Author Topic: Bartering.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Bartering.
« on: November 16, 2022, 17:57:57 »
How many of you would haggle in a charity shop. Even they are starting to get expensive. I saw a picture in a charity shop today, I was surprised when I saw they wanted £12.99 for it so offered £10. The lady smiled and answered 'Certainly Sir' then almost bit my hand off. Would you barter in a charity shop?

As it was I only had a tenner in my pocket so would have left it had she said 'No'. :)
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Bartering.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 18:01:21 »
Umm, that'd be bargaining, offering half a dozen eggs or the youngest child would be bartering.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 18:04:50 »
I wouldn’t normally but in this case I would have said I only had a tenner, is that enough?
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 18:41:06 »
This question was asked on TV,  the Martin Lewis show.
He did a poll on his twitter account and from memory it was pretty even.

Charity shops local to me are expensive and if I spotted something that I was interested in I'd try my luck...  :icon_wink:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 21:41:02 »
....and swipe as soon as they turned their back. :stirpot:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 21:58:28 »
Harsh ...  :shy:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 22:07:10 »
I would not accept your offer. Why? Well for the simple reason that they are a charity shop and the price is what they want and if you don't want to pay the asking price then someone else probably will in the not too distant future. If you want the item then you can go away and get the cash required to pay the asking price. The charity is not for you, you have gone there to offer your support and buy something you want. It's not a car boot sale!

I will expand further if pressed.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 08:58:15 »
Being part of the Yorkshire contingent, I will haggle for anything, anywhere, at any time. So yes, no problem  :thumb:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 09:19:29 »
Charity shops guess and estimate their prices so accepting a tenner is better for them than hanging out for a bit more and having the item hang around.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Whiterose

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 09:50:11 »
Good for you, as Henry Cole says... SPQR

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 10:29:03 »
Pricing is very subjective, depending on which volunteer is on that job on any particular day. My other half fancied a Tiffany lamp and the furniture charity we drop stuff off at had one with a £90 tag on it (wasn't even that great a copy). We were chatting with the staff about lamps in general and they said there's another one through the back that had just come in and they were thinking of £15 for it. It was a much better quality version as well, so we obviously saved them the trouble of putting it out on display.

As far as haggling goes, I'd maybe ask for an all-in price if I was buying a lot of something (like 3 complete sets of CSI DVDs I found in one) or something relatively expensive, but probably not for a single item that's not a lot of money.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 11:15:36 »
Why not offer a lower price, they can always so no. In the Doc's case the lady seemed quite happy, ("Certainly sir"), to take his money. Perhaps that picture had been there for months and Doc was the only person to show an interest?
Yes it's for charity but they have been given the stuff FOC so any amount of money they can get is a bonus.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 16:29:53 »
I know I'm from Devon, but after reading this. I am convinced there could be some Yorkshire in me. :shock:
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 19:48:43 »
Tight-fisted? Yorkshire man? A Scot even? Not everyone surely........ (Here it's someone with a hedgehog in his pocket!)

Before I continue I must say that I'm a volunteer for Emmaus and give not only my time but my working experience to repair, restore and provide a second life to all things woodwork.

I see charity is in three stages here.

1) Goods are offered free by the general public and businesses for reuse or pleasure of others.

2) Like me volunteers take time to prepare it all for sale to clients who come to our establishment looking for cheaply priced items but good for a new life to the benefit of others.

3) Clients come to view what's for sale and purchase at the price asked hopefully knowing where the proceeds go.

Replies here so far relate to the third stage of charity as I see it and it appears to be generally in the realms of getting a good bargain (there are always plenty!). Why the shop or charity is there is not relevant it seems.

I have no objection to anyone offering less than the asking price if you feel the charity can do without that extra little bit of cash. I assure you that any charity loses money if it's known to be open to accepting bargainning. Yes, we're greedy too! Above all you're not obliged to buy.

I know everyone has their opinion but like I said above we aren't talking car boot sales. We are talking money for folk who are a lot less fortunate than we are.

Respect to all but please pay generously!  :)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 20:39:28 »
My wife was until recently working as a volunteer at a hospice charity warehouse. Every day the first to arrive and strip out all the bargains are boot sale stall holders who whisk the stuff away and put a ten times price ticket on when selling.  I see no reason why a reasonable offer below the ticket price could be seen as anything underhand.  The transactions are "sales" and not "requests for charity".   The charity is in the giving of the item not the selling.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2022, 20:42:15 »
I've been bartering in charity shops  for years! Charity in its purest form is a noble gesture. But are all charities squeaky clean? Like - no back handers for employees or expenses for the 'board'. I suspect in the real world...... :icon_no:. So let's not get too holier than thou here. Give whenever we can, sure, but there are worse things than being a bit savvy with your hard earned too.
Sometimes charity begins at home :old:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 21:06:16 »
I'll remember that next time I short-change the children's' hospice shop. After all, they're only dying kids, right? Plenty more where they came from.  :GRR:

And it's haggling or bargaining, not f*#%ing bartering!!

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 21:23:37 »
Sea-Strom. Can't agree more with the 'noble gesture'.

I'm sure you're right, there are sick set ups, I'm not employed and I pay the same price for goods in the shop as as do clients.

'Your hard earned'....... lots don't have a penny (or euro). Tell them you can't afford that extra pound, nevermind the misused saying about 'charity begins at home'. (It's incomplete, if you didn't know)

Brockett, it's OK to just give your unwanted stuff away? I didn't say it was underhand to offer a lower price. I hope the maximum amount of money goes to where it's intended though!

To remind you, you're in a charity shop and the first thing you think of is.....can I get a quid or two off this?

Hmmmm, very charitable.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2022, 21:33:28 »
Wow
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 06:30:24 »
When FIL died I took most of his belongings to a charity shop. After the fourth truck full they were running out of space and so I took it down the road to another charity shop.
My impression was that quick turnover would bring in more money than keeping the prices high.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator