Author Topic: Diagnostic tool for Suzuki bikes  (Read 908 times)

Offline baz-r

• Bike: DL250A 18
Diagnostic tool for Suzuki bikes
« on: November 14, 2023, 15:11:11 »
Thought I would start a thread to talk diagnostics accross all models and years of V-stroms

OK some of you lot might be well aware of dealer mode - a switch and connector that shorts 2 pins on the diagnostic plug to give you basic codes and setup like TPS on some models

Different years and models have different connectors and I see on my DL250A there's a separate diag plug for the ABS next to the ECU one

Now to go over the basic generally you need to go down the route of handheld plug in or PC adapter I see in the manual for my bike to carry out the throttle ballance on the 9k service I have to disable the idle control plus I can't read or clear fault history without a diagnostic tool of some kind. I'm seeing Healtec do a Suzuki PC adapter and software that is a bit over 100 quid depending on where you buy and on Google and Ebay is throwing up 6pin to OBD (std car) adapter cables but I'm not sure what software you would use anyone have any info on any Suzuki diagnostic stuff?

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Diagnostic tool for Suzuki bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 18:45:33 »
I for one would welcome some help in this department.
Talk of OBDs, even after doing some( a little ) research has left me scratching my head and getting splinters.
My only dabble with this was on my FZ1 Fazer,but that was easy. You could put the dash into diagnostic mode by pressing the right buttons and all the info/adjustments/codes came up on the screen, nothing else needed.
So any advice/simple directions would be a  great help for those in need of some learning.

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 11:21:58 »
With this question cropping up I emailed the Healtech UK distributor yesterday and asked them whether their unit replicated the functionality of the Suzuki Dealer Tool (not just fault code reading/clearing) I.e. locking the Idle Speed Control Valve for throttle body sync check/balancing and holding the ABS pump open to purge it of brake fluid during a brake fluid change.

On my gen 2 1000 I bled the brakes then went out and got the ABS to operate (convenient patch of gravel) to purge the pump and then bled them again, this was on the advice of the local Suzuki dealer.

I'm not near the throttle sync check mileage yet but it would be good to know whether all service functions that you'd otherwise have to skip, can be carried out by the home mechanic.

Keep you posted on their reply.

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 17:25:57 »
Further to my post above, Healtech UK responded this afternoon and whilst didn't answer the questions relating to ABS pump and ISC Valve, they did suggest looking at the Healtech website and provided a link.

I downloaded the software for their OBD tool and yes, it looks as if you can operate the ABS pump and lock the ISC valve.

Download the software for yourself and have a look at what the OBD tool can do.

I may invest next year.

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 12:03:44 »
I am selling a Suzuki diagnostic kit on ebay - 276165442377
This is a copy of the Healtech so must not be updated but covers upto the 2018 DL's - with the white dealer switch.

I used it annually for balancing the cylinders and when I bled the brakes
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 02:10:44 »
At least on the Gen 3 650s (2017+), you can use a 6 pin Suzuki to OBD adapter cable, and then use a standard OBDII adapter. I've got a cheapy bluetooth ELM327 clone under the seat. Clearing codes works, but you seem to need the ignition on, some need engine running, and some need the engine started then stopped to clear.

To perform ABS service functions and other things, you need the Suzuki Diagnostic System II. I did try with a cheap vehicle interface but had no joy.