Author Topic: Charging socket and portable compressor DL650XT  (Read 519 times)

Offline davecamb

• Bike: DL650XT, 650Transalp
Charging socket and portable compressor DL650XT
« on: December 30, 2023, 01:11:23 »
I have a small 20L/min compressor with cigarette lighter plug. Can I use it through the charging socket? Handbook says use socket for mobile phones only.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
Re: Charging socket and portable compressor DL650XT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 06:27:47 »
In my own personal experience the answer is no. I tried it once and it blew the fuse. I now have a fused charging socket connected directly to the battery under my seat.
Others on here know more about the wizardry and pixie dust that make it all work so that is my tuppence  :)
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 06:51:10 »
To me, the harness wiring thinkness / wire gauge that leads to the socket plus the circuit 3A fuse is too light to handle the amps drawn by your compressor.   If you simply install a higher amperage fuse, the wiring may over-heat and end up causing a fire if the fuse holds out or even cause the surounding harness insultation to melt thereby causing unwanted problems.
Homesley is correct with his advice to power your compressor directly from the battery.
Perhaps you should connect an aftermarket cigarette lighter female socket to your battery for this purpose. Ensure that the add-on socket is fused and connected to the correct polarity.
When the socket is not in use, it can be tucked under the seat or you can mount the socket in a location of your own choosing, for easier access.  If you do mount the socket in a location other than under the seat, make sure that the socket can be protected from weather conditions when not in use.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 08:34:31 »
I’ve got one of these, never used it in anger. However, checking the information it appears to have a 10amp draw.

https://airman-uk.com/product/tour-compressor/

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 09:39:16 »
Urm no.

The standard accessory sockets on bikes are rated at 1amp maybe 2amp max.
they are meant for charging phones & sat navs.

A normal mini compressor will draw somewhere in the region of 7-9amp so your 1amp fuse would quickly blow.
for a 1amp fuse the wiring will be rated to 2-3amp so fitting a 10amp fuse will likely result in overheating the socket wiring a possibly start a fire.
Sorry to be dramatic but some people think the fuse is there to protect you, where in fact it's there to protect the wiring. - Suzuki's wiring is also not the best to be adding more than recommended amps through- I think I had to rewire half the sodding K6 Wee I had.

I cut the 12v lighter plug off my mini compressor  (is an airman like the link above)  when I removed the casing to make it fit under the seat on the Varadero and fitted croc clips. As I need to remove the seat to access the compressor anyway it' not an inconvenience to hook it up to the battery direct.
I do have another compressor I keep in the garage and run that through a socket I fitted on the dash with a 10amp fuse and suitable wiring direct to the battery.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 11:08:48 »
Here's an alternative - cut the cig plug off and use a croc clips on the compressor cable, that way you don't need to rely on a socket and the compressor could easily be used by anyone else requiring it at the roadside off their own battery.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 11:46:58 »
I have a marine rated cigarette type socket wired direct to the battery, saves blowing the fuse on the dash mounted one.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 14:15:21 »

“ use croc clips on the compressor cable“
      That’s exactly what I do.
Ian Mc.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 20:10:34 »
Yep, croc clips onto the compressor lead, or get a conversion cable from your battery tender cable to cig lighter socket (and then use that).

Someone was selling the receiving end for the oximiser cables on eBay but they appear to have gone, I was going to make my own adapter leads! (Here's to 2 hours being lost in the CPC and Rapid Electronics catalogue...)9

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 21:29:29 »
After just over an hour, I think they're known as a "Tamiya" connector (the normal one, not the mini). There's a shop on eBay selling the connectors for just over a quid a pop from the UK, so I've ordered a few and will make a few adapter leads for my bike :thumb: