Author Topic: How to use ACF50..?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
How to use ACF50..?
« on: July 14, 2023, 09:26:47 »
I'm not someone who cleans my bike often but it really could do with some tlc.
If I'm going to do it then I may as well do it properly so would appreciate any tips on using ACF50.
What can you tell me please!

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: How to use ACF50..?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 09:39:38 »
The pump stuff is far cheaper, and I find easier to use, than the aerosol.
Top tip (not mine so no credit sought), put the pump bottle in a bowl of hot water before spraying as it will thin the ACF50 and it will go on a lot easier.
Just get the bike well clean and dry, spray a fine mist of ACF50 over anything that isn't your brakes, wipe off any excess and spread the oil so you have a thin film on everything but no runs, pools, or globules as these will bake into a nasty tacky spot. Once you're happy everything is covered in a super thin film then I like to fire the bike up for a few minutes and 'cure' the coating (it will smoke a bit and smell lovely). You're then good to go. Cleaning products like Muc Off shouldn't remove the ACF50 for a good few months but any type of degreaser will.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 09:49:32 »
As above, but I use a compressor & spray gun. Warming the ACF50 up is a good idea too. Yes, cover brakes & tyres, I use split black bin bags, & spray the rest of the bike. Not too fussed about the plastic but it won't do it any harm. The ACF50 will creep into places & the thinner the application the better.
A cold water rinse won't wash it off but as Rixington says degreaser or even a vehicle shampoo/soap will.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 13:34:09 »
Spraying is best and quickest and you can spray it into inaccessible places but it must be warm or it will block the sprayer. I spray, use a brush and even put it on a rag and wipe it on. Don't worry about it getting on the paint or the electrics as it won't do any harm. It may seem expensive but it goes a long way and will last for ages. It's less than £20 for a litre bottle in my local bike shop and maybe less on ebay.

Not telling you anything that the above members have not already said but do remember it is best used warm.  :thumb:

Oh! After cleaning and oiling your chain wipe some on the side of the links too.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 17:14:31 »
I found this, posted on this site back in May 2021. ACF 50 really is good stuff.
 https://f2mcltd.blogspot.com/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 17:22:20 »
Don't do what my brother did in his old flat and leave the bottle in the bathroom next to the shampoo... You guessed it, he used it by mistake - he didn't rust though  lol

I use a compressor on mine, but before that it was a spray bottle onto a cloth and wipe it over

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 19:29:48 »
Wayup Steve.
Lets assume you are starting with a fully cleaned looking good bike.With me that is a rarity,I like to take piccys to remind myself.
Now do you care about how it looks day to day or how it will look when you fancy getting rid of the rust bucket/pristine bike(delete as appropiate) and how much effort are you willing to put in.I ask because that question is what will govern what you do.
Some just ride.
Some ride then clean.
Some clean then ride.
Some just clean.
I'm guessing you like me are near the top of that list.
ACF50 or XCP are good products.Lather it on any way you please it will do the job.I combine it with GT 85 on plastics and paint,because it has silicone in it and gives a good shine.
I VERY rarely wash my bikes during salt free times,Just keep piling on the oils of whatever variety.It looks like shit.
BUT it is protected.And besides ,when I park mine next to a clean one I know which one the bike thief is going to have away.
Every 6 months or so I will go to town on it and f@ck me if there isn't a clean rust free bike under all that shit.
Some think cleaning is maintenence .It's not.But the bike/dirty grease ball does need to be checked over at regular intervals ,no skipping here I'm afraid.
Do this or something similar that works for you and your bike will mostly look like crap TILL you sell it on and then it will look just great.
And.... you will have more time for riding it,'cos you ain't cleaning it.

Ho Hum

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 20:34:35 »
Mine is clean, most of the time, but I spend more time riding it than cleaning it.
Mick

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 20:50:34 »
Try XPC rust blocker clear coat. I started using this a couple of seasons ago after struggling to spray on ACF50 , tried pouring it into a atomizer bottle then put the bottle in hot water but after a couple of sprays ACF50 goes thick again. Also in Bennetts youtube vid XPC came out really well. It really does spray on a treat and with the straw you can get in all the awkward places. You can get it in a twin pack a tin of the aformentioned spray and a bottle of XPC to wipe on.

Oldleathers

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 21:21:46 »
Use cheap cling film on tyres and disc's to stop contamination  :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline nigel s

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 05:32:04 »
Yeah oily discs is a worry.I don't go near the front with any spray,I put it on a rag and apply that way.I'm careful at the back, even with a bin bag on, if I'm giving it a big dose.Most times I will spin the disc in lightly soaked acetone rag to de-oil it.Even when there is no oil on it and it looks clean you will be amazed how much shit comes off on the rag!

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 15:04:18 »
Wow, thank you all for your replies - I'm almost feeling obliged to do some bike cleaning..
I'll reread and digest and give it a go once I've got over my fear of contaminating my brakes and tyres...

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 15:17:42 »
Steve my last tip is to apply the ACF then leave it overnight if poss, then anything that has dripped down can be wiped off the tyres with soapy water. :thumb:

Offline Cartejo5

• Bike: DL650XT L8
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2023, 17:20:17 »
Whilst we're on about acf50, what's the most effective way of removing it from a bike that's literally caked in rhe stuff.

From what I can gather it's had about 3 coats over the last few years one on on top of the other, I haven't got it yet but intend fully cleaning it then reapplying a coat once its here.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 18:05:54 »
wd 40

Offline Cartejo5

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 18:00:29 »
Re WD40, can you please elaborate on how you would use it to remove acf50?

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 20:41:44 »
I think he means that if you spray WD40 on top of ACF50 it will wipe or wash off. With car/bike shampoo the ACF 50 will come off easy. In fact if you use something like Muc-off cleaner it will wash off quite easy without the need for WD40. That is why when you have applied ACF 50 it's wise not to wash the bike unless you intend to reapply. Sillyboy should be along soon to correct me if my interpretation of his answer is incorrect but what I have said is true, I've used ACF50 for years.  :thumb:

Offline Cartejo5

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 20:54:59 »
Cheers Doc, I've got some mucoff I'll give that a try first.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 21:17:43 »
The Doctor is correct in that any car shampoo/soap will remove ACF50. If it is caked on then any degreaser should loosen it, with a bit of agitation using a paint brush, I cut the bristles down a touch. But personally I wouldn't waste money on expensive degreasers, this stuff is excellent & very cheap. Available from all good, & not so good, supermarkets.
Mick

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 22:53:54 »
Second XCP, I use a paintbrush to slather it on, and a dedicated rag to wipe it down. By the time I've done the frame/major metal bits/engine, the rag is wet enough to wipe over plastics and other bits to make it look shiny.

Can be removed with elbow grease and a mild car detergent. I normally clean the bike, slather it on, and then only rinse with a hose over winter/into spring as found although the bike looks dirty, it's all stuck to the layer of XCP. Once I wash it again in spring, it all comes off and really helps to see where you've cleaned and where you haven't  :dance: