Author Topic: DL1050 Clutch Issue  (Read 724 times)

Offline Lizy's Rider

• Username: Lizys Rider
  • Bike: V Strom 1050XT
DL1050 Clutch Issue
« on: February 19, 2023, 21:04:13 »
Hoping for some advice and a sense check.

Just changed my chain and both sprockets.  Now I can't get any gear above first.

I think I cocked up the clutch cylinder reinstall, didn't tie the clutch lever back then pushed the clutch piston back on whilst it was probably sticking out and I'm wondering if I have pushed the pushrod too far in the process.  Looking at DL1000 videos this can happen although I couldn't easily see if the clutch plate had moved too far out as suggested through the oil filler.

The clutch lever works fine, but even with the clutch in the rear wheel binds in 1st gear.  The bike won't shift except into first when not using the clutch.

There's also now an oil leak when I remove the pushrod whereas there wasn't previously.

Clearly I've screwed the pooch, just wondered if there was anything else I can try before having the side of the bike off.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: DL1050 Clutch Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 07:01:01 »
It sounds like a clutch plate may be locked out of the clutch basket?  From what I have read, often one is lucky enough when using a screw driver through the oil filler hole, to release the clutch lockout.   This lockout appears to be something common that could happen to any of the DL1000 / DL1050 models while installing the clutch slave, if the wrong technique is applied.

Have a look at the advice in https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/clutch-issues-after-chain-and-sprockets-change.431953/ and replies #39 and #45 of  https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/clutch-slave-cylinder-leak.421507/page-2#post-5665033

Offline Lizy's Rider

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 17:06:17 »
Many thanks for the reply.

I had thought this might be the issue but the clutch plates look to be in the right place and moving with the clutch lever as they should, as far as I can see through the oil filler anyway.

I spoke the Suzuki dealer that sold me the bike this morning and they suggest it might be the selector spring, although admit its a long shot, either way I think the side needs to come off to have a look.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 17:44:29 »
I don't mean to sound rude Lizy but before digging any deeper, it may be worth taking it to your dealer or if you know a very good mechanic ask them to have a look at it for you. As I said, I don't want to be or sound rude so please don't take offence.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 19:45:21 »
Have you double checked your work ..?

When removing the pushrod some oil does seep out, it's nothing to worry about , just clean it off before reassembly.

I don't think you've dislodged the outer pressure plate as you didn't tie the lever back.

Double check your work, make sure the slave is bolted on correctly with the long spacer behind then bleed the system , it's probably got trapped air.

For your info, when operating the clutch with trapped air in the system, it will still engage the clutch partly, not fully , this causes drag and gear changes difficulties.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 19:57:58 »
Seconded, had slightly reluctant changes when I bought mine, a bleed sorted the issue. If you left the slave cylinder detached but without retaining it or tying the lever back then it's possible the cylinder crept out far enough on the spring to weep oil, this is what mine did first time I worked on it and I then had air in the line.

Offline Lizy's Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 10:20:08 »
Thanks for all responses and sorry for delay responding back.

It was entirely down to my being stupid.  I put one sproket rubber back in the wrong way round and it fouled everything. 

Least I know know how to change the coolant :lala:

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 11:01:50 »
Is the gear change lever in the correct position? I put the lever back on my GPX one mark out and it wouldn't upshift. Just asking.  :shrug:

I like the 'check your work' comment from kwackboy.  :thumb:
So how's it going so far then?