Author Topic: Clutch adjustment  (Read 449 times)

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
Clutch adjustment
« on: October 15, 2023, 17:17:29 »
Help me I’m going nuts.

I put a new clutch cable in this morning, old one in 10 years so I thought why not. God I wish I hadn’t.

I checked the lengths of both the inner and outer against the original and they were the same so I popped it on.

There the fun ended, no matter what I do I just can’t set the damn clutch properly.

The closest I have come is free play correct but the clutch bite is only about half an inch from the bar, so that is with the lever nearly fully pulled in. Obviously this is not the best, I would like it much nearer the other end.

I just can’t do it. I have I think tried every permutation of adjustment of the in-cable barrel adjuster and the one at the lever end.

Can anyone help please, is there some sort of idiots starting point by that I mean what adjustment on each adjuster if that makes any sense. 

With both adjusters slack there is free play at the actuator end, is this correct or should the actuator just be pulled up snug by the bottom end of the cable or should it be pulled in more, perhaps it is this end I am getting wrong.

It just seems that there is no way I can do it.

Offline Valzdl650

• DL650 Paderborn germany
  • Bike: DL650 K5
Re: Clutch adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 17:29:43 »
It’s the newer model put same method this helped mehttps://youtu.be/rx-74e7D_Yk?si=CTGuCJuYJCnK5zW4

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 18:13:03 »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rx-74e7D_Yk?si=QVfLHEHICBNLIxkm" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 18:59:52 »
    Adjust the engine end adjuster until you have NO freeplay on the lever,then slacken just a touch until you have a tiny amount of freeplay at the lever,don’t worry about it being too tight as the clearance gets slightly more as the engine warms up,( different expansion rates between the crankcase and the clutch pushrod).
   BTW,leave plenty of adjustment on the handlebar end adjuster as you will have to take freeplay up as the cable settles in.
Ian Mc.

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 09:35:38 »
Thank you everyone for your pointers and advice.

I’ve done it now, I hope.

I think I’m just a nob.

Cheers

Ian