Author Topic: Hill Hold Issue  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Paul O Connor

• Bike: DL1050XT M0
Hill Hold Issue
« on: July 18, 2023, 08:34:25 »
Hi blokes,
I have a 2020 DL1050XT. last week while out and about I got an F1, Hill fault, showing on the display. Bike still rides and drives OK. Manual just tells me that this is an issue with the Hill Hold system. I have done a visual check and can't find anything amiss.

Has anyone come across this issue before is there a quick fix or do I have to bring it to a dealer?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Paul.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Hill Hold Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 11:38:37 »
I'm presuming here that the newer bikes, including the 2020 are the same, as in, the FI means Fault Indication (or similar) & the bike needs to be put into dealer mode to read the code for the fault. Have a read of this link. https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html
Once you have the fault code check the list & go from there.
It does tell you in the link that if it's intermittent then you can ride the bike in dealer mode or take a spare key with you to remove the seat without turning the ignition off.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Paul O Connor

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 13:02:08 »
Thanks Mick, the fault is showing as a Hill Hold fault. I am wondering if anyone has come across this before and if there is anything on the bike that I can check to resolve the issue without having too bring it to a dealer.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 13:04:48 »
Is there another updated list of codes then? As 'Hill Hold' doesn't show on any of the codes in the link I posted? Anyone know?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 13:53:50 »
Not come across this issue before ...

However, after some research there is an activation sequence that seems to rely on switches.

check your brake and clutch switches are functioning correctly 

Also , it should tell you it's activated on the screen

As said, not dabbled with this issue before so I maybe wrong ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Beemer6

• Bike: DL1000, GL1800
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 21:11:50 »
If it is a similar system to the latest Goldwing, a lot of the manual version have had this problem (including mine). The advice was to replace the clutch and cruise micro switches (left handlebar) which solved the issue on my bike. Some,apparently, have had those two switches and the front and rear brake micro switches replaced to solve the issue. Mine was out of warranty when it happened and cost me about £60 for the two switches but it did fix it. I've no idea why this is the case. Both switches worked OK independently but 3000 miles later the problem hasn't recurred. 

Offline Paul O Connor

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 08:36:09 »
Thanks Beemer6,
I will check the switches out and let you know if it resolves the issue.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 08:46:46 »
I think that kwackboy may be on the correct path. From what I understand, the hill hold feature only works when facing up a hill, bike must be in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Tap the back brake to activate.  Since I don't own a 1050, I can't confirm if this is the only method to activate the hill hold feature.

My theory is, if the hill hold feature was accidently activated, there should be a warning display to this effect on the gauges. To disprove this theory, try to cancel the the hill hold feature to see whether this is the case. Squeeze the front brake twice quicly to cancel the rear brake lock.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 04:43:23 »
As beemer6 said unfortunately checking the switches for continuity may not help.The canbus system is low voltage and any non spec resistance in a switch/connector anywhere in that particular system throws the error code.Sometimes replacement is the only answer.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 12:14:05 »
Hill hold? another unnecessary thing to go wrong.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 16:07:50 »
Quote removed

I totally agree. It is all getting out of hand. Every increasing unnecessary electronics and ever decreasing build quality.

Offline Phil58Liew

• Bike: DL1050XT, GSSX1000GT, Panigale 1199s
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 13:46:11 »
Hi all, Phil from Malaysia.

I have the exact same issue happen to me last week FI-Hill Hold on my 2021 1050XT. Initially, my dealer thought it may be a weak battery (2 years since I got the bike) and on checking the battery was low on the CCP so I had a new battery fitted. All was going well again until yesterday when it reappeared!

Today when I put the key into the ignition to power up it disappeared so it would appear that it is intermittent but checking the workshop manual there is nothing within that addresses the issue. My dealer reset the Fault with the factory fault finding box and code box of tricks.

I scoured the internet to come upon this issued reported by thread starter Paul O Connor. I would like to know if it was resolved and if so how? I have a 6000 km round trip into Thailand starting 17 January and would like to see if this can be fixed before I leave. Many thanks in advance

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 14:03:56 »
Well Phil. First post since your introduction and you're passing on information already. Welcome again.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Phil58Liew

• Bike: DL1050XT, GSSX1000GT, Panigale 1199s
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 10:57:39 »
OK this is the latest and I hope the fix is the correct one.

A customer had the same issue plus ABS triggering at slow speed on a brand new bike that just left the showroom about the same time as I had my issue start. The new bike was taken back to Suzuki Malaysia and they found during unboxing and fitting the front wheel they had inadvertently nudged the sensor and sensor plate that resulted in a gap of more than stipulated. The specs say the air gap between sensor and plate should be 0.6 mm with a plus minus 0.5 mm tolerance. They fixed it and that new bike is sorted.

In my case my dealer measured the air gap and it showed 1.2 mm thus triggering the check light. To close the gap he removed the front wheel to gain access to the perforated plate then removed the plate and placed shims at all securing points to bring the gap back to 0.5 mm. Apparently on European bikes the sensors are adjustable whereas the Japanese not.

I have attached two photos of what was done. OK this hopefully resolves it. I shall ride and monitor the situation and report again if anything is amiss. I had been in contact with the technical department of Suzuki Malaysia giving them all information that they relayed it back to Japan. The is a rare occurrence hence any feedback may be useful to assist anyone coming up with a similar scenario. I certainly hope it fixes my issue.