I may still have an 800. Thanks again for your review and I look forward to future reports as to how it is to live with more long term.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2024, 19:55:42 »
deecat, yeah, some photos might give me an idea, but in the meantime here's what the present Suzuki one looks like, completely different to the Givi Monokey I had on the 650.
The Suzuki also has those extra support bars for the rear rack, you can see them to the left & right on the first photo.

Yeah, as we've 'aged' getting on & off the bike isn't quite as easy as it once was. Often after a good time in the saddle, once we come to a stop it's often necessary to sit for a few seconds & stretch the legs out a bit before any attempt to dismount is made!!   :old: lol
Mick