Author Topic: Fitting A Lowering Kit  (Read 1020 times)

Offline KJMassey

• Bike: DL650 M0
Fitting A Lowering Kit
« on: January 23, 2023, 17:15:31 »
Hello there, after owning a ZX9R Ninja for the last 18 years, I traded it in for a 2020 650 VStrom.  So far very happy.  One thing though, I am quite short in the leg department and planning on fitting a lowering "dog-bone" kit.  Anyone else done this themselves?  Bike has a centre-stand, and I'm OK at spannering, but never needed to do dismantle rear suspension before.  Any tips?

Offline short-fall

• Bike: DL650XT
Re: Fitting A Lowering Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 21:13:51 »
Bike on ctr stand, length of wood and a wedge (for leverage) under the back wheel to take the weight, remove top & bottom bolts, adjust wheel Hight for new dogs and until greased up bolts slide in.
I'm a 29" leg, so I started by removing the seat rubbers, that gave me 1/2" lower, I then swopped the dog legs for a 1" lower set.
that 1" dropped the bike really low and affected the side stand so I had to change again to 1/2" lower, this worked for me.
took me around 90mins

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:43:36 »
Depending on by how much you are plan on lowering the suspension, the center stand may require some modification as well.
 I would rather try lowering the forks by raising the tubes in the yokes, as a basic step to lower the over seat to gound height.  If that doesn't help enough, then look at the lowering links.
The fork tube is discussed in threads like https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36477.0 and https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39737.0 which may be worth a read before rushing out to buy lowering links.
For advice on the dog bones / lowing links, perhaps have a look at threads like https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39194.0 and https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=40462.0

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 10:04:22 »
@short-fall. Is removing the seat rubbers all the is to lowering the seat?
I've got a gel pad on my seat which just makes it a bit too tall for my legs. Never thought of doing anything about it but if it's that simple and reversible then I'll give it a try when I'm home next.

Offline short-fall

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 10:50:19 »
Popping the seat rubbers off is easy, costs nothing and if works for you great, if not, pop them back on.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:42:58 »
You can also cut them in half?
I tried both but found I didn't like the way the seat was loose & moved about. Gave it a couple of months & put them back.
I also cable tied some inner tube to the frame where the seat would touch to stop any paint rubbing off.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:34:02 »
To be blunt, if you need to fit long lowering bones:
The side stand will hold the bike to the verticle and it may fall  over. You may have to have it chopped and re-welded
The same for the centre stand although you may be pals with the HULK or you can run the back wheel up a 30mm plank first.
You will have to lower the yokes down the fork tubes to correct the steering angle. I think that's about 50% of what you drop on the back
Check your front mudguard does not foul on the frame / engine when compressed under full braking.
First thing to do is to check that the previous owner has not jacked up the rear pre-load and maybe you can soften it a little. That will make the ride height a little lower.
I had all these issues when I lowered my Honda NC750 X and eventually came to the conclussion that I had the wrong bike.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 13:48:17 »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCuuizJ4w8M" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 02:33:37 »
Removal of the big seat rubbers was all I needed to get a little extra. I've actually stiffened the suspension back up because I found it too soft, and height still OK. I put some felt furniture pads on the seat to prevent rubbing of the paint.

Little unnerving sometimes if the camber of the road is a bit aggressive when stopping, but otherwise can almost get one full foot down with the other on the peg, otherwise two tippy toes.

Offline tonkie

• Bike: Yamaha “Fizzy” , Suzuki GT185, Honda cb500x and a Push Bike
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 18:49:31 »
I have also removed the seat rubbers today and where they sat on the frame I’ve put bits of an old inner tube attached with some cable ties, I also put some inner tube on the white hooks on the base of the seat again with cable ties, there is no movement with the seat when put back on, both my feet now sit flat on the ground.
It’s amazing whit an extra inch can do  :grin:

Offline tonkie

• Bike: Yamaha “Fizzy” , Suzuki GT185, Honda cb500x and a Push Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 14:22:41 »
I’ve been asked to submit photos of what I have done once I removed the seat cushions from the base of seat to stop it moving one fitted back, hopefully you can work out?

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 20:45:36 »
Is there a low seat option available for the 650?

I have one on my 1000 and it makes a massive difference (well actually 30mm) without the risk of upsetting the handling and compromising the stands usability.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 08:22:50 »
There is a low seat option for the 650.  I tried one on mine and it lasted one journey before swapping back to the original. I didn't find it comfy enough.

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 09:51:07 »
That's interesting sjrainsford, I find the lowered seat more comfy than the original....all about the individuals ergonomics I think.
I've found the lower seat helps a bit, might also try removing the rubbers.

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 19:27:07 »
I think you need a Harley or Triumph Bobber. Get your bum on the deck.
I dislike them myself.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.