Author Topic: First bike trip  (Read 1168 times)

Offline DJR91

• Bike: DL650XT L7
First bike trip
« on: July 01, 2024, 16:15:04 »
Passed my test (DAS) a few weeks ago, got a V Strom 650.  Since then I've done lots of little rides and a few 3-4h rides.

I'm based in London, in a couple of weeks planning to head to the Peak District, stay overnight and come home the next day. Have planned my route, will be about 3h motorway and 3h fun roads each day. Have a big top box and an airbag that doubles as a backpack for luggage.

I know I'm likely to need a lot of breaks. Regular checks like tyre pressures, lube chain etc. before I set off. Any other riding or v-strom specific tips for my first longer bike trip? 

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: First bike trip
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 16:36:02 »
Firstly, enjoy it. I know that might sound daft but some folks worry so much about packing a spare something or other they forget what's important.
Do the simple things in advance, clean and anti fog visors/glasses etc. You won't need chain lube, spare oil etc but a small toolkit is nice to have.
Pack inside inner bags, this is so much easier when you arrive at the destination.
Don't be afraid of stopping, having a coffee, eating, fuelling etc. Never miss an opportunity for coffee, food and a pee. A rested mind is a safe mind.
Take your time, plan your route, make sure you've got recovery cover and.............enjoy.
Upt.

Offline chambersp1

• Bike: DL650 M0 2020
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 16:40:20 »
Take your time, enjoy the ride. Lower speeds make for less tiring riding, especially if new to distance riding.

Pack/dress for rain, hope for sun!

The 650 has a great tank range, especially when ridden modestly. So chances are you can do the ride to your location on a single tank. This means rest stops don’t have to be fuel stations.

In terms of the bike. As you already mentioned, check tyres, tread and pressure. Lube chain. A quick glance over using the POWDER list, (Petrol, Oil, Water, Drive (chain), Electrics, Rubber).

Check the oil level.

Have a good first ride out. You have a great bike for it!

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 17:20:19 »
As all the above , good advice.
I have got in the habit of checking I have my phone/ wallet and all my pockets done up after I change into second gear.
Bar that ...enjoy  :thumb:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 17:49:18 »
Pockets indeed, Nigel. I always keep the same things in the same pockets, makes it quick & easy to check. Buggers it up when you get a new jacket with Pockets in different places, though.

Enjoy your trip. If you remember, try and stop for a photo every now and then, I'm always so caught up with the riding I forget to stop and get pictures of where I've been

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 18:06:19 »
Have a good trip.
If you can, get off the motorway if you get chance. For example the A5 parallels the M1 for a decent distance. Easier to stop for coffee and buns, fuel, a photo, a wee in a bush, whatever. More interesting and probably not that much slower than the motorway.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 19:27:30 »
 "Any other riding or v-strom specific tips for my first longer bike trip?"

Stay two nights  :thumb:

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2024, 10:06:25 »
As others have said, keep track of time per stint and try to stop before you need to, tiredness adds up as the day goes on. Obvious things like making sure your phone will last a full day or having charging/battery banks available.
I found the best way to avoid the motorway miles between London and The Peaks was just to move here 😉.
Seriously though, enjoy the area, there are some great roads to discover. Everyone knows things like The Snake and Winnats but these get pretty clogged up with dawdling sightseers, try to get off the beaten track.

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2024, 22:12:15 »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned taking a puncture repair kit and a small compressor. I know from experience that when you need them, you REALLY need them.
In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2024, 06:36:31 »
But...xt wheels are tubed, so that adds more tools and the need for ability/knowledge to get a tyre off/on a rim when out in the wild.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2024, 07:38:00 »
"But...xt wheels are tubed" perhaps you meant the DE wheels are tubed or am I confused on this point?
I recall reading that some of the V-Strom models with tubed rims can be converted to tubless. Google OUTEX TUBELESS KIT by woodyswheelworks.

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2024, 08:56:14 »
Ah, I thought the L7 XT had spoked, tubed hoops.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2024, 09:18:28 »
Spoked but tubeless I think thanks to having those 'tricky to clean' centrally ridged rims.
As for punture repair kits, not a bad shout, I've never needed one but carry one anyway (Mine is Gear Gremlin and seems decent)
I'd opt for the good old sticky rope option over any of the fancy screw in plug types and the CO2 canisters will get you to the next petrol station if you don't have room for a compressor. The canisters are definitely the more expensive option but they do pack small, just remember to keep your gloves on if you ever need to use one of them else your hand will freeze to the canister ;)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2024, 09:27:45 »
The 650xt, 1000xt and 1050xt have spoked tubeless rims, the new 800de has tubes and the new 1050de has one of each! (I kid you not)
But yes a repair kit is a must, I have both the plug and the screw in type and a wee compressor that all fits below the seat. Plus a travel size chain lube spray, an EDZ bin bag type top (windproof) and a 36mm socket for the rear wheel.

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2024, 11:33:34 »
Cheers Porter, I didn't realise they were tubeless.

Offline DJR91

• Bike: DL650XT L7
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2024, 12:19:05 »
Thanks everyone for the great tips

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2024, 12:27:56 »
A decent little tool kit is also recommended - the Suzuki kit is OK to adjust the chain, but you'll struggle to do any roadside repairs with them.

I tend to have a small supply of nuts and bolts and some cable ties and fuses.
I've got it in an old pencil case and it lives under the seat.

I remember in a carpark in Oban myself and Locky going around and replacing bolts shaken loose on the highland roads. - Fairing frame and chain guard bolts the main ones, but we did replace a few fairing bolts.

Ride Coordinator

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2024, 12:47:07 »
All good advice. I'd suggest planning shorter days than you think you can do.

I rarely take anything with me tool wise and haven't had issues in 63,000 miles on the Strom - at least not one I could have fixed easy at the roadside.

I do think I ought to carry a tyre plug kit but never do. Touch wood I've never needed one - and would be gutted if I ended up at the side of the road stuck, though I do have breakdown cover... (used it once for none tyre issue).

I do carry a simple first aid kit and a helmet bag with a warning triangle printed on it in case of a breakdown.

Offline Kevrid

• VStrom = Vlad the strom one
  • Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 20:32:17 »
I’ve a 650 and have toured four times now around Scotland. September will be our biggest up to the top of Scotland. The 650 on tour gives amazing fuel range giving almost 70 mpg ridden a tad carefully. Enjoy your tour and worry not what you pack if you ain’t got it you won’t need it. Mine has a comfort seat which makes long rides a dream. Try avoid motorways unless you need them. Quieter roads mean lower speeds which means more relaxed riding which means more fun. Enjoy
The force is Strom in this one.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2024, 21:23:48 »
All the above makes good sense, but I would add to that. Try to avoid wearing a back pack,if you can. After 6 hours you may find it very tiring. Maybe try securing it to your passenger seat, being free to move around on the bike is more comfortable than having a heavy weight hanging off you.
Hope you really enjoy yourself.
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞