Author Topic: A bit boggy at pulling off  (Read 557 times)

Offline Aberdeen lad

• Bike: DL650XT L6
A bit boggy at pulling off
« on: August 14, 2023, 20:38:14 »
As a new v-strom rider I’ve noticed if I want to just take it easy, like pulling away or going around a small tight roundabout the bike doesn’t like it especially if I have a pillion it caught me out tonight when I was pulling away and turning at same time when I had my son on the back I obviously didn’t want pull away too quick and it stalled on me and we we’re almost over but caught it on time, but I’ve noticed even when it’s just me on it when at slow speed having to keep the revs up as it likes to lurch perhaps there’s a custom tune I can get to sort it out anyone else find this or is it just me not totally used to the bike yet.
Chris.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: A bit boggy at pulling off
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 20:42:49 »
   Check the T.P.S.(throttle position switch ) is set up correctly.Someone will be along soon with a link to how to do it.
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 21:14:52 »
Plenty of reading about it here.......
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=search2
Just put 'TPS adjustment' in the search box

Just a note to say the adjustment is very sensitive, it needs the slightest movement to adjust & the slightest movement will send it out! When I did mine it took a few goes because even tightening the screw (torx) put it out 3/4 times.
I don't know about the later models but on my gen2 I could reach the TPS without taking anything off.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Aberdeen lad

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 21:29:11 »
Thanks Mick I’ll read it just now see if it’s something I can do, pretty sure mines is a gen 2 as well I’ll bear in mind the sensitivity 👍

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 22:16:38 »
What year/ model do you have?
My 2018 SV could pull away on tickover with my right hand off the throttle. A marvelous system that I think was also fitted to later DLs
That said I've had a few stroms and the 650's never stalled so maybe you do have a technical problem. Good luck sorting it out.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Aberdeen lad

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 22:49:23 »
Hi Brockett it’s a 2016 650 xt I just find when am closing off the throttle it bogs right down immediately where my lurches forward and if am tipy toeing about like a tight u-turn it doesn’t like it much I can work through all of it with clutch control and on & off throttle if that all makes sense

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 07:51:00 »
A few questions, if you don't mind:
1) what are the rpms at take off, when this stumble occurs?
2) where is the clutch lever bite / engagement point? (aka how close to the handlebar)
3) are you slipping the clutch at tim of the stumble?
4) how tight is the throttle cables? Any free play on the throttle grip?
5) Are the sprockets at stock size or are you running taller gearing?
6) what is the condition of the air filter? (aka is the engine breathing OK)
7) Any play on the rear sprocket? (aka cush rubber flex)
8) have you checked for possible brake dragging / binding?

Online Woodyflyer

• Bike: L5 Glee, Bandit 1200, Burgman 650. 1050 RR
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 08:31:46 »
Aberdeen Lad
I've a 2015 650, when pulling away I need to increase the revs otherwise it easily stalls , something you get used too.
Newer models are fitted with Low-RPM Assist as standard to increase the revs as you pull away , a dealer said it was added to prevent stalling as it was a issue for some people ???

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 09:57:00 »
I would concur with the deduction that the TPS is out of correct range.

When you do a TPS adjustment make sure the engine is fully warmed up before you start.

Ride Coordinator

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 06:32:28 »
Aberdeen lad
Probably best to check TPS as others have said.
My ' 22 does lurch slightly on and off the throttle in first and second but is normal for a vtwin with a lot of engine braking.As you say feathering the clutch and back brake helps as does not shutting throttle with a snap.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 23:34:44 »
My 2017 does a bit lurchy just at throttle opening too, but I thought this was partly my sticky throttle body, and also the Suzuki low rpm assist kicking in.

My fix for this in the mean time is to rev it higher and just slip the clutch more  :happydance:

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 08:35:44 »
There are various techniques here. I had a Defender TD5 with a basic anti stall system. The trick when moving off, even on a hill, was to engage the clutch with no throttle and only once moving apply throttle. Otherwise it would kangaroo.
My Skoda with DSG gearbox is similar, get it rolling at idle ........ inches is all that's necessary to engage the wet multiplate clutch then apply throttle.
I also do the same on my 2016 650 engage clutch on idle and only then accelerate. To me it is a smooth and mechanically sympathetic way of driving and just as quick as any other technique ..... dumping the clutch at 5000rpm might be quicker, but this old codger couldn't bear to do that!
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"