Author Topic: Chain Lube and cleaning options  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Bingo

• Bike: Honda Vision 110. Piaggio BV350ST
Chain Lube and cleaning options
« on: March 09, 2023, 11:02:08 »
Another newbie question. Having been riding scooters for years and just got my 2017 Strom 650 XT last Friday I am a bit unfamiliar with regular maintenance such as chain lubrication.  Googling about I was surprised to read just how often you need to do this and of course there are varying opinions on what sort of mileage, which products are best etc.

Bike has had recent chain and sprockets and they look in very good condition.  So the questions are. How often do you clean / lube yours and what do you use?  Do you need to clean it each time or just slap a bit of lube on?  What sort of miles between treatments?  I won't be doing a lot of miles. Maybe up to 3000 a year.  My Arthritis makes it extremely difficult to get down low to do this kind of thing but I can lie on a board. I wondered about fitting a Scottoiler but its not something I could fit myself so would it be worth it for such low miles.

This sounds like it would do the job.  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/298716

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Chain Lube and cleaning options
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:46 »
My opinion, for what it's worth.....
I use a PD Oiler mini, https://pdoiler.co.uk/store/p/style-01-c7mgt, & have done for most of the bikes life. Now on 50k miles plus & the third chain. I have used chain saw oil in it once  the supplied oil up & it's been fine.
I have done 3k mile plus tours (in warmer, drier climates though) & on a low setting the bottle has lasted the trips. In this country where I ride in the rain more often I turn it up slightly, but not much.
Cleaning is important but in drier times I'll do a full clean every month or two in wet weather every week or two.
I use paraffin & a 4" paint brush, with the bristles shortened a touch, before I wash the bike, then wash the chain with soap & water when I wash the bike. To finish off I put some of the chain saw oil on a rag & spin the wheel (with my hand, not with the engine!) rubbing the rag on the links to put a coating on it, as it might be standing for a while before next use.         
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 12:17:37 »
I used to sped ages worrying about this topic. Especially coming from a racing background (unsealed chains) and then 40k miles with a shaft drive bike. Nowadays not so much after realising they are far more resilient than I thought. 

Basically, I clean it off with brake cleaner and a good wipe over every now and again usually before a big ride. I clean the inner and out faces up with WD40 normally on a rag. Then to lubricate I spray Silkoline lube on the inner and outer edge of the rollers and a little bit on top. I personally like to use a "wet lube" (oooh matron) but some people like to use the dry waxy stuff. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Keep the tension and alignment correct, and the clean and lube it before a big ride, or more often in wet weather.
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 12:33:43 »
I was using Scottoiler for past 52000 miles, now I switched to PDoiler prestige (which is much better, not spraying oil all over the rear of the bike).
Chain usually last me 15-20k miles. Highly recommended.

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 14:56:19 »
I clean mine sparingly, as I find the more lube/oil you add the more grit and crap sticks to it… making it dirtier quicker and more likely to stiffen up (or bind as I think it’s called).

As said before, if riding through poor weather every day then cleaning intervals may be once a week. But over the summer months, I clean it once a month with chain cleaner and a light spray of lube. The ‘X’ rings (or ‘O’ depending on the choice) retain a lot of the required lube, so adding loads of lube isn’t really required unless you like spraying your rear end in sticky residue.

I will mention though I’m mainly road riding in good weather. If you venture off road a lot then the chain will need cleaning probably daily. So it depends on your riding, when and where and frequency… that is an obvious and pointless statement I realise so apologies.

Other thing to note, you could just budget on a new chain every 20k and just ignore cleaning, as the cost of a chain isn’t much when you think that mileage might be a few years riding for some.
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 16:05:14 »
Some blokes on the stromtrooper forums swear by just wiping down the chain with a rag and re-lubing, with minimal "cleaning", and have had long chain lives.

When I clean mine I don't scrub it to within an inch of its life, I just get the crap off with some chain cleaner, give a wipe down, let the cleaner evaporate and then spray the lube on (Good ol' sportsbikeshop chain lube, although I've also got some Motul chain paste to try when this runs out!)

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 16:15:16 »
Bingo, I've used the Motul lube last year, it's good stuff, not too messy. I haven't used the cleaner.
If you are riding in dry conditions don't worry about it, the lube won't disappear after each ride. Don't spray too much on either, it'll only come off over the bike.
I'm firmly in the oily rag department when it comes to cleaning and then only if I have too. You'll probably find you rarely have to adjust the chain too.
I came from a shaft drive to the Strom but my previous CBF1000 would do long European tours with no adjustment and little lube. New chains are good at what they do.
Chill and ride, well once the blummin snow goes.
Upt.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 16:19:21 »
The Wurth Dry Lube on SBS may suit you too. Far less messy.

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 16:58:16 »
Ride all the year.
Always like my chains to be wet cos it helps stop corrosion plus most of the muck gets flung off  :lala:. I clean the chain before and after the winter using parrafin and a small stiff brislted brush. I then wipe the outer link plates with ACF50 and I use gearbox oil to lube the chain. I dribble some oil onto either side of the rollers after every ride - like I said, I likes a wet chain  :grin:

There is a Tutoro oiler on my F8GS (bike came with it fitted) which I'm not that struck on - its way to finicky over which oil is in it, barely dribbling using gear oil in the winter to gushing out in the warmer months.
My other ride has a scottoiler on it and I find it much easier to regulate, even with gear oil in it.

Just to say that when off roading, I wipe the chain with a dry rag and turn any oiler fitted to the bike to its lowest/off setting before said activity.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

:whistle:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 17:35:10 »
Chainsaw oil. Apply lightly with a brush onto rollers/plates as SteveT says. OK with parrafin or a cheap cleaner from a shop.  500-750 miles between oiling. I carry a small spray can on the bike for longer trips.  :thumb:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 20:43:20 »
For the cleaning I use a 'Bike it' chain brush.
Put the bike on the centre stand the U shaped end around the chain and then just turn the rear wheel by hand.
Very convenient and effective also keeps your fingers away from the chain.
My cleaning agent of choice is currently Progreen drive train cleaner which just flushes of with water, MucOff do something very similar.
I buy the Progreen in a 5 litre which makes it even more economical.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 23:01:20 »
I use a Scotoiler oiler, I've had the same one for about 12 years. To clean the chain I use wd40 and a rag but as a fair weather rider now I don't need to clean it that often.
  Any lube or oil will do the job, I used them all over the years. Wax types make the most mess but stick best if you ride every day rain or shine, dry lubes like Wurth are a good compromise but I got fed up with the mess behind the sprocket cover and the expense and went back to the oiler.
 My first chain lasted 25k miles with the Wurth dry lube, my current  chain has almost 20k miles on it with the oiler and is still in good shape so there's not much difference either way really.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 23:34:23 »
I use chain saw oil for a quick brush on top and bottom, moving the bike on the drive or in the garage to coat different bits. I wipe with a rag before moving to the next bit which cleans the chain as well as drying it a bit to prevent too much fling on to the tyre. I do this every 50 miles or less in winter to keep the rust at bay. When I can be bothered to lift on the paddock stand ( I don't have a centre stand) I wipe with a rag and then spray on Silkolene chain lube. I keep an eye on the chain slack too when it's on the stand - just touching the frame at the tightest spot. If not I tighten about a quarter turn each side looking at the notches to keep he wheel central. It is usually a bit stiff until I have ridden a mile or so then the tension usually settles to Suzuki recommended range. Bike can be a bit grotty in the winter but as long as the chain is looked after, I'm good to ride in all weathers above 3C. I brush chainsaw oil on all bare metal including abs ring, brake line ends rear suspension and hose clips to fight the salt .  In summer chain needs less attention but I still give it the finger test....a little bit of lube should rub off all sections. Can't stand to see someone's bike with a dry rusty chain - I think 'lazy sod'  :smirk: I'm not a fan of chain wax/dry lube as I like to see a bit of wet! Each to their own though. There are a lot of Harley haters out there but I will say this, belt drive on an American bike like mine knocks spots off my lovely chain Jap bikes as far as maintenance goes  :icon_wink:

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 09:30:43 »
How often you need to do it depends entirely on usage.
I clean the chain with paraffin then use 80/90 gear oil as lubrication applied using an old fashioned small thumb pump oil can applying a drop to both sides of every link. I then soak a small piece of rag with oil and rub it over the faces of the chain as a protective coating.
I always remove the chain guard to make access easier. This oil is quite ‘clingy’ so will not end up all over your number plate!
It works out a lot cheaper than aerosols and, in my opinion, does a far better job.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 11:44:10 »
Another EP 90 user here, I apply it with a special narrow long bristled brush. I clean the chain with diesel.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 11:49:20 »
As above I like 75/90 gear oil, I put some in an aerosol cap and use a small artist brush. I coat each individual roller making sure it spins freely and at the same time inspect the plates and rivets. I do this probably every 500 miles or so, it takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes and I find it therapeutic. Very little fling and an oily rag keeps it looking like new, bordering on anal maybe but I like to look after my stuff.

This ensures the chain is smooth and quiet and I can't remember the last time I had to adjust a chain never mind replace one.

My pet hate is that horrible white spray stuff that dealers use, useful only for hiding a rusty neglected chain!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 15:37:19 »
I too find chain maintenance very satisfying, I actually look forward to a session. Coupled with spoke and hub cleaning what really could be better?

I draw the line at polishing my rear rim though.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 16:17:59 »
 :dl_hyperhysteria:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 17:26:14 »
@TL
Does that include your nipples as well...?

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 17:57:01 »
If it includes his nipples I don't know why he'd draw the line at polishing his rim.

I'll get me coat