Author Topic: Spoked wheels a good choice?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Robi55

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 900
Spoked wheels a good choice?
« on: August 15, 2023, 15:53:37 »
Hi All
A prosective owner here seriously considering a move to a 650 vStrom, and am attracted to the XT with handguards, lower cowling etc, but have concerns over the spoked wheels. They look cool and are claimed to improve ride quality but would really like to hear from owners re maintenance, especially preventing corrosion. Cleaning /protecting them looks like it could a right ar*e ache. Is it, and do they need special attention?

Offline Dr Evil

• Bike: 2018 DL1000 XT, 2000 GSX750F, 2001 Suzuki DRZ400
Re: Spoked wheels a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 18:29:11 »
I've got spoked wheels on my 2018 XT1000 and have had no probs with them at all, but I tend to ride my bike and not sit and look at it. It gets a clean once a year by my valeter who does a cracking job, he cleans them with a tooth brushe, then sprays on a protective coating. My bike is kept outside and is used in all weathers,so if you like the look of the spoked wheels, which I do, get them.
Just ride it.
Santa Claus faced grumpy old bastard !

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 19:35:33 »
If you like your bike to look pristine then they will be a real pain if like Dr Evil said just ride and enjoy then there's no problem.
I've just sold my 1050xt and was glad to see the back of them as I liked them shiny, I used to clean them with autosolve. I recently seen a 1050xt for sale in my dealers show room and the spokes were in a right state and to my eye made the whole bike look crap. I was trying to avoid the xt when I bought my 1050 but in lockdown one came up brand new for £8999, I think  they were getting desperate for a sale. 
Good luck with your choice.
Oldleathers.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 19:40:58 »
They will corrode in front of your very eyes. They need adjusting and can break easily if you go on the bumpy stuff.  I had spokes on my Africa Twin and had three sets of wheels (under warranty) in 18 months due to corroded spokes. I say corroded, it seems that the vibration loosened the (galv?) finish and water got underneath.

I now have a Tenere 700, the spokes on that looked bad after a matter of weeks from new.

I will probably pay to have it respoked in stainless but that doesn't take away the maintenance.

I would have cast wheels on any bike if it was an option.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Robi55

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 20:02:44 »
Thanks all for the replies.  Sure I like to ride, year round about 5k a year Inc. commuting and short tours but yes, I do like my bikes to stay looking good. I've never owned a spoked bike, so looks like a standard bike and spec up with accessories might be the way to go. Better colours on the Xt, but guess I can't have everything!

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 21:56:57 »
I’ve got the 1050 XT. I’ve never had a bike with spoked wheels and was a little concerned.

However, after talking to the mechanic at the Suzuki dealership, who maintained our previous bikes for a number of years before they became a Suzuki dealership, I’m happy to have the spoked wheels.

Yes, more time needed to clean them, but not enough to put me off. I find a babies bottle brush with muc off, pre washing the bike, works a treat.👍

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 23:05:46 »
I'm not a spokes fan. Lots of adventure bikes go for them cos it looks off-roady and sells more bikes. Well done Suzuki for having a solid wheel alternative albeit without some of the nice extras on the XT. I've had 3 spoked wheel bikes over the years and finally cracked how to stop them corroding on the last one - plaster with any oily stuff throughout the winter. Trouble is they look filthy and take a hell of a lot of cleaning in the Spring - I did not - just left them grubby. Mind, my solid wheels on the 1050 are grubby. I suppose as long as there is no rust, I'm not too fussy about looks and anyway I'm a rider not a cleaner :smirk: The main downside  tubed tyres but with the double flanges invented by BMW you get tubeless. There is a lot of cock talked about adventure bikes - most never see adventure and certainly no mud, although some do. If it's the 'look' you fancy then spokes will probably impress non-bikers and if you want to look like a BMW or Triumph but pay Jap prices the XT is a shrewd buy (and probably as good a bike if truth were told). Get used to cleaning though  :angry-banghead:

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 05:35:24 »
If you are going to take it to seriously knarly off road tracks go spoked.
If just occasional dusty track go cast.
The "a" model 650 is 2 kilos lighter than the xt and lighter wheels is part of the reason.Racers pay a lot of money to have lighter wheels for good reason,less unsprung weight means better handling and acceleration.
Can't find it now but there was a you tube vid from a bunch touring about on borrowed stroms and they noticed the cast wheel model always won the roll on test no matter who was riding.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 07:01:53 »
I am absolutely staggered by the posts from people saying they have never owned a bike with spoked wheels.

I started riding in 1975 on a moped with spoked wheels. In 1976 I got a Royal Enfield 250 with... spoked wheels, passed my test and got a 1970 Triumph 500 with ... then got a 1969 Triumph Bonneville with, then a near new 850 Commando with... I even ditched the CMA alloy wheels off my Laverda after getting and rebuilding an original set of alloy wheels with....

My VStrom 650 is the first bike I have ever had with alloy wheels and I HATE cleaning them.

Fortunately the Triumph T140 I'm building has spoked wheels, mind when I got the pile of bits that I am returning to the road, it came with some Lester Alloy wheels that I rejected... yeah, at £600 each these days that weren't a smart move, but at least I have cool looking spoked wheels on the bike.

Spoked wheels are an utter PIA to keep properly clean, but they do make a bike look ... proper.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 07:23:34 »
I owned a push bike with spoked wheels.🤣

All my bikes have been Japanese and not a spoke in sight until I got my Vstrom.

I was late into bikes compared to most, starting in the late 1980’s. Since then, I’ve owner or had access to various Honda’s, Kawasaki’s, Yamaha’s and Suzuki’s. CG 125, Z400J, couple of CBF600’s, CBF1000FAB, Fazer 1000 (favourite bike), GS500, couple of Bandit 600’s, Bandit 650……not a spoke between them.

Are cast wheels easier to look after?……of course they are.

I really don’t mind cleaning my bike. I use it and I enjoy looking after it.👍

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 08:40:43 »
 Go cast, they are easier to clean and the bikes they come on or cheaper to buy, two good  enough reason for me!

Offline Robi55

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 10:05:40 »
I am absolutely staggered by the posts from people saying they have never owned a bike with spoked wheels.

I think I said that, but truth is I can't remember. My first bike was a Suzuki A100 followed by an "upgrade" to a Suzuki GP100. Did either of those have spokes....I can't recall. But I can remember the back garden being engulfed in two stroke smoke every tiime I started it.  :grin: and it might just be that because my first two bikes were Suzukis, I retain an odd affiliation to the brand.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 00:05:40 »
Cars used to have spoked wheels. They don’t now. I wonder why?Unless you intend going full on offroad and getting air then they are not necessary.

Offline Tomfum

• Bike: Suzuki v strom
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 18:41:16 »
CAST 👍

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 22:23:28 »
 Another vote for cast. I liked the look of spokes on my XT, but have gone for the standard new 1050 and prefer the black cast wheels.  Knocked  at least an hour off of the cleaning time.

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 14:37:01 »
My previous DL650 was the XT, complete with spokes.......because I didn't like the look of the 3 'spoke' cast wheels on the standard V Strom at that time. The newer standard bike has a much better looking cast wheel, IMO, so no need for the XT and its spokes. Just my view!