Author Topic: Found a stray wire under the seat  (Read 553 times)

Offline Aberdeen lad

• Bike: DL650XT L6
Found a stray wire under the seat
« on: September 29, 2023, 20:06:31 »
Hi gents there’s this stray wire under my seat and wondered since I’ve had the bike what it’s, for pretty sure it’s some kind of earth wire as it’s attached to the frame but the other end isn’t attached to anything?
Chris.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Found a stray wire under the seat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 21:52:10 »
That's not stock. I'd suggest a previous owner added it and has since removed whatever it was attached to. Think I'd remove it

Offline Aberdeen lad

• Bike: DL650XT L6
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 21:55:01 »
That's not stock. I'd suggest a previous owner added it and has since removed whatever it was attached to. Think I'd remove it
That’s what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure before I removed it thanks mate 👍

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 07:14:52 »
Not sure why anyone would attempt to pick up an earth / ground by taking a connection off a bolt on the frame.
Advice on many sites is that there is a possibility of electrolytic corrosion where the steel is bolted to the aluminum, an electrolyte is present (moisture will do), and current flows. There is also the likelihood of a less than perfect electrical connection where the frames are bolted together resulting in a failed circuit.
If an earth / ground connection is required, its best practice to directly connect to the battery negative teminal, or a bolt located on the engine or to tap into an existing earth ground lead.
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=27738.0