Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice on Vstrom 650  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Bingo

• Bike: Honda Vision 110. Piaggio BV350ST
Newbie looking for advice on Vstrom 650
« on: February 17, 2023, 11:31:47 »
Hi folks. Newbie here.

I live in the North Yorkshire Dales in the UK and currently ride a Piaggio Beverly 350ST and a Honda Vision 110 (Carried on the back of a motorhome).  I bought the Piaggio just for general trips out sometimes with Mrs Bingo on the back in 2021. Its been OK but I am bored of it and thinking of going back to a proper bike.

So I need something that will cope with a Pillion OK and will have a bit more power and better handling than the Piaggio.  Tried a CBF1000 the other day but they are a bit long in the tooth and Mrs Bingo wasn't so keen. Bit heavy also.

The contenders right now are

Honda NC750xa (2017)
Suzuki Vstrom 650 (2020 or maybe an earlier model)
Honda CB650F (2018)

Not ridden any of them yet but will be in the next week or so.  I also struggle from Arthritis in the knees so riding position and being able to get on and off the bike are important.  don't want to be cramped or struggling to get my leg over the saddle.  Mrs Bingo is very petite and about 5ft 4. She struggled to reach the grab handles on the CBF1000 and a top box or back support is essential.

My thoughts are the CB650F will be an absolute hoot for me with its performance but I'm not sure it will be a good pillion bike.  Vstrom will be somewhere in between but I like the look of the nc750xa, the storage, fuel consumption and presumably reliability. Just not sure it will put enough of a smile on my face when solo riding.  I'm thinking the Vstrom will be somewhere in between.  Low maintenance would be an advantage for me as I can't do any of it myself.

Just looking for opinions and any feedback in advance. Thanks

Offline Malfos

• Bike: Honda Forza 300
Re: Newbie looking for advice on Vstrom 650
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:56:37 »
Hello Bingo,   I have had 3 - 650 V Stroms, and they will easily carry both you and your wife, with good performance and comfort. They are quite a tall bike though, and you may have difficulty mounting / dismounting - with your arthritis, although they can be lowered.
I have also had several of the Honda NC 750/700 range. I generally found them not as comfortable as the V Strom, due to hard seat and  hard suspension, but there are modifications available. I liked the engine of the NCs, the storage, and the handling. The MPG was excellent on the Hondas, but I also got a regular 70 mpg plus on the V Stroms. The NC 750X is also quite tall, but the NC 750S is lower and would be easier to get on or off for you. I would try some for size, and perhaps have some test rides, to get a better idea if they are suitable for you. I have had no experience of the Honda CB650F.
Overall I preferred the V Stroms, to the NC Hondas, but I can no longer comfortably ride a manual bike and currently have a Honda  Forza 300 and a Honda X ADV 750.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:02:37 »
Quote removed

Hello!  Yes I tend to use the same name and avatar everywhere!  :)

Thanks for the reply. Another "what motorcycle" journey for me it seems.

I did get a sit on a Vstrom 1000 a year or so back and I managed to get on it, just. Felt OK so I reckoned it might be a contender.  The CBF1000 was dead easy to get on. Just been watching a few videos of the Vstrom and I reckon out of the three it might be the best for a pillion. Will have to go and check them all out.  I have heard a few comments about the hard seat on the NC750.

First one up to try is the CB650F on Monday (should have been today but the storm finished that off).  I'm not sure it will be suitable.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 12:10:30 »
The Vstrom 650 is great for 2 up (me and my missus are about 25 in total so no lightweights)
Carries us plus luggage no problem at all, plenty of space too, its as comfy as my old FJR.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 12:16:41 »
Quote removed

Cheers. I think we will be similar. I'm just under 18st and Mrs Bingo just under 8st. I don't even notice her on the back, even on the Vision!  :grin:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 12:26:02 »
650 owner here & ride two up pretty much all the time. We've done some long (3/4k miles) tours over the years and it's been perfect for us. I'm 16+st & the good lady is no size 8 model & we have plenty of room with panniers & back box fitted.
It's a great bike and it's the same as any other regarding maintenance, keep on top of it & she'll run forever.

PS...... don't quote the post above  if you reply to it, it's not necessary.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 12:42:16 »
Bought our Vstrom 650, 2017 model last year. When it was bought it was a case of will it be OK for two up touring, if not it would be sold on.
After doing about 1500 day miles last year it's a keeper and presently getting sorted for some nice trips.
The weight of the Vstrom never seems an issue and compared to the Pan before feels like a toy to move around. There's plenty of speed too, the engine is a peach, it'll do whatever you want.
Enjoy your search.
Upt'North.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 12:50:55 »
Thanks again. Its looking so far to me that out of the three the Strom may well be the best for two up. Looking at the grab handles they seem more easily reachable than the other two also.

Just have to get out on one now.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 14:44:31 »
Moved to a more appropriate section
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline 101driver

• Bike: DL650 K9X
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 18:18:27 »
This is just my experience with pillion on the 650 v-strom. I was doing 6-800 mile a day mainly A and B roads with a bit of dual carriageway. I fitted one of those square adventure style top box's, a huge thing and fitted the soft pillion back rest that the maker also made for the box. My daughter never used the grab rails, she just sat there like in an arm chair at home and regularly went to sleep. This was a bit disconcerting at first, but eventually I got to trust in the fact that she just sat there fast asleep. Her story, big comfy seat just sit back like in arm chair at home and nod off. The bike lends itself to smooth riding and as such there was never any tendancy for my sleepy daughter to fall off. Obviously grab handles pretty pointless when asleep. I am not advocating sleeping pillions, just my experience.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 19:16:34 »
I'm surprised you didn't fall asleep doing 6-800 miles a day ..  :shock:  :icon_wink:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 20:22:19 »
I have owned a 2019 NC750X DCT and a 2014 manual version. The manual was a far better ride in my opinion. Neither were a patch on the 2014  VStrom 650 I owned, particularly for two-up riding.

Offline dav

• Bike: DL650A M1
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 21:50:03 »
We have a 2021 650 Vstrom, brilliant machine and very underrated in my opinion, coming from two ST1300's, we are two up all the time, and we are very near it's maximum weight, no complaints whatsoever, with performance, handling and comfort, [now I have had the seat re-done], as for the NC 750X, three of my mates have them and they can barely keep up with me two up and there solo, also I wouldn't recommend the NC750 for two up, only one disc at the front and No preload at the rear, not good for two up, I discounted it straight away, when looking round before I bought the Vstrom and I have had Honda's for 45 years, never looked back, love it

Offline Bingo

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 08:28:33 »
Thanks again.  I joined three forums for the three different bikes yesterday and the Vstrom  FB group (some of you may be on it) and by far the most enthusiastic following is the Strom. I now have two private Strom sales to consider also within 100 miles from here. Both fully loaded with endless gear. A 2012 at £3500 and a 2017 at £4000.  Both with about 35k on the clock and good service records.

The Strom owners certainly seem happy with their bikes.  One of them has the big square "long way down" type boxes and panniers on.

So I think I definitely need to get out on one. Hopefully Ill manage that next week.

Offline 101driver

• Bike: DL650 K9X
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 09:24:58 »
Your strategy seems a good one to me Bingo. Everyones needs are different, the following where my needs when I changed from two very different bikes to the V-Strom 12 years ago, because my needs had changed. You never really know whether the bike will do what you expect till a few miles down the road. The bike has done everything I wanted and more. No shortfalls or regrets.
I needed one bike not 2 formally VFR750 sports tourer and DRZ400 trail bike
I needed up right riding position like trail bike (getting old) and comfort of sports tourer on big mile trips
I needed something comfortable and easy riding for up to 18 hours a day in the saddle
I needed high reliability
I needed easy spares availability and able to fix myself if I broke it so that I did not need recovery home
I needed solid pillion capability on one day, one up with full camping gear the next with easy switch
I wanted but did not need to keep up with my mates on sports bikes on day trips.

The bike has done all of this and exceeded my expectations. It is why I spent last week off work rebuilding the bike after a fire. I could have bought a new bike, I didn't, I like this one, it works, it does what I need and it's earn't my respect.
Only down side is if you really push it it can get a bit wallowy in the corners and feel vague, it's not mean't for this style of riding it's not a sports bike. If you can ride, it will do it and I have left more capable bikes behind on the twisties. The bike works best IMPO if you adopt a style of riding akin to the advanced rider training or police riders manual, the smooth style, get down the road, early off the power and settled going into the corners is what the bike naturally likes, if your needs fit with this style you will have a big smile.

Offline Bingo

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 13:31:32 »
I would be interested in the opinions of those that have rode both the NC750 and the Strom 650.  Someone posted on my thread on the NC forum earlier who has just swapped a Strom for an NC750 stating that the Strom is top heavy in comparison and the NC handles better and is less jittery on bends.

Offline Tintent115

• Bike: 2021 Vstrom 650XT & Suzuki Burgman 400
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 13:56:41 »
I had a 2016 Vstrom 650XT and loved it, but after a low speed spill I had scuffed a few bits so swapped it for a 2018 NC750X. There were bits of the NC I loved, the storage in the frunk and the torque at low engine revs. But the seating position was wrong, You ( well I) was leant forward a bit and after a while my wrists ached and I felt too close to the screen. So I swapped back to a 2021 Vstrom 650XT and love it. The missus comes on the back sometimes ( we take it on a trailer behind a motorhome) and plenty of power for the speed we want to ride......

Offline Bingo

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 14:47:29 »
Thanks Tintent115. Interesting and useful that you have had both the NC and two Stroms. Can I ask which bike your pillion preferred? Which has the most room and most comfy for the pillion.  Wife is under eight stone and quite small, five four.

A fellow motorhomer as well huh?  that's what I have the Honda Vision 110 for which hand on heart is the best bike I have ever owned. Did 5000 miles on it last summer on a five month trip.  Its light enough at 100kg to go on a rack on the back

Offline Tintent115

• Bike: 2021 Vstrom 650XT & Suzuki Burgman 400
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 14:05:42 »
Ah,  well she prefers the Strom mainly because there is no frunk for storage and therefore we have a topbox on, which makes her feel more secure 'cos she can't fall backwards !  Not really very scientific that is it !  But the rear carrier has sort of flared hand grips which in my opinion are better than the NC.   But overall she prefers the scoot we some times take, Burger 400 ( poor weather bike), the seat on that is massive, it's easy to get on and again it has a top box plus adequate storage for "civvy" jackets when we park up. But that wasn't the question you asked !

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 16:02:14 »
The comment that the VStrom is more top heavy than the NC is true and hardly surprising considering where the fuel tank is on the NC. As long as you are not short in the leg and able bodied I don’t see it as an issue. The VStrom is superb on tight mountain hairpins when fully loaded two-up.