Author Topic: Clutch lever  (Read 752 times)

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
Clutch lever
« on: November 08, 2023, 13:56:32 »
Hi

I know this topic has been around before but I can’t find any outcomes.

Has anyone fitted an adjustable clutch lever to a gen 2 bike.

I have bad arthritis in my left wrist and thumb and it is getting difficult and painful to operate the clutch.

Just fitted a Venhill Slinky cable helped a bit but not much.

Any info or links would be fab, this is a bit of a last resort hope for me now or it is a DCT calling.

Cheers

Ian

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Clutch lever
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 22:33:00 »
DCT might be the answer in your situation, or maybe a new 800re with the quickshifter :)

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 22:50:18 »
Had these on a few of my vstroms, good quality I think. They do a longer version.
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 23:11:49 »
I see at the EICMA bike show Honda launched an E clutch equipped CB650f. The bike still has a clutch lever but you don't have to use it, the bike can do it, you just change gears, up or down. Not my sort of bike but that is interesting for someone with bad wrist problems like you and me also. I'll keep an eye on that and see if it comes on a more suitable bike in the next few years.
I hate to be negative but I've tried a few different levers and nothing made a difference for me. The 1000 vstrom is worse as there's a lot more clutch work in traffic etc than the 650.
 A weight lifters type wrist strap can help as long as your jacket cuff and glove have room for it.

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 08:22:48 »
Thanks everyone

I had a horrible feeling that it would go this way, I think my clutch time is nearing the end. The arthritis is getting worse and grip strength is poor.

I had a little ride out on a Royal Enfield Interceptor and a Classic 350 the other day as I heard that they had light clutches, and they were a little lighter but still hurt after a mile or so, lovely bikes they were though.

So I think it is a Honda NC750X DCT for me, mind you I was also reading yesterday about the two new models that will have that electronic clutch, and that does look interesting.

I am giving myself until next March to choose a bike and order it up for the 1st. Most probably my last bike so she says I can treat me self to a new one.  :lala: :lala:

The two models they are saying that will have the e clutch don’t float me boat much but I will have another good look but the NC750X don’t look too bad.

It is a shame though I have had my bike since 2014 and it has taken me on many a European and home jaunty, never missed a beat. Love it but as the old something or other always says. Old gits just get older.

Thanks for the replies they were extremely helpful in making my mind up.

Cheers

Ian

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 14:13:31 »
Am pleased you're adapting to keep on two wheels.
Good luck with the test rides and keep us posted what you end up with   :thumb:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 07:00:46 »
Honda had a CB650 at Eicma that has some sort of automatic clutch, not the DCT.

Not the prettiest bit of kit I have seen, but it being Honda, the potential is there.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 18:19:53 »
Ian, have you considered trying one of the "easy clutch" devices? Just out of curiosity (and thinking about the fact someone surely has made a device like this) I googled it and they do make them. Presumably they're just a box with a mechanism with a long lever or gears inside that you pull, which uses mechanical advantage to make your lever lighter.

I bet there are more places than this that do them, but these were top of the search list. I do not know if these will 100% fit a V-Strom 650, but they may, and may be worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNDELY%C2%AE-Clutch-System-Universal-Motorcycle-Black/dp/B07MMSYZCM

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/products/apico-universal-3-way-easy-clutch