Author Topic: fuel pump not working when ignition turned on, is this a clutch switch problem,  (Read 493 times)

Offline rob barnes

• Bike: suzuki vee strom 650
I've been on before asking about this problem, but still no luck somebody I spoke to said it could be the early clutch switches can cause this problem wondering whether this has happened to anyone else on this site.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
It could also be the side stand switch. I'm assuming you have checked the kill switch (it happens)?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Quite a few things can cause this issue.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm /immobiliser...?

Sometimes they are wired into the fuel pump to disable the bike .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Also check the alarm harness plug if your bike has one. If you put your model / year of bike in your profile or posts we can help you :) The alarm harness plug will be some wires that end in a seemingly blank plug, but if you take off the cap, you'll see two shorting links inside it.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Also check that the kill / engine stop switch has not been accidently activated. Make sure that it is in the run position.  Normally if the kill switch is activated, there should be a CHEC displayed on the gauges along with a full temperature and fuel gauge indication.

Is the fuel pump relay activating?

If the side stand is down, make sure that the bike is out of gear. While this will not stop the fuel pump from primming but it will stop the starter solenoid from operating.