Author Topic: Gearing up the 800 RE  (Read 1599 times)

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
Gearing up the 800 RE
« on: May 20, 2024, 18:15:37 »
I have been changing the rear sprocket on my 800RE to drop the revs down at the 70mph range as I am feeling a slight buzzing through the pegs and bars which goes away at higher speed.

I have worked on the gearing for the GSX-8-S  front 17teeth rear 47teeth,which has a 120 link chain.
The V-strom runs 17t/ 50t  126 link so going down on the rear should lower the revs at 70mph.
On checking the swingarm on both bikes is the same part number but the engine must be a touch more forward on the V-strom as at 17/47 this bike needs a 124 link chain, which brings it to the same adjuster mark as the standard set up.

My old chain tool wouldn't touch the soft link so I did it off the bike with a punch shaped like the rivet tool and just removed the rear wheel (take out the ABS sensor first) one of the link arm bolts and the shock lower bolt. This allowed me to remove the swingarm spindle and pull the arm back enough to thread the chain on.
I found this so easy that any chain swap in the future would be done this way.

I am hopping to try the bike out tomorrow or Saturday to see if it works for me.

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL800RE M4
Re: Gearing up the 800 RE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 22:20:41 »
Hi Deecat

I am having the same idea about raising the gearing on my 800RE and would like to use a 49T rear sprocket, and have looked around without any success, as yet.

If you know of someone who could supply me with a 49T sprocket please let me know.

I think for me a 47T sprocket would be too high, but do feel the bike is too low geared for my use, but I did enjoy last week in Scotland behaving like a looney (within my limits, which are pretty low) and managed 58-60mpg for the week.

Cheers
Crazyhorse

Offline deecat

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 22:43:13 »
I don't think I have seen a 49 tooth sprocket for our bike and I am not sure that you would notice much difference with one tooth less on the rear.

I did want the 47 tooth sprocket but they did not have one in stock so I went for the 46 t one. On a quick shake down run this morning the difference was when running in the bike in at 4,500 revs the speedo showed 58mph and now it is 68mph.

The bike has such good low down grunt that I couldn't notice any difference lower down ,I will try and get out on my own on Saturday, without the restrictor on the back to give it a better assessment.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 07:53:31 »
When I changed sprockets on my two 1st gen Wee, I referenced the info on https://www.gearingcommander.com

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 16:41:13 »
I take it the speedo runs for the front wheel abs sensor like my 2014 1000 then and not the gearbox output shaft like the older strom?
 I've  just seen on Ebay some dealers have the RE down to £8500, that has to be a bargain, not a penny off over here but that's typical of this place!

Offline deecat

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 21:22:46 »
Yes the speedo has not been affected by the gearing change,unlike other bikes I have had.

There are some good discounts around ,which does seem to happen to Suzuki's but I was happy to trade in the 1050 with a discount on some of the extras I wanted.

To compare the 1050 to the 800 I think the 1050 brakes are a bit sharper and the suspension a little bit plusher with more adjustment and there was also more room under the seat.
The 800 is not lacking in power is a more agile bike,easier to hold up and push around.
When on the 1050 with the wife on the back coming to a halt at a junction etc was sometimes quite daunting, but not on the 800 which must carry its weight lower down.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 22:53:58 »
Thanks deecat, it sounds an interesting bike, I will have a look at an RE next time I'm in the dealers. The only way to get a discount here is if Suzuki offers it.
  I had my first run out of the year last weekend and I couldn't believe how heavy and awkward my 1000 felt. Time for something smaller and lighter I think.
  Ps. I see someone on adventure forum has fitted EBC double H pads and says there a good improvement, same pads as in a GSX750S apparently.

Offline deecat

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 12:31:32 »
Thanks Porter,
I will have a look at them later, just been altering the Givi rails from the 1050 to fit the 800,as I did not like the new Givi rails which put the panniers past the exhaust. This makes them stick out another 75/80mm.I have cut off the lugs on the exhaust side and remounted/welded them 50mm lower which pushes the rail higher on the one side. The other side fits without issue on three points with just some alteration to the rear bracket and I have left it at the standard height for pillion access. The rails are quick release so I don't leave them on the bike.

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 20:58:39 »
Hi

Just letting you know I have just received my new 49T rear sprocket from Talon.

Will try a fit it tomorrow.

Cheers
Crazyhorse

Offline Gert

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 07:27:55 »
I trust that you have taken note of the current rpm and speed in a particular gear as a reference before the change over?
I think that a single tooth in either direction on the rear sprocket, would be difficult to detect any difference from that of the stock gearing. I'm guessing rpm wise, maybe 100 -150 rpm difference from stock gearing?
To me one tooth in front, which is similar to a three tooth change on the rear, would yeld a more noticable effect on the gearing vs that of a single tooth on the rear sprocket.
Either way, I'd like to hear how you find this change.

Offline deecat

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 11:21:23 »
Of all the bikes I have had in the past I have always gone down on the gearing which for cost purposes has been one less tooth on the drive sprocket.
The 800 is the only bike that I have had that I felt that it needed to have the gearing raised but there is not enough space to fit a larger front sprocket so the smaller rear was the only option.

I had the chance to get a good long ride out on my own yesterday,so I left it in A mode which was a fun day out,this bike can shift,has good balance handling and comfort,it has been a while since I have been so happy with a bike.

One of the things that I missed from the 1050/650 is the space under the seat for my puncture kit and compressor but I have now solved this by removing the plastic holder for the Suzuki accessory socket, its tighter but all fits.

Offline Sir Trev

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 18:15:32 »
I've changed the gearing on two of my previous bikes. GSX-F650 (Bandit with full fairing) was geared up via the front, making it a lot smoother and calmer. On the other hand my Trumpet T100 was geared down, as it was so sluggish all the time. I went with one more tooth on the back and it was much nicer to ride. Had I kept it and not chopped it in for the 800RE I may have gone up one more tooth again.

Will see how I settle in with the RE before I consider any changes, especially as I'm being good in mode B while I run it in for now.
We are the Goon Squad and we're coming to town - BEEP BEEP!

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 21:37:01 »
Hello

Fitted the new 49T sprocket this evening and hopefully will get out tomorrow to give it a run out.

Have taken readings rev/speed to see what if at all has changed and how the bike feels to "me"!

Still having lots of fun.

Crazyhorse

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2024, 15:02:54 »
Hi

I have had a couple of days away on the bike, doing family things, but evaluating the bikes new gearing and can say its not for me!

I gave it over 750 miles in testing, and found that the bike, in my opinion, seems to be missing its zest/fun factor etc, so will be going back to the standard 50T sprocket in a couple of weeks when I change the tyres.

If anyone would like to buy the 49T sprocket (hardly used) for a reasonable sum get in touch!

Cheers
Crazyhorse

Offline Gert

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2024, 07:22:03 »
As a matter of interest, how much rpm difference did you notice in sprocket change? Would the 49T sprocket be more suitable option for frequent super slab / highway travel?

I would recommend for more pep, to try one tooth smaller on the front sprocket while retaining the stock 50T rear sprocket.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2024, 11:58:38 »
I think I have gone up one tooth on the front of the 650 for a while now to smooth out the rpms at normal cruising speed.
I think I read people saying it made the bike less torquey low down but I have never noticed much difference if any.
The great thing about a chain driven bike is that you can modify the gearing to suit.

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2024, 22:49:01 »
Hi

Regarding the RPM difference it only seemed to be around just less than 200, at an indicated 70mph.

At the said indicated 70mph the RPM was approx. 5K, and at those revs the bike pulls well using this raised gearing.

But your only at those sort of speeds/revs a small percentage of your riding time, and below those revs in my mind the bike felt listless and flat!

I hope this makes sense, as I only use my bike for fun, and have not commuted for over 20 years now, as fully retired, and approaching my 76 birthday.

I would not like to lower the gearing on this machine, I only lowered the gearing on my K8 DL1000 as this bike was over geared from the start, and I put over 40k miles on it before getting my L2 650, and that bike it still running sweetly with over 140k miles on it, with its new owner.

Keep having fun.

Regards
Crazhorse

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2024, 16:51:38 »
Hi

I have re-evaluated my use of the 49T sprocket I fitted in late June, and initially did not like/take to, but after trips away riding, I have concluded that overall its a good move.

Even to the point of ordering a 48T sprocket, which has not arrived as yet.

I have a Swiss trip coming up and would like the sprocket before that to give it a thorough test.
I will let you know.

Crazyhorse

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2024, 10:50:05 »
Hi

Further to my evaluation of the fitted 49t rear sprocket, and after returning from France/Switzerland including many passes and chasing a 1250GS and a Ducati V4 Rally, the RE did very well on this slightly raised gearing.

So well in fact, that the 48T sprocket will be fitted this week for an upcoming trip in the UK, and the evaluation will continue!

Loadsa fun!!!

Cheers
Crazyhorse

Offline Gert

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2024, 07:27:36 »
It is my understanding that the 800 uses thae same front sprocket shaft dimensions as the DL50 and DL1000.  From what I have gleened, is that one tooth increase on the front sprocket is the same as / equivalent to three theeth reduction on the rear sprocket.
If you do eventually decide to try a 47T rear sprocket, maybe it would be more cost effective to consider going to a 18T front sprocket. I'm not sure how much clearance one has on the 800 to fit a larger front sprocket, but I would estimate that a larger front sprocket would cost less than a 47 tooth rear sprocket.
It is sad that the 800's rear sprocket mounting bolt spacing is a different size to that of the DL650 and DL1000.