Author Topic: It was good while it lasted  (Read 1117 times)

Offline tonkie

• Bike: Yamaha “Fizzy” , Suzuki GT185, Honda cb500x and a Push Bike
It was good while it lasted
« on: March 27, 2023, 15:58:17 »
As title
Had my Strom since last October and on the times I’ve ridden it I’ve enjoyed it, but I’ve always found it too big and heavy to move around the driveway and for parking up, so today I’ve ordered a Honda cb500x.

It was my first big bike after obtaining  my big boys licence last year and I know now that my heart ruled my head, so it’s the end of a short love story and hopefully the start of a long romance  :)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: It was good while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 20:04:04 »
I wish you well with your new Honda Tonki, in my opinion it's a good choice and I hope it proves to be. Shame you found the V-Strom too heavy though because I'm sure it would be a much better bike to ride and own, if you didn't have to push it around the garage. :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 22:01:44 »
Good luck. Ride safe.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 23:35:51 »
You should try a Varadero.. I think the Strom is so much easier to manoeuvre....
I did look at a 500x before I go the Strom, but I think I would have got bored with the performance.. the fuel economy prob would have been great though.. ha ha ha..
Good lock.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 07:04:31 »
Yeah the Varadero weighs a tonne.

The first time I had to push the Varadero up hill backwards into my garage I learnt how heavy she was compared to the k6 wee it replaced.

I test rode the CB500x when it first came out around 2013, and a friend on a 650 glee came with me. Around the twisty lanes he couldn't stay with me, such a nimble bike with a punchy 470cc engine and not much weight.

I really enjoyed the hour I spent on it, nearly bought one when the Wee died, but at that point I was doing quite a bit of 2up still and needed a physically bigger tourer.

The CB500x is still on the radar for the future bike, very underrated and people discount it without riding it but that's snobbery about the 500 in the name not being 1000cc+

Ride Coordinator

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 10:57:01 »
mr-diver, had you and your mate swapped bikes on the twisty lanes, I'm sure you would have left him a lot further behind than you did on the Honda.  :thumb:

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 13:25:40 »
Yeah, the 2upness was the concern for me too...
Certainly the 500x is on the radar for solo touring (sooner than I think) and as I get older.. 

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 23:52:42 »
A mate of mine bought a Varadero before he passed his test, he wanted a 1000cc as I have a DL1000. He's 5' 8" and couldn't get his toes on the floor on my bike, but could nearly flat foot on the Varadero. He rode the Varadero for less than a month before selling it, including getting the seat scooped, as it was too top heavy, he bought a Deauville which fits him like a glove.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 07:18:27 »
The Deauville feels very much like the Varadero, still top heavy, but definitely lower, my 5ft8 father cold ride his NT700v but not a chance on the Varadero.
Both bikes were designed in the mid/late 90's and made in the same factory... Japan then Barcelona, so makes sense they feel kind of similar, both touring bikes.

The Deauville owners forum have a section called stopped & dropped. You can get Bronze (1 drop), Silver (2 drops), Gold (3 drops) and there is even Platinum membership (4+ drops).

I'm quite lucky to have long legs, I've test ridden a few Africa Twins and always found them to be a bit on the low side, and the seat a bit narrow. I did play around with a tall seat on the high setting of the taller Adventure Sport model whitch felt like sitting on a rather tall plank. But the height was about right.

The Varadero has a wide, soft seat and I use sheep skin over the top just to add that bit more comfort.

The CB500X has or at least on the early ones I've ridden had a 1 piece seat, none of those silly 2 piece stepped planks you get on many of the larger adv bikes. Nice and low for those needing it and a low centre of gravity.

Hope you enjoy the new bike  :auto-dirtbike:

Ride Coordinator

Offline tonkie

• Bike: Yamaha “Fizzy” , Suzuki GT185, Honda cb500x and a Push Bike
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 19:14:25 »
Thanks for the input about my decision, but today it’s reaffirmed that I’ve made the correct decision, I park the Strom at the side of the house and there is not enough room to turn it around, so it’s either drive in, push it out, or push it in and drive out.

It was parked up in the drive out position, but they have given us force 8 gales over night and the side of the house is like a wind tunnel, so I wanted to move to rear of house for some protection, so I had to push it back all of about 10 meters before I could maneuver it around.

I'm about 5’ 9”, 12st and nearly 63 and it was such an effort and I could easily dropped it, never a problem when riding thou.

Anyhow, had bit of an update on my new Honda, delivery about 4 weeks, as the bike comes as just standard, I’ve added, center stand, 12 volt plug and knuckle guards, in the glorious colour of Pearl Organic Green 😀

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 20:25:57 »
Good choice, love that Pearl Organic Green.  :icon_drool5:

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 20:26:51 »
Great choice....the improvements made to the CB500X (19" front wheel, upside down forks and dual discs at the front) have turned it into a great, lightweight, solo tourer. Overtaking needs a bit of planning, but otherwise it's a joy to ride. I've added one to my garage, along with the DL650....loving them both. As some here will know, when you reach a certain age, a lighter bike becomes very desirable!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 21:29:53 »
I'm 63 in a fortnight, how long before I have to sell the orange thing?

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 22:59:17 »
You absolutely have to sell it and to the first person to make an offer. Your not allowed to stop ridding your KTM  until you have thought about it for a while, you are thinking about it.

I offer £2.50p for it. Bish Bosh, sold.  :thumb:

You need to change you're ways young man. You'll be riding around on a mobility shooter far too soon anyway. Keep the KTM and enjoy it, I'm 66 and always made good progress when riding but I feel as I get older, I ride even faster and feel perfectly safe. You never stop getting better and a couple of courses will hone the skills and bravado that you had at 17 but the wisdom that comes with riding a long time. I'm sure you will have another bike if the big bike gets too big, you  can get some nice light and low large capacity bikes now.

The 650DL wee is a perfect bike but still a little heavy, but can be made low. There some things it won't do that your KTM did, not quite as well and maybe it won't ride as fast as a Kawasaki with a supercharger but it does do everything well if you let it loose.  :thumb: :auto-dirtbike:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 23:15:44 »
Reserve not met. Withdrawn from sale.