Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice on Vstrom 650  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Bingo

• Bike: Honda Vision 110. Piaggio BV350ST
Re: Newbie looking for advice on Vstrom 650
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 16:23:30 »
I am a bit short in the leg. Well I'm 5ft 10 with a 30" inside leg but very arthritic in the knees.  I managed a CBF1000 the other day though no problem but they are a fairly low seat. I think it was on the middle setting.  One issue I have to consider is getting the bike reversed backwards down my loose stone drive into the Garage.  It slopes very slightly downwards towards the garage. What I have to do with the big scoot is kind of get turned round on the pavement at the top of the drive and push it backwards whilst sat on it carefully with my feet.  Ill need to be able to do that with any bike I decide on so will need both feet touching the ground quite well and the ability to shove backwards.

Sounds daft I know.  :)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 21:09:06 »
I'm a similar height to you (with only one arthritic knee, at the moment  :old: ) but with a 29" inside leg, so can just get the balls of my feet down, but I struggle to move the bike, whilst sitting on it, up any sort of slope or on gravel. I have the good lady get off and pull me back if that's convenient but more often than not I'll get off the bike and manoeuvre it with one hand on the bars & one on the pillion grab rail. Going backwards down a slope both hands on the bars so I can operate the front brake.
It's very difficult to roll a bike on gravel/loose stones & sometimes your footing can slip, have you thought of putting something like this down to give you a more solid base for your wheels & feet?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192637420376?hash=
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 22:07:33 »
Thanks Mick

As long as I can get the bike backwards at the top of the drive ill be able to gently push it backwards down the drive as it slopes slightly backwards. If I ride it in forwards to the garage I'm stuffed.  The BV350 weighs about 175kg I think and is fairly tall for a scoot and I manage that OK.  Ill know as soon as I sit on one if its going to be possible or not I think.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 23:08:33 »
Is there room to spin the bike on its side stand in the garage? That's another option for you. Don't do it on a floor you care about, or put something slippy down (like a piece of plastic drinks bottle or other slippy/disposable thing you can chuck when it wears out). I imagine you can get proper rotating things but I've never looked for them.

I really struggle to paddle the bike around and much rather get off and push it too... those grab handles are perfect! If going downhill, pop the bike into 1st then you can just use the clutch to regulate how fast its moving so you can keep the other hand on the grab handle :grin:

Offline Bingo

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2023, 23:24:53 »
Nah room in the garage is already tight. I know you can get those swivel plates but it just wouldn't work. However what you have suggested might work OK.  Engine off, first gear grab handle and clutch. Will be a PIA but if I can't paddle it down that might just work. I could leave the side stand down I guess and lean it slightly towards me so if I drop it then it won't fall over.

There is often our motorhome on the drive at times anyway so a lot of the time ill just leave it at the top of the drive and stick a cover on it.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 08:59:06 »
Hi Bingo, I volunteer for Blood bikes Wales. In 2019 when we first started in Powys we had an NC750dct and a 650 V-Strom which we kept for about 3 years. Some riders liked the Honda because it was automatic, not that it was ever ridden in full auto as it was lifeless. I thought the Honda was lifeless in any mode, how Honda managed to get so little power out of a 750cc bike I don't know. It never seemed as steady on the road as the V-Strom, some riders thought it was a quick ride but I always thought it was because the wind protection was rubbish, it was also very vibey as it got older. As you can probably tell I was in favour of the V-Strom. By the time the 3 years were up the Honda had done about 40,000 miles and the V-Strom about 55,000, which maybe goes to show how many of the riders preferred the V-Strom.
Good luck with your search.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2023, 22:03:06 »
Well I got a bit further today as I tried one of the ones on my list, the Honda CB650F and got to sit on a 2017 NC750X (which I couldn't take out). 

The CB650F was an absolute hoot. I felt like I was 19 again. It went like stink, cornered like it was on rails and I loved it. Well I loved it for 40 minutes. The reality of it was that it was cramped, my Arthritic knees were hurting within 20 minutes and it was a bit like sitting on a park bench in a hurricane at speed.  In fact it felt like being on my Honda Vision just with a rocket strapped to my arse. 

So the two things I've learned. I havent grown up and can't be trusted on a hooligan bike.  I Would almost certainly lose my licence on one and two I don't want a naked bike.

The NC750 felt OK but I wish I could have got to ride it.  Mrs Bingo preferred the NC pillion to the CB pillion but didn't go out on either.

Crossed off the list.

There was a brand new Strom 1050 in the shop and it looked absolutely massive. Its worried me a bit but I'm off to see the private sale 650 Strom XT on Thursday morning.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 17:07:09 »
Just an update on this thread. Been out today to have a look at the private sale Strom 650 XT.  Absolutely loved it.  I got on and off it OK with my dodgy knees and took a test ride out with the owner on the back and then he took Michelle out on the back. couldn't fault it really. Weather protection good. Every extra you can think of, good nick apart from some scuffs on the grab rails from strapping gear on.  So we did a deal and ill be picking it up in a week or so once he puts a years test on it.

The only downside for Michelle was the lumpy hinge on the large Kapra top box was uncomfortable for her but I guess that can easily be fixed with either a different box or an add on back rest if they do one.

Thanks for all the help. To be honest this group and the Strom FB group sold it to me. By far the most enthusiastic and helpful.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2023, 17:11:48 »
Oh meant to add The 2014 Piaggio BV350 hooligan scoot with the Leo Vince Exhaust will be going up for sale if anyone is interested. £2500 ono.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 17:25:11 »
Bingo you can move the plate for the top box back a bit.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Bingo

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2023, 17:28:13 »
Thanks. The positioning is fine but Michelle is a petite little thing and its the large stick out hinge on the back of the box that she leans against that was digging into her back. Ill have a search for back rests although some of them stick out a fair bit so useful to know it can be moved back.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2023, 18:59:13 »
My wife doesn't like a back rest on the back box because it pushes her too far forward (but my wife isn't a petite little thing.....& anyone who mentions that to her will suffer the same as I will!!).
She has a fairly decent back protector in her jacket & she's done 10's of thousands of miles like that & she's more than happy. Ours is a Givi Trekker top box which may well be the same as the Kappa.
Not wishing to argue with Graham, but I'm not sure the plate on a 650 can be moved back, I thought that it was only on the 1000 but I'll stand corrected.

Mick

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2023, 20:47:19 »
    Graham is correct,you can move the plate/back box back to give the pillion more room.I did it on my K9.From memory you can buy a kit to make it easy.
Ian Mc.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2023, 22:43:11 »
This is the correct one for the Kappa box I believe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Givi-K635-Passenger-backrest-KGR52-Garda/dp/B00FKJ0OBQ

Or here  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAPPA-K635-BACKREST-FOR-TOP-CASE-KGR52-GARDA-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-TOP-BOX-/195310800729?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

doesn't look that comfy to me but apparently they have some give in them. She doesn't have a jacket with back armour in but I am happy to get her one. I bet she won't want one though.

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2023, 10:34:12 »
Well done Bingo, which one did you go for?

Offline Bingo

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2023, 12:29:54 »
If you mean the bike Skiddy I went for the 2017 Vstrom 650 XT. It was a private sale someone pointed me towards on the Strom FB group.  A well known and respected member.  Fully loaded, all the luggage, Oxford heated grips and even a Sat Nav.  Took it out yesterday and loved it.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2023, 13:50:05 »
Skiddy, have you committed to buying a back rest yet? If not, I've found the one we bought but SHMBO doesn't like. It's brand new, never been on the bike, just offered up for her to try.
This is the model........ https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/212508
You can have it for £30 posted but if you want to try it first I'm happy to send it to you & let your wife see what she thinks about it. If she doesn't like it you can send it back or if you would like to keep it pay me by bank transfer?   
Mick

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2023, 17:46:14 »
Yes the bike, good choice Bingo!

Barbel Mick thank you for the offer but its Bingo that's looking at fitting the back rest, that one you have looks like a good solution and as a coincidence is similar to the one I have on my 52 Trekker and the missus likes it.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2023, 19:14:47 »
Oops, sorry Skiddy, and I posted that before I went to the pub!!!  :obscene-drinkingchug:
Yes, the message & offer was to Bingo.
Mick

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2023, 19:16:39 »
Bingo......see my offer above.
Mick