Author Topic: Gen 1 650 - best switched wire for aux lighting?  (Read 312 times)

Offline Gillie76

• Bike: DL650A K9
Gen 1 650 - best switched wire for aux lighting?
« on: June 29, 2024, 17:27:14 »
Received my AdventureTech aux lighting kit today. I've read up about places to connect the switched cable to, but just wondering from you friendly bunch which would be the easiest wire to tap in to and where it would be located? Many thanks ☺️

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Gen 1 650 - best switched wire for aux lighting?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 18:26:14 »
One of our members on here makes a fused relay box with four outlets, so plenty more scope for those extra electrical accessories.  :icon_wink:
It is plug & play into the rear brake light circuit, so very easy to fit.   
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36024.0
https://accessory-fusebox.co.uk/
It says £35 on the web link but I'm sure they're still £30 to members.
Message him if you want one.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 07:40:48 »
I'm not sure whether you intend running a relay for your aux lighting, or tee in to an existing lighting circuit or via the big pie aux fuse as recommended above.
A switched power source to trigger / operate a designated relay could be taken from either the hooter / horn feed or the rear brake connector.
You may want to run the trigger feed via a switch so that you can turn the aux lights off if necessary.

Offline Gillie76

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 09:29:50 »
Thanks Gert. I don't have an aux fuse box, but may consider that in the future. The light kit came with a pre-made wiring harness that comes with a relay, switch for the handlebars and a wire which runs from the switch which needs to be tapped into a keyed source. I never heard about the horn feed, which should be easier to locate than the brake light feed maybe. I'm going to tackle the job today so will see how it goes...🤞🙏😂

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 12:16:09 »
 Just remember that the horn is wired permanently to live(+) and is operated by the horn button making the circuit to earth(-).This won't be a problem as the relay will work by connecting the live permanently and connecting the negative to activate it.Not sure what bike Gillie has but this is how it is wired on my 650 L4.
Ian Mc.

Offline Gillie76

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 19:50:24 »
Cheers, I tried wiring switch to horn positive but that didn't work, so I just ran a longer wire right to the back and tapped into a wire heading to the rear cluster. Works all good now! 👍
Had a minor panic when I pulled the clutch lever in and full beam came on 😵‍💫 a quick search found the answer from the legend that is Greywolf...the clutch lever needs to be moved down so that it doesn't hit the "pass" button when pulled right in, doh  :dl_smiley_banghead:
Quick easy fix that 😂