Author Topic: Warning Lights, warning lights!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
Warning Lights, warning lights!
« on: January 02, 2023, 16:59:52 »
Well, I got rid of my my GSA1250 to avoid this sort of issue but alas, my 3 week old, 200mile old 1050 has flashed me some issues.
Just out for a ride today and the ABS warning light illuminated as well as the warning triangle (in orange).
As a test, I was able to lock the back wheel so yes, the ABS was not working. I switched the bike off, and back on again in true IT style.
The warning lights extinguished as they should after riding a few yards. The ABS worked fine, rear brake pulsing under heavy braking.
Lights then came on again plus the TC light came on for 15 seconds, went off for 30secs or so, and then came on randomly.
Then, the engine warning light came on as it was obviously feeling left out!
The LCD display was flashing between ‘FI’ and ‘HILL’.

Bike ran fine at all times, all lights amber.
I’m a bit miffed, I bought the ‘Strom for its famed reliability. I have left the machine at the dealer for a diagnosis and wondered if I was alone in having this problem. Seems like a connected issue. Any clues??
Cheers

Offline haggetty

Re: Warning Lights, warning lights!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 16:14:34 »
Update:
First off, I have been advised that the Front abs sensor ring was slightly distorted and this may have been part of the problem though this seemed a bit unlikely to me. My dealer has chased the issue through Suzuki who have actually blamed a faulty ABS module.
Suzuki have approved its replacement at a part cost of just over £1500!
Should be fixed by Friday!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 16:37:08 »
Excellent news, fingers crossed for you.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline haggetty

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 22:10:06 »
Quote removed

Thank you very much. 👍

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 23:07:18 »
£1500  :shock:

#yorkshirebattlecry

Glad it's being picked up under warranty  :thumb:

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 22:31:42 »
Sadly Suzuki have been hiking their spares prices to ludicrous amounts over the past few years (ABS pumps are North of £2000), budget bikes with premium spare prices. That said I’ve owned 1000 AL8 for the past few years with no failures at all, probably worth keeping the warranty up.
Incidentally I took a GSA 1250 out for a test run the other day, and I’m seriously considering it, I know about it’s reputation - but that’s what a warranty is for and the dealer experience was very good indeed (they usually are when you want to spend money though).
Enjoy your Strom, they generally are very reliable, but keep an eye on corrosion
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline haggetty

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 00:13:13 »
Yes, it’s the way of the world I’m afraid! It highlights the necessity to have a bike under warranty doesn’t it. People seem to worry about the engine most of all but that’s generally the most reliable part. It’s all the electronics that seem to cause most of the expensive problems these days. I hope it doesn’t prove the Suzukis Achilles heel.
The GSA 1250 is a great bike to ride for sure, just get one with at least 2 years dealer warranty.
I took my GSA from 6500miles to 13,000 in 10months (most done on a trip up to the Arctic Circle). In that time it had a new headlamp (failure), cam chain tensioner (LH cyl rattle), swingarm(corrosion), Driveshaft (failed check) and Final drive (replaced in error - bonus).
Dealer service second to none though (Woollaston).

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 17:47:59 »
Having a bike (or any vehicle) under warranty isn't always the best option. A warranty means you have to wait on a dealer to fix, argue the extent of the cover and be careful what modifications you make in case in invalidate said warranty. Some makes will let you use other garages to service, but some are funny and try and make you use their dealer network to insure the warranty is upheld. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have a BWM without a warranty given how often mine used to go wrong and the extortionate fees the dealer used to quote. As soon as the warranty expired and couldn't be extended (age and mileage) I sold the bike. Shame if that's the way Suzuki are going.

I switched to much older bikes that I can service myself, modify as much as I like (while keeping insurance companies happy) and not worry. Mine doesn't even have ABS, so cheap as chips to run and no need for an software degree to sort out the fault codes. I'm sure it's not a good as later models, but its a great ride so don't discount older bikes with no warranties next time you consider a change.

Glad your getting it sorted  :grin:

DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 18:38:29 »
I don't know if such services exist for bikes but I just had the abs control module on my 22 year old Volvo estate fail. A new unit would have been in excess of 4 figures but I had it refurbished for a shade over £200 with lifetime warranty and a 5 day turnaround.
As for the Vee, minimal electronics at best, I'm more hammers than laptops.