Author Topic: Bartering.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Re: Bartering.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 07:24:23 »
When times are good we donate our unwanted stuff to charity.
When times are hard we shop in charity shops.
When times are super hard maybe we haggle in charity shops or steal from them...

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 10:22:01 »
My pal XXXX was told "lose weight or die" (diabetes) he lost the weight - 16 stones down to 10 in about 18 months. Every month, as he slimmed down, he went to charity shops to get a some clothes that fitted. So good was the quality he found that now he almost always buys his clothes in charity shops along with fishing tackle and motorcycle wear. He is supporting these charity outlets.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 14:00:03 »
Well done John.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 19:16:01 »
I was at Emmaus today and asked about price policy and bartering negotiating. The 'rules' are as follows:

* At least two people must decide on the price of the goods. Unusual or valuable items need more input, often advice from outside the establishment. Price is not any more than 30% of the item new or full retail value and often offered as a bargain if in condition 'as seen'.

* Prices are not agreed or 'offers' accepted face to face with the client. If goods stay any length of time without finding interest the price is reduced for a while. Beyond that they are recycled, where possible.

As for the OP question a charity shop may have the set up of a charity business or local/specific interest. I don't know the need for training and scrutiny of staff/volunteers in the UK. The shop itself has to support the rates/rent along with all other costs when occupying  premises. Shop prices have to shoulder at least that. I don't see any surprise that they have to raise prices to stay open.

My rare visits to old haunts in England tells me that a charity shop, or several, helps prop up high streets and may not be really what communities should be about but that starts another line of political discussion.........
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 16:46:33 »
I'm glad that's all cleared up then ...
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2022, 13:13:22 »
This is an old thread now but for what it's worth, I am the OP, I went into the charity shop the other day and gave them my Panasonic TV which I had replaced with a smart TV. Obviously it was a free donation but the didn't offer me a £10ner because it was in perfect condition and even had the instructions and new batteries in the remote.

So, not that I did before after haggling, any feeling of guilt would now be now gone.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2022, 13:29:03 »
I'm really not sure you've quite grasped the concept of the charity shop. But give yourself a pat on the back for the batteries.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2022, 16:25:25 »
Most charity shops will not sell electrical items because they have to be ( PAT)  tested to ensure they do not electrocute the purchaser.

Charity is in the giving of the item and not the purchase of it.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.