Author Topic: Crash Bars, yes or no?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Kona29

• Bike: DL650
Crash Bars, yes or no?
« on: July 12, 2023, 14:22:22 »
Hi All,

Old topic a good one

Looking to either fit lower owling or crash bars/aluminum sump guardto my new vstrom 650.
Bike is a keeper & intent to tour...
Worth it or not? Not intending much ofroad unless lost.

Appreciate any thoughts in advance
Ged

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Crash Bars, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 14:27:16 »
Engine/fairing bars, absolutely worth it in my opnion.
I've only ever dropped my bike once and it was inside my own garage when my shoe lace came untied and got caught under the rear tyre when paddling backwards, foot out onto a wet patch and down she went. Engine bars almost certainly saved fairing damage, I also like the look of them to be fair but better to have and not to need I say. You can also hang stuff off them like aux lights and small luggage bags.

Sump guard is a bit more off road only I would say as they often make oil/filter changes more of a ball ache.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 14:30:13 »
I have crash bars and lower cowling on my 2012. Crash bars are a good place to mount accessories and protect the fairing in a low speed drop. Lower cowl helps keep it clean/protect the oil filter.
I hear sump guards can cause noise so worth bearing in mind if you don't go off road.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 14:53:11 »
Crash bars/accessory bars definitely. Bash plate?? I fitted one, never needed it, and it reflected a lot of noise up through the gap between front of tank and rear of fairing. Took it off. If you buy both, make sure they are compatible with each other.

Offline Kona29

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 15:51:34 »
Great replies, will buy the black plastic cowling first the Heed crash bars at somepoint.
Not keen on sump guard as trying to keep bike minimalist as possible...added noise & wait could be an issue too

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 15:56:31 »
Crash bars, why wouldn't you. The Givi allow panel removal on the later 650's.
The oil filter is easily damaged by stones and you wouldn't want a hole through it on a trip. The Suzuki plastic guard does not restrict filter removal.
Upt.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 16:42:37 »
Crash bars for that drop while pushing the bike on gravel and your foot slips. don't ask me how I know. They may never be needed put will pay for themselves the first time they are.

I also have the lower cowling, I don't know if I've ever needed it but it finishes the bike off nicely, you may find one cheap on ebay.   :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline SteveH

• Bike: DL1000, Honda Silverwing 600
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 18:21:31 »
I'm watching this because I'm considering crash bars for my 1000.
As with the OP offroad isn't going to happen, I can't be doing with spot lights, but that topple is a risk.
My old Tenere went over crossing a ford, fortunately they have a small built in topple bar which works, the Strom is more exposed.
So it's cost and something that doesn't interfere with maintenance, eg getting the tank off.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 19:28:55 »
Crash bars yes ,clues in the name.
Sump guard yes ,for off road .
Road ,for looks only,which is fine..but it won't keep salt water off the engine so not a lot of protection from a road bike point of view, just makes it harder to clean behind it.
Also nobody has mentioned the comfort angle,I fitted fwd pegs to my Givi crash bars(Fit once,full access) and for long periods in the saddle are a god send.I will pop a leg up every now and again all through a ride BEFORE my leg/hip/whatever aches and it stops the ache coming on.For me movement is key to comfort.
Better than "low" footpegs for me,which are still one fixed position ,I am already scraping the std ones ,an inch? lower would be a problem.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 20:26:48 »
The crash/engine bars have saved damage to my bike a few times. All slow speed or stopped dismounts but the bike still goes down with a bang!
I have the OEM plastic cowling to cover the oil filter & the bottom of the engine, with that & a mudguard extender a lot of crap is prevented from getting onto the filter & engine, it also finishes the bike off in my opinion.
With the cowling in place you can get to the oil filter to change it but it's only four screws to remove/replace if you want to.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Kona29

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 21:11:31 »
Thanks for input Nigel....would never have guessed what Crash bar's are for!:-)
Any reason why you prefer givi as opposed to heed for example?

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 21:23:05 »
You could ho for a pyramid belly pan, covers more of the engine / exhaust etc than the OE cowling but 4 bolts to remove for oil filter access.
Think it was about £125 against OE at £250+?
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline FragglePete

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 21:38:28 »
Just put Givi Crash Bars on my 2014 DL1000 this year - the bike just looks so much better for it, along with the practical reasons for it.  It just gives the bike a bit more presence on the road and you can mount some lights on them later on, again, making it a bit more visible.

I did have R&G Crash Bungs on mine previously, but bars looks so much better.

FragglePete

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 22:40:25 »
My DL1000 came with Givi crash bard and the plastic cowl, and I'm glad they did. They do the jobs as stated by everybody and look the part. I have aux lights and small luggage bags on the bars. The plastic cowl keeps the worst off the oil filter and surrounding area.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 05:00:10 »
Kona29
I went with the givi because of the placement of the lower part of the bars made fitting the fwd pegs easy.Others did not have a suitable mounting place.As I remember Givi do 2 types for the 650 I got the TN3101.£120.If you are not mounting pegs though the Heed look fine.Any crash bar is better than no crash bar :thumb:

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2023, 07:21:12 »
Not long after picking up my 1050XT in May, even with the longer front mudguard, I noticed stone chips on the lower part of the engine bar.

I decided to get a Hepco Becker from a company in Spain…..£209. 6 bolts to remove at servicing time or to take off for engine cleaning.

I’m not going off road, it’s purely to protect the lower engine from road debris damage.👍

Offline Kona29

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2023, 18:08:48 »
Thanks blokes, definitely sold on Crash Bars now, can't decide on either Heed or Hepco & Becker...
Any preferences on these? Re mounting points & removal etc. Cost secondary.

Offline Phild

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2023, 19:21:26 »

Offline Kona29

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2023, 21:02:08 »
Thanks Phil, the Hepco bars look good...

Offline Phild

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2023, 07:18:06 »
When I made my order this company were the cheapest by a fair way. They were £100 cheaper than some UK suppliers.

It takes a little longer for the delivery, but the price at check out is the price you pay, no duty charges etc. Postage cost £10.95 I think. 👍